Worldwide coronavirus meter

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Worldwide coronavirus meter

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:24 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:00 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:00 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:27 pm
Things ticking up in South Dakota the last two days. Went from 10-15 cases/day to 32 yesterday and 73 today.
Looks like 228/393 located in Sioux Falls.
Another big, relative to Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming, jump yesterday. Biggest yet for SD. 89 new cases, over 530 total now.
The Sun Valley, ID numbers are also incredibly high, especially for such a small community.
Due to lots of retirees (older people) that were riding lifts together? Germany and Italy have such high death rates, in part, due to high median age.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:31 am

USA now has the most deaths and in a few days will have more cases than the next four countries (Spain, Italy, Germany and France) combined.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:25 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:31 am
USA now has the most deaths and in a few days will have more cases than the next four countries (Spain, Italy, Germany and France) combined.
Lots of interesting stats out there. One that just jumped out at me is that Montana has tested 8,000+/million people. California is at 4,000.

Also interesting to look at active cases. Montana at 202 compared to 377 total cases.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:52 pm

90 new cases in SoDak. They went from more mellow than Montana to having 5-6 times more cases per day. Are they a stay-at-home state yet?

Kansas and Nebraska really adding cases the past few days, too.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:52 pm
90 new cases in SoDak. They went from more mellow than Montana to having 5-6 times more cases per day. Are they a stay-at-state yet.

Kansas and Nebraska really adding cases the past few days, too.
2/3 of soDak cases are in Sioux Falls area, which makes sense.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Dr. Fauci: "I would hope that by November, we would have things under such control that we could have a real degree of normality."

toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:22 pm

If they got testing for the antibody, positives could have an app that gives them a pass to go anywhere.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Ugh. South Korea patients are testing positive after recovering. Apparently the disease reactivated and they didn’t re-catch it. Not sure what’s worse.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Looks like it's dying out in most places. NYC a big drop today, Europe a drop, America a drop. Only 7 cases in Montana. South Dakota is still on the rise though. There governor's gonna have a tough time getting re-elected at this rate.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Lots more death in European countries (UK, Germany, Italy, France and Spain) and about the same number of cases, but the high death rate is probably due to those countries having a more aged population. Population density is great than here, too, so that might play into it. I don't think any of them other than Germany started social distancing until late in the game. Germany has been one of the success stories in all of this. South Korea, Japan, Russia, China (not sure if I believe the latter two) have done well also.

toM StUber

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:25 pm
Looks like it's dying out in most places. NYC a big drop today, Europe a drop, America a drop. Only 7 cases in Montana. South Dakota is still on the rise though. There governor's gonna have a tough time getting re-elected at this rate.
It is felt pretty strongly Governor Noem has mishandled things in South Dakota very badly. The medical community has come down on her hard for not closing businesses or taking any real actions to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. She has left those decisions at the local level and that has really not worked out well. Right now Sioux Falls is a national hot spot adding 100+ new cases per day and has already passed Minneapolis for cases. She is now pushing for South Dakota to be part of the clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine (Trump's malaria cure) while Brazil just stopped trials of chloroquine (a similar medication) on Sunday because of side affects on people. She won't give any type of direction to anyone, and local government is starting to get very frustrated. I know right now you can go to bars, restaurants, fitness clubs, etc. in Pierre because the mayor is following the Governor's lead of not making any decisions for the people they were elected to govern. She barely beat her Democrat opponent, which was very surprising since South Dakota is firmly a Republican state, so her reelection is very much in question.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:25 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Lots of interesting stats out there. One that just jumped out at me is that Montana has tested 8,000+/million people. California is at 4,000.

Also interesting to look at active cases. Montana at 202 compared to 377 total cases.
I read something fascinating today about the reported corona deaths. Some people claim that too many deaths are being reported. At the time I hadn’t given it much thought. However, I read that flu, heart disease and pneumonia deaths have plummeted the last 2 months. So either there is suddenly a cure for these, or basically anyone who tests positive and ends up dying it will be attributed to corona regardless of the persons current health situation.

Just found that interesting.

On the other end of the spectrum, there seems to be more evidence every day that China’s numbers were much higher than reported. That’s also terrible

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:52 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 am
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I read something fascinating today about the reported corona deaths. Some people claim that too many deaths are being reported. At the time I hadn’t given it much thought. However, I read that flu, heart disease and pneumonia deaths have plummeted the last 2 months. So either there is suddenly a cure for these, or basically anyone who tests positive and ends up dying it will be attributed to corona regardless of the persons current health situation.

On the other end of the spectrum, there seems to be more evidence every day that China’s numbers were much higher than reported. That’s also terrible
Yes, china authorities are the last people I will believe. If you are in one of the susceptible groups you are much more likely to die, thus your name will be on the coronavirus list and not the pneumonia, heart disease, etc list.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes, I believe that's because there can only be one cause of death. If you're terminally ill with cancer and someone shoots and kills you, it's homicide. Whenever there's a strong flu virus, the numbers of deaths by other things go down, etc. But if you're saying that people are dying not from coronavirus, but the flu and the officials at the coroner's office are ruling it coronavirus you might be onto something.

In Russia, Putin wanted to improve the numbers on some illness, so they just started saying people died of something else and he took credit for it.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:37 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:52 am
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes, china authorities are the last people I will believe. If you are in one of the susceptible groups you are much more likely to die, thus your name will be on the coronavirus list and not the pneumonia, heart disease, etc list.
Lots of countries out there that are capable of lying, and are probably doing just that, due to how they're set up politically/bureaucratically. Like with Chernobyl.

toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:37 pm
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Lots of countries out there that are capable of lying, and are probably doing just that, due to how they're set up politically/bureaucratically. Like with Chernobyl.
Did something serious happen in chernobyl? Excellent example... Just wondering if you watched the special on chernobyl. Heard it was worth watching.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:42 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:37 pm
RickRund wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Did something serious happen in chernobyl? Excellent example... Just wondering if you watched the special on chernobyl. Heard it was worth watching.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... death-toll

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:46 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:25 pm
It is felt pretty strongly Governor Noem has mishandled things in South Dakota very badly. The medical community has come down on her hard for not closing businesses or taking any real actions to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. She has left those decisions at the local level and that has really not worked out well. Right now Sioux Falls is a national hot spot adding 100+ new cases per day and has already passed Minneapolis for cases. She is now pushing for South Dakota to be part of the clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine (Trump's malaria cure) while Brazil just stopped trials of chloroquine (a similar medication) on Sunday because of side affects on people. She won't give any type of direction to anyone, and local government is starting to get very frustrated. I know right now you can go to bars, restaurants, fitness clubs, etc. in Pierre because the mayor is following the Governor's lead of not making any decisions for the people they were elected to govern. She barely beat her Democrat opponent, which was very surprising since South Dakota is firmly a Republican state, so her reelection is very much in question.
Biggest hot spot in USA is in Sioux Falls, SD.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/ ... 138372002/

toM StUber

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:12 pm

The South Dakota Governor has repeatedly said she will not tell people or businesses what to do, she will only recommend what actions should be taken. The Sioux Falls mayor has asked her to declare a shelter in place, but she continues to refuse to do so. Noem has said this is a NY problem not a SD problem, but it appears now to be a SD problem. Medical personal anticipate 1000+ cases per day when SD peaks in June if the Governor stays the current course. It is crazy that in 7 days the number of confirmed cases tripled in SD. If I was a border state to SD I would start talking about check points on roads leaving SD.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:49 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:12 pm
The South Dakota Governor has repeatedly said she will not tell people or businesses what to do, she will only recommend what actions should be taken. The Sioux Falls mayor has asked her to declare a shelter in place, but she continues to refuse to do so. Noem has said this is a NY problem not a SD problem, but it appears now to be a SD problem. Medical personal anticipate 1000+ cases per day when SD peaks in June if the Governor stays the current course. It is crazy that in 7 days the number of confirmed cases tripled in SD. If I was a border state to SD I would start talking about check points on roads leaving SD.
She painted herself into a corner, so I can see why she won't back down, but at some point she just about has to. Otherwise she runs the risk of being the Josef Mengele of this thing.

toM StUber