what I'm going to do

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

allcat
Golden Bobcat

what I'm going to do

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm

The government is going to send me $1,200, I don't need it. There are going to be a lot of people worse off than me. I'm going to give the money away. I'm not sure who or where just yet. I think that there are a lot of people in my situation. I invite anyone in my boat to join me in giving the money where it will do more good. I don't tweet but I think if someone were to put this idea out there it would hashtag big time.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: what I'm going to do

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm

allcat wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm
The government is going to send me $1,200, I don't need it. There are going to be a lot of people worse off than me. I'm going to give the money away. I'm not sure who or where just yet. I think that there are a lot of people in my situation. I invite anyone in my boat to join me in giving the money where it will do more good. I don't tweet but I think if someone were to put this idea out there it would hashtag big time.
That’s awesome! Love this.

Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 pm

allcat wrote:
My wife and I were just talking about this. (I haven’t been watching this too closely but was there an upper-income cutoff?) Whether or not we receive this money we want to help those who help us, if their business is being shutdown or greatly reduced. This includes our cleaning service, our desert yard landscape crew, my barber, my wife’s hair cutter, etc. All of these providers are small family businesses or individuals.

For example, if the cleaning crew cannot come over every two weeks as scheduled, we will just keep paying them anyway. It’s the right thing to do, but it’s also in our best interest to keep them in the game as they do an unbelievable job for us. If all their clients (most of whom can afford this I suspect) would do the same, then our crew survives and we still have them on the other end. It costs us no more than we originally anticipated, and could mean the world to them. I wish I could get my hands on their client list.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Just send all your checks to me. Hope this gains traction.

Seriously though cool idea

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 pm
allcat wrote:
My wife and I were just talking about this. (I haven’t been watching this too closely but was there an upper-income cutoff?) Whether or not we receive this money we want to help those who help us, if their business is being shutdown or greatly reduced. This includes our cleaning service, our desert yard landscape crew, my barber, my wife’s hair cutter, etc. All of these providers are small family businesses or individuals.

For example, if the cleaning crew cannot come over every two weeks as scheduled, we will just keep paying them anyway. It’s the right thing to do, but it’s also in our best interest to keep them in the game as they do an unbelievable job for us. If all their clients (most of whom can afford this I suspect) would do the same, then our crew survives and we still have them on the other end. It costs us no more than we originally anticipated, and could mean the world to them. I wish I could get my hands on their client list.
It’s my understanding the cutoff is $150k for a couple.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:39 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
allcat wrote:

Correct, it starts to decrease at 75k for singles, 150k for married filing jointly. You'll still get a smaller amount up to around 169k for married I believe, before you get zero.
If you google it, there are websites that allow you to type in your income and it will tell you how much you'll receive.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:40 am

allcat wrote:
Another idea is to use the money to stimulate your local economy once the shutdown is over. Go out to eat a bunch of times to local restaurants and tip big. Those folks will be hurting for money.
Just an idea.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:03 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:40 am
allcat wrote:
Another idea is to use the money to stimulate your local economy once the shutdown is over. Go out to eat a bunch of times to local restaurants and tip big. Those folks will be hurting for money.
Just an idea.
This is what we will be doing on a small scale. Our one Grandson here has been furloughed and he and his wife are expecting their 2nd (our 9th Great Grandchild) so we will be helping them a bit AND helping some of our local small bussinesses, mostly our local breweries :yes: :yes: :yes: :lol:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 am

The point of the money is to get it moving, kind of a heart defibulator for the economy. The point is to get out and spend it, Many people will need it just to pay a few bills, these are the ones I want to help. I have no interest in giving this to save the poor starving children like Sally Struthers or the poor dogs that are being abused. My focus will be on someone I'm familiar with that I can see needs it more than I do. I'm not doing this for virtue signaling, it's just an idea to get money moving again. However you choose to use the money is great.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:18 am

Yes, there are a lot of people being laid off. They’re having a tough time getting hold of Unemployment. Many with rent and utilities, etc. due. Stressful enough without all that to deal with.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
allcat wrote:

It starts phasing out at $150k and is completely eliminated at $198k. That's taxable income, not gross. For single, it's half these numbers. I'd have to double check for head of household.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
allcat wrote:

It starts phasing out at $150k and is completely eliminated at $198k. That's taxable income, not gross. For single, it's half these numbers. I'd have to double check for head of household.
I thought I read it was based on AGI. Are you sure it’s taxable?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
allcat wrote:

You could be right. I glanced at the pub and didn’t read it thoroughly. Sorry, I should have double checked before saying anything.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 am

wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
allcat wrote:

You're right, it's adjusted gross income. Sorry, my mistake.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:01 pm

I also hope the the richest would pony up. You had 2 billionaires spend close to a billion to try and be president. You have Gates and Buffet and others pledge to give away half their fortunes. Tying together several threads I think the economic virus is going to be very devastating. I was hopeful, but pessimistic on the lifting restrictions by Easter. That goal just got a 2 week penalty. While writers like Tom could say this much better, I would love to seethes people start small business grants to help the little self employed guys get back on their feet. I know this is not eloquently put, just putting out that these thoughts bother me more than the virus worry.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:28 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
allcat wrote:

You're right, it's adjusted gross income. Sorry, my mistake.
Here's the official word: IR-2020-61

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:27 am

My wife and I are going to use the money locally with small businesses. Maybe it is goods or gift certificates, but certainly going to help the struggling small businesses with this additional money.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:52 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:27 am
My wife and I are going to use the money locally with small businesses. Maybe it is goods or gift certificates, but certainly going to help the struggling small businesses with this additional money.
=D^ =D^ =D^

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:56 pm

allcat wrote:
What did you end up deciding?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 pm

I’m getting my hair dyed.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber