Montana doing Covid-19 right

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana doing Covid-19 right

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:05 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 am

The cases reported are from the day before Phil. When it says zero on today’s report that’s for Sunday. It states this on the web site.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:59 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:53 am
allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:38 am
It appears Montana has zero cases and no deaths in its report today!! (Web page is supposed to update at 10:00 am and it’s past 10:30)

ND 42 new cases and three deaths.

SD no report yet.
7 cases, no deaths.
That’s yesterday.
You are right. The map just updated for me. 0 new. 19 hospitalized.
ZERO new cases is great news. Hopefully people continue to practice their social distancing and we can start opening things up sooner than later.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Montana averages about 1 case per 26.5 tests. This last test period there were 153 tests with no cases.

So if someone that went to the protest yesterday starts feeling sick, how long would they wait before getting tested? If someone really wants to get all the businesses back open bad enough to march in that protest, then they might not want to admit they got it.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Well. The day came and went and nothing from Bullock about reopening Montana or recovering Montana's economy.

Bullock is failing Montana!!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:39 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Well. The day came and went and nothing from Bullock about reopening Montana or recovering Montana's economy.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/c ... 77bf5.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:39 pm
wapiti wrote:

That article was written last week. I read it.
Bullock has not proposed any plan yet. Just some vague idea of a gradual reopening.
Business need to know when they are allowed to reopen so they may prepare.

coachouert
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by coachouert » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:45 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

Bullock has not proposed any plan yet. Just some vague idea of a gradual reopening.
It was written THREE days ago. Please outline your plan to reopen a state in three days since it’s so easy.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:01 pm

coachouert wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:45 pm
wapiti wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
wapiti wrote:

It was written THREE days ago. Please outline your plan to reopen a state in three days since it’s so easy.
At least 2 other states already have.
Just under half of the counties in MT do not report a positive case. That should make the it really easy for these counties.
Montana is a sparsely populated state, which should make it easier to make a plan.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:35 am

In South Dakota people have been very upset with the inaction by the Governor. Most cities did their best to shutdown nonessential businesses, but in Sioux Falls it was too late. Right now Sioux Falls has more cases than Minneapolis, and this will certainly remain the case in the foreseeable future. It was so bad in Sioux Falls that the CDC had to come in to help get the outbreak under control. There has been a drop off of positive cases recently (we were 100+ for several days but are now in the 70-90 range), but there is suspicion that we are very low on tests contributing to the drop of positive cases. Right now 14% of tests are coming back positive. If you think South Dakota has done this properly, you are sorely mistaken. Montana has done a great job, and that has to do with state and local government. South Dakota’s government decided to do nothing, and suffered with one of the highest per-capital number of cases. Trust me; the grass is not greener on the other side.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:15 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:35 am
In South Dakota people have been very upset with the inaction by the Governor. Most cities did their best to shutdown nonessential businesses, but in Sioux Falls it was too late. Right now Sioux Falls has more cases than Minneapolis, and this will certainly remain the case in the foreseeable future. It was so bad in Sioux Falls that the CDC had to come in to help get the outbreak under control. There has been a drop off of positive cases recently (we were 100+ for several days but are now in the 70-90 range), but there is suspicion that we are very low on tests contributing to the drop of positive cases. Right now 14% of tests are coming back positive. If you think South Dakota has done this properly, you are sorely mistaken. Montana has done a great job, and that has to do with state and local government. South Dakota’s government decided to do nothing, and suffered with one of the highest per-capital number of cases. Trust me; the grass is not greener on the other side.
Thanks Butcher. Nice to get some perspective from someone who is experiencing different things.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:59 am

The Butcher wrote:
Even that needs time to find out what is right or wrong. None of us know the ultimate infection rate. I would say that we did it proper for what we knew when it started. When should it open, who knows? I have to admit I feel better being in Montana the South Dakota, right now. I qualify this by saying they may ultimately be better off, in the long run. I think leadership means getting the best info you have and making a decision. Inaction means no action. Most times I pick a side and back it. I have to admit when it might mean dead people, it makes the decision much harder. I'm backing both Trump and Bullock on these things.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:44 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Another 70 cases in SD today. At 2,031 cases per million population, they are 13th in the nation. Montana is 49th.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am

Only two cases in Montana today. No deaths. We have the second least cases, behind Alaska, and second least cases per million, behind Hawaii.

Deaths and cases have come down a lot in New York the past few days, but there's been an uptick in several other places apparently, because the total cases nationally have been about the same and yesterday was an all time high for deaths.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am
Only two cases in Montana today. No deaths. We have the second least cases, behind Alaska, and second least cases per million, behind Hawaii.

Deaths and cases have come down a lot in New York the past few days, but there's been an uptick in several other places apparently, because the total cases nationally have been about the same and yesterday was an all time high for deaths.
South Dakota shot back up 100+ today with the 9th death. Testing has been an issue in South Dakota and across the country so I doubt cases will level out before June.

Here is the latest from Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington about reopening dates. So complain all you want about Montana shutting down, but it sure looks like the strategies used worked. The states that waited or never did anything are looking at mid-June

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:07 pm

The Governor finally published a reopen plan. The only issue I have with it is the counties that never had a case should be at least phase 2.

Will he have a plan to assist the state economy to rebound????

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:52 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 am

South Dakota shot back up 100+ today with the 9th death. Testing has been an issue in South Dakota and across the country so I doubt cases will level out before June.

Here is the latest from Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington about reopening dates. So complain all you want about Montana shutting down, but it sure looks like the strategies used worked. The states that waited or never did anything are looking at mid-June

It’ll be interesting to watch SD the next 7-10 days to see if the deaths stay low. I believe a higher percentage of people infected are from healthier demographics, so they should stay relatively low. Right now at 1,956 cases with 9 deaths. All states within 500 cases of that are at 44 or more with a high of 112.

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:06 pm

I have relatives in Iowa where they took all of this more casually. Now they are getting very alarmed! I see they are in the latest reopening group. Thanks for posting the map.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 am

I just noticed the state Covid map has a tab for "active cases." Gallatin county sitting pretty good with only 5 active cases in the entire county. Yellowstone, Missoula, Flathead and Toole are the only counties with 10 or more.

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma ... 2103421d4b

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:44 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 am
I just noticed the state Covid map has a tab for "active cases." Gallatin county sitting pretty good with only 5 active cases in the entire county. Yellowstone, Missoula, Flathead and Toole are the only counties with 10 or more.

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma ... 2103421d4b
Montana is ready IMO. Only one case on the report today. I'm not too sure about the other states that are re-opening parts of their states today and in near future. We'll see. North Dakota is getting progressively worse. So is Wyoming. And Idaho's and SD's situations are well documented. That's the only thing that has me a little leery. I hope everyone remains responsible and we can at least secure Montana from this thing.