Montana doing Covid-19 right

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana doing Covid-19 right

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 am

hopefully all of the returning retired snow birds from California, Arizona, florida,etc. are able to travel safe and virus free.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:51 pm

I saw that Fergus County had it first positive case counted yesterday.

Problem is the person is not in Montana!!!! The positive just happens to be from Fergus county and own a residence there!!!!

It the positive is not physically in Montana then is should not count as being in Montana.

Bullock is supposedly making decisions based on this data and the data is not accurate. How can he make a good decision when the data is skewed?

Was the positive also counted where they were located?????? If the person dies will the death also be counted twice?????

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm

wapiti wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Problem is the person is not in Montana!!!! The positive just happens to be from Fergus county and own a residence there!!!!

It the positive is not physically in Montana then is should not count as being in Montana.

Bullock is supposedly making decisions based on this data and the data is not accurate. How can he make a good decision when the data is skewed?

Was the positive also counted where they were located?????? If the person dies will the death also be counted twice?????
This also happened with Montana's first case. I believe it was a woman who lived in Montana, but had been out east for a few months. I seem to remember it was a reporting guideline. Not sure if it came from local, state or federal guidance.

Edit: From wikipedia....

March 11
On March 11, the Governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan, announced that a part-time Montana and part-time Maryland resident tested positive for coronavirus in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The woman in her 70s is a part-time resident of Lake County, and because this was her primary residence, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that she would be considered Montana's first case. The woman, however, had not been in Montana since November 2019 and did not come into contact with anyone in Montana. Her being counted as a Montana case is still not officially confirmed, however, as the MDPHHS does not report the case in their official totals.[3]

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm

wapiti wrote:

Governor Bullock and his team are smart enough to account for data quirks like this when making their decisions. Montana has one of the best COVID-19 outcomes, if not the best, in the country and we're currently reopening much faster and with much more confidence that it's relatively safe to do so than virtually every other state. I'm personally very thankful for how our state & local governments, health care workers and facilities, as well as the people of Montana have handled this to minimize the impacts as much as possible.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:29 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm
wapiti wrote:

Governor Bullock and his team are smart enough to account for data quirks like this when making their decisions. Montana has one of the best COVID-19 outcomes, if not the best, in the country and we're currently reopening much faster and with much more confidence that it's relatively safe to do so than virtually every other state. I'm personally very thankful for how our state & local governments, health care workers and facilities, as well as the people of Montana have handled this to minimize the impacts as much as possible.
This is the data being showed to the public and used by the stupid media and it is skewed. If a Montana resident tests positive in Maryland, then that positive should be added to Maryland's total only and not Montana's. If that person were some how to arrive in Montana while positive then it could be added to Montana.

Plus, I am not convinced that Bullock is adjusting the data for this scenario.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:01 pm

wapiti wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:29 pm
MSU01 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

This is the data being showed to the public and used by the stupid media and it is skewed. If a Montana resident tests positive in Maryland, then that positive should be added to Maryland's total only and not Montana's. If that person were some how to arrive in Montana while positive then it could be added to Montana.

How do you think Bullock is not adjusting the data for this scenario? Montana's new case numbers, whether you count this new Fergus County case or not, have plummeted to near zero, so he has appropriately decided to begin re-opening the state. One case in Fergus County that's actually a person currently out of state isn't going to change anything that he's decided to do, whether you agree with his decisions or not. I know of two Montana cases like this - the very first one assigned to Montana and then this one. 453 cases vs 451 isn't going to change any decisions, and we also can't assume that the reverse scenario hasn't happened (non-resident located in Montana tests positive but has case assigned to his/her home state). If you want to call the media stupid for reporting two cases you don't agree with that amount to 0.4% of all cases in the state, then by all means go ahead but that seems rather pointless and silly to me.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:01 pm
wapiti wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

How do you think Bullock is not adjusting the data for this scenario? Montana's new case numbers, whether you count this new Fergus County case or not, have plummeted to near zero, so he has appropriately decided to begin re-opening the state. One case in Fergus County that's actually a person currently out of state isn't going to change anything that he's decided to do, whether you agree with his decisions or not. I know of two Montana cases like this - the very first one assigned to Montana and then this one. 453 cases vs 451 isn't going to change any decisions, and we also can't assume that the reverse scenario hasn't happened (non-resident located in Montana tests positive but has case assigned to his/her home state). If you want to call the media stupid for reporting two cases you don't agree with that amount to 0.4% of all cases in the state, then by all means go ahead but that seems rather pointless and silly to me.
You're thinking too small. How many positive cases and deaths across our nation have been counted twice??

How do you know Bullock is adjusting the data???

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 am

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/accurate- ... d=70385359

Here's an article on the accuracy of US death counts. Looks like it's way off.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 am

So why was no alarm raised to all of these deaths prior to Covid-19 becoming an issue??
Covid-19 was in the US months prior to the reactions we took.
So by the time we took the measure we did, Covid-19 had already done most of its damage. Except for the damage caused by the reaction we took.

This would also mean hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of people had the virus and recovered.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:38 am

wapiti wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 am
iaafan wrote:

So why was no alarm raised to all of these deaths prior to Covid-19 becoming an issue??
So by the time we took the measure we did, Covid-19 had already done most of its damage. Except for the damage caused by the reaction we took.

This would also mean hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of people had the virus and recovered.
Plenty of alarm was raised prior to the reactions that were taken. Unfortunately, the federal government spent much of the months of January and February calling it a Democratic hoax (huh?), saying with no factual basis that warm weather would kill off the virus, and claiming that the 15 cases would soon magically drop to zero to do anything about that alarm. We could've easily done a better job both saving lives AND limiting economic damage by acting earlier to ramp up testing capabilities and limit the spread of the virus early on, when as you say it was spreading largely undetected to an extent that an explosion in cases and deaths (and the attendant economic damage) was inevitable and unstoppable.

We need accurate antibody testing to determine just how many people have been infected - all we have at this point is wishful thinking from people who hope that millions of people were infected and recovered, and highly dubious studies based on currently available antibody tests that have turned out to have such high false positive rates as to make their conclusions virtually meaningless.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 am

wapiti wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 am
iaafan wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least that possibly millions have had the virus and recovered.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 01, 2020 10:14 am

The fergus county one is weird to me. The fact that it shows as an active case on the map seems odd. I know they have to report them somewhere but this one showing as active gives a false impression that you might catch it in Lewistown. That is actually one place where I think they could be completely back to normal.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:09 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:01 pm
wapiti wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

You're thinking too small. How many positive cases and deaths across our nation have been counted twice??

How do you know Bullock is adjusting the data???
Seems like it’d be a lot easier to not count cases/deaths that DID happen than it is to count cases/deaths that didn’t happen.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat May 02, 2020 3:34 pm

At least Bullock did not pull an Andrew Como sending...wolves into a sheep pen - so much for a kinder, gentler, and more humane, as he likes to think of himself.
New York’s nursing homes weren’t allowed to challenge a controversial order to admit patients with the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said...
https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/nursing-h ... uomo-says/
“What’s really happened in nursing homes is what we’ve feared from the get-go,” Cuomo said. He called them “ground zero” for the virus and added:

“It just takes one [infected] person … to walk in there and then it is fire through dry grass.”

As a statement of fact, there is nothing wrong and everything right with those words. But the governor’s clear understanding of the special circumstances that nursing homes face deepens the mystery about why he allowed his Department of Health to force sick patients into those same facilities.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/28/more-bloo ... s-goodwin/

Edit:
My major concern is Governors using a public health issue to further a agenda and do things like close down church gatherings. I know the first amendment says
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
, so our governors doing the same is eerily over the top to me.

Socialism - the financial model historically used to control the masses! It has noting to do with
freedom, and seriously erodes the primary constitutional freedom of free enterprise.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 07, 2020 5:34 pm