what I'm going to do

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: what I'm going to do

Post by allcat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 pm

I’m getting my hair dyed.
I thought about this, I can't figure out why the hair dye? I didn't really see roots on the hair cut woman, I think she does it at home?

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm

allcat wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm
The government is going to send me $1,200, I don't need it. There are going to be a lot of people worse off than me. I'm going to give the money away. I'm not sure who or where just yet. I think that there are a lot of people in my situation. I invite anyone in my boat to join me in giving the money where it will do more good. I don't tweet but I think if someone were to put this idea out there it would hashtag big time.
Who did you end up giving the money away to?

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm

The note by @allcat just gelled something my wife and I had been talking about. Thanks for that allcat. I contacted our church and asked them to find most likely a working family that, through no fault of their own, had been laid off. They were already working very actively to find people that needed help (they even had called us, which considering our ages an offer of physical help was pretty nice to hear). They found a family with four children where both parents had been laid off. They vetted their need so we could remain anonymous, and we’ll never know who they are. We’re sending one-fourth of our government haul per month to let them apply it to this family or however they think best. I just asked to be apprised as to how the money was used. We are blessed to have a little more than we need and will go beyond the federal money as long as it’s really fulfilling a need for someone else. I hope you don’t mind my jumping in here wbtfg, but this thread really coalesced my thoughts. It’s in my best interests to keep service industry employees in business. If everyone that could, would help someone else, we might be able to flatten the economic curve.

Now if Uncle Sam could just find me with the money. We moved out-of-state and have not gotten a refund since the “tax cuts” went into effect.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:04 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm
allcat wrote:
The government is going to send me $1,200, I don't need it. There are going to be a lot of people worse off than me. I'm going to give the money away. I'm not sure who or where just yet. I think that there are a lot of people in my situation. I invite anyone in my boat to join me in giving the money where it will do more good. I don't tweet but I think if someone were to put this idea out there it would hashtag big time.
I bought $100 dollar gift cards. I could not figure out who I wanted to give it to, so I'm just doing it randomly when I am at the store. I have only given out 2 so far. I have just given them to people randomly. My wife hasn't even gotten hers yet. It's hard to know who really does need it. I also thought about dropping off some at the East Helena food bank.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:16 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:04 pm
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:
I bought $100 dollar gift cards. I could not figure out who I wanted to give it to, so I'm just doing it randomly when I am at the store. I have only given out 2 so far. I have just given them to people randomly. My wife hasn't even gotten hers yet. It's hard to know who really does need it. I also thought about dropping off some at the East Helena food bank.
That’s really a great way to do it! Kudos to you!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am

allcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:
Ya, agree it's tough to determine who really needs it. Ideally the $$ goes to families that are truly in need and not people that are just lazy and looking for governments handouts..... or worse yet people that scam and cheat the system their whole lives and don't ever really even try to contribute to society.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am
allcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:
Ya, agree it's tough to determine who really needs it. Ideally the $$ goes to families that are truly in need and not people that are just lazy and looking for governments handouts..... or worse yet people that scam and cheat the system their whole lives and don't ever really even try to contribute to society.
My wife's niece is on unemployment, she said she gets an extra $600 a week. She had more than when she works. She is a dental hygienist.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:26 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am
allcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:
My wife's niece is on unemployment, she said she gets an extra $600 a week. She had more than when she works. She is a dental hygienist.
Everyone on unemployment right now is making more than their wage. Anybody that qualifies for even one dollar of unemployment gets that extra $600. It's a flat amount. Per week.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 am

allcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:
Did you end up giving out the remaining gift cards? Any cool stories or reactions from the recipients?

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 am

Good work Allcat!!!

Great example for everyone.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed May 13, 2020 1:31 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 am
allcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:
Did you end up giving out the remaining gift cards? Any cool stories or reactions from the recipients?
The few I handed out just said thanks. I gave the others to the food bank. I don't know any gig workers, everyone else seems in really good shape. Getting 600 a week extra on unemployment made most not that needy. I'm not a big fan of food banks, but kids still need fed.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 am

I'm beginning to think I blew it. I think the people that took the money and kept ordering take-out and maybe now are going to restaurants and bars will have done the most good. Most people that got furloughed got the extra 600. It's the small joints that are going to be the hardest hit. So to you guys that just go to brewpubs and such with it, good for you.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 am

allcat wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 am
I'm beginning to think I blew it. I think the people that took the money and kept ordering take-out and maybe now are going to restaurants and bars will have done the most good. Most people that got furloughed got the extra 600. It's the small joints that are going to be the hardest hit. So to you guys that just go to brewpubs and such with it, good for you.
Eh, don't overthink it. You did a great thing and tried to help people. That's all you need to worry about.

It's like giving money to the homeless. You either do it or you don't. That choice is yours. If you think they'll just piss it away on booze you're probably not inclined to give them money. If you feel like they'll buy food or necessities than maybe you will. If you don't care what they spend it on you're more likely to give too. My opinion is once you make the choice to give someone money, what they do with it really shouldn't concern you.

During my bartending days in college people would have been disgusted in what I used their tip money to buy! :wink:

Good on you for your generosity. That's awesome.