Capitol Covid-19 protest

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Capitol Covid-19 protest

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Just drove by. Olszewski has his big RV parked right in front of the big flower garden. Lots of Trump flags, lots of American flags. A couple big John Deere tractors leading the march around the capitol building. Saw a few people wearing protective masks. One person had a sign that said "Free Hugs," but I didn't see anyone standing in line.

About what you would expect, except I didn't think I'd see any political stuff there.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Capitol Covid-19 protest

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:43 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:02 pm
Just drove by. Olszewski has his big RV parked right in front of the big flower garden. Lots of Trump flags, lots of American flags. A couple big John Deere tractors leading the march around the capitol building. Saw a few people wearing protective masks. One person had a sign that said "Free Hugs," but I didn't see anyone standing in line.

About what you would expect, except I didn't think I'd see any political stuff there.
I drove by as well and had a similar experience. A couple other observations:

definitely more people than I expected...I’d guess probably 300-400.

Interesting mix between people social distancing/wearing masks/staying in cars and those who were clearly trying to make a point of gathering in a tight group and not social distancing.

A few guys wearing hunting camo and face masks open carrying.

One truck was serving burgers off the back tailgate.

One guy had a sign reading “your science is not my religion”. I didn’t really understand that one.

No evidence of any confrontations. Didn’t see any police presence at all.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:49 pm

i was looked for guns, but saw none. Yeah, about 300-400 is what I thought, too and that was more than I was expecting, because I thought that since Bullock said he was going to re-open that it might have a low turnout. Who knows maybe there would've been thousands if he hadn't.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:22 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:43 pm

A few guys wearing hunting camo and face masks open carrying.
These always get me. If you want to open carry and feel it is appropriate, you shouldn't hide your identity (of course I am assuming the mask was not for their personal protection).