Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

GoldstoneCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:16 am

A recent poll showed 72% of Americans, and 61% of sports fans, would not attend a sporting event without a covid-19 vaccine. Assuming things are fairly static by fall, with some testing capacity but no ability to test the general populace, and no vaccine, would you/ your family attend a bobcat game?
My answer, at this point, is no. I'm fairly young but do have high blood pressure, adding some personal covid risk. Many of the people i interact with are in a high- risk category and unless something changes I'd not be comfortable attending. Thoughts?

PS, i don't intend for this to be a political wrestling match, just curious how other sports fans are viewing the situation currently.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alright, let's discuss the elephant in the room.

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:22 am

I would attend. And my wife and kids would too.
We still have some of those Bobcat neck gaitors they handed out over the past few years. We'd wear them, and I bet MSU would do that promotion again. Would they help? I don't know....wouldn't hurt though.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:37 am

I’m hoping we all more information and feel more comfortable sizing up this risk this fall. I’m thinking our group would be ok with going.

I’m guessing the question is will they let the team gather to practice.

Camo_Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 am

I'd be there tomorrow if they'd let me, so yes - I will be there in the fall.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:25 am

I would not go.
My decision is based on those that I come in contact with more than myself (I am not a high risk person). I would be very upset if I contracted the virus and infected someone else who became very ill.

Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:43 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 am
I'd be there tomorrow if they'd let me, so yes - I will be there in the fall.
Exactly my feeling as well. I would go back to normal today if they would let me.

"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 am

I would be there. That poll is also super misleading as it only polled 762 people. I do think there will be a football season, but I don't think there will be fans in the stands per expert medical advice.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 am

I would have no issue with attending a game, but I probably will not because I will be hunting.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:53 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:16 am
A recent poll showed 72% of Americans, and 61% of sports fans, would not attend a sporting event without a covid-19 vaccine. Assuming things are fairly static by fall, with some testing capacity but no ability to test the general populace, and no vaccine, would you/ your family attend a bobcat game?
My answer, at this point, is no. I'm fairly young but do have high blood pressure, adding some personal covid risk. Many of the people i interact with are in a high- risk category and unless something changes I'd not be comfortable attending. Thoughts?

PS, i don't intend for this to be a political wrestling match, just curious how other sports fans are viewing the situation currently.
Extremely timely and topical. Without a vaccine given the history of both polio and spinal meningitis in this country, I'd stay away. When those much more intelligent than I profess to be give the "all clear" proclamation, then I'll follow whatever guidelines they state are safe.

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 am

So in Montana as of April 20th;
• There has been a total of 433 cases that tested positive statewide
• There has been 243 that have recovered statewide
• Which leaves 190 active cases in the state
• In Gallatin County there have been 142 cases, but only 4 active cases remain & 1 hospitalized.
• There have been 11,051 tests completed
• Therefore about 4% of the people tested have the virus
• For the 1st time since mid-March, NO NEW CASES were discovered on Monday
• Of the 243 cases found, 57 have been hospitalized.
• Currently there are 19 active hospitalizations
• There have been 12 deaths statewide.

As time goes on I suspect that, in Montana, we will be able to identify pretty much all of those who have the virus. Personally, I think I will be risking more on the drive to & from Bozeman on gameday than I will be of catching the virus at the game. At least that's the way it looks to me at this point. I hope I'm right. GO CATS!

coloradocat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 am

I'll be there.

One idea would be to play non-conference games without fans. For almost all teams across the country those are the first 3-4 games of the season. That would buy more time to avoid large crowds while also allowing football to resume according to the traditional schedule. These are mostly warm-up games anyway (especially for us this year).

GoCats18
Member # Retired

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 am

I will renew my season tickets but I won’t go unless this thing is basically gone and a vaccine would be really nice. I understand people want to be back to normal, but this isn’t just about you it is about all of us.

Punters are people too!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:46 am

There's virtually no chance that sporting events will start up again as normal until we have a very strong handle on the COVID-19 situation. I think the choice of whether or not it's safe to attend football games again will largely be made for us by those in charge of deciding whether it's safe to even hold the games in the first place, given all the travel that's required for teams and referees even if there are no fans or reduced crowd sizes to allow for social distancing. I would assume that in the phased re-opening of the economy, sporting events will be among the last things to come back if not the last.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am

Yes, I would be there for 3 hours of tailgating and the game. And I am in the highest risk category.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:55 am

If the season is allowed to go forward, I will be there. However, if things stay static until this fall, I don't think there will be a season.

Common Cat
Member # Retired

Post by Common Cat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am

To early to make a decision.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Koozie

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 am

I will definitely be there if there are games. And I've already renewed my season tickets.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:30 am

Common Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am
To early to make a decision.
This

FTG- GO CATS GO!

FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:46 am
There's virtually no chance that sporting events will start up again as normal until we have a very strong handle on the COVID-19 situation. I think the choice of whether or not it's safe to attend football games again will largely be made for us by those in charge of deciding whether it's safe to even hold the games in the first place, given all the travel that's required for teams and referees even if there are no fans or reduced crowd sizes to allow for social distancing. I would assume that in the phased re-opening of the economy, sporting events will be among the last things to come back if not the last.
I would imagine, at some capacity they might start allowing games to be played. Even if that means all those who are directly involved with the game are tested before the game. Then with a very limited # of people in attendance, with prior screening. I do agree, I don't see fall sports being even close to normal, if even playing a half of a season. Even if we had to watch the whole season on TV only, at least we get to have Football.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ibleedblue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:55 am

Many people here saying “no I would not go as I want to do my part in protecting others”. That is noble and I am glad people are worried about others than just themselves.

However, I truly hope that anyone with that attitude is completely and fully vaccinated as are their children. I mean if we are truly concerned about spreading harmful diseases to others, then there are only two ways to reduce that burden. One is through herd immunity (80% of a population having antibodies) and the other through vaccination. If you’re saying “stay home” but aren’t completely vaccinated yourself, then you’re basically a hypocrite as you can spread and add to the spreading of harmful disease like pneumococcal pneumonia, flu, shingles, meningitis, measles, mumps, etc. Why do we put covid on a larger scale or platform than these others. Just something to think about. I have a feeling many who are shouting “stay home” are the same ones who never get a flu shot or don’t have their pneumococcal shots or don’t have their kids vaccinated.