AUTOMATICALLY guilty

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: AUTOMATICALLY guilty

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am

allcat wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:26 pm
Term limits will do just that. 18 years for senators, (3 terms at 6 years each), Congressmen, 18 years, (9 terms at 2 years each), and ALL appointed judges, 20 years max. We need people who are in this for the pride and civic duty of the United States of America, not for CAREERS as supposed voices of their constituents.

:coffee:
You are more generous than I would be. I would limit senators to 2 terms which would be 12 years. Congressmen I would limit to 5 terms or 10 years. I would also take away their special retirement, just normal civil service retirement.
I agree! Can't believe this hasn't gained more traction through the years.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:32 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am
allcat wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Term limits will do just that. 18 years for senators, (3 terms at 6 years each), Congressmen, 18 years, (9 terms at 2 years each), and ALL appointed judges, 20 years max. We need people who are in this for the pride and civic duty of the United States of America, not for CAREERS as supposed voices of their constituents.

You are more generous than I would be. I would limit senators to 2 terms which would be 12 years. Congressmen I would limit to 5 terms or 10 years. I would also take away their special retirement, just normal civil service retirement.
It would take an amendment, where is that gonna get traction in congress.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:10 am

allcat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:32 am
LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am
allcat wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:

It would take an amendment, where is that gonna get traction in congress.
True, but there is this route as well:
The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.