Please joe, you have embarrassed yourself enough

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Re: Please joe, you have embarrassed yourself enough

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:35 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am
Whitehouse press secretary says Obama and Biden promised a vaccine? Uhhhhhhh. Wut?

Here is the full quote by McEnany:
"And once again, compare that to Obama-Biden where they promised a vaccine, they vastly underperformed, and you have Biden's adviser – back in the Obama-Biden days – saying it's a pure miracle, fortuity that swine flu wasn't a mass casualty event of our time," she said.
Amazing how the left will take statements out of context to twist the facts.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:35 am
wbtfg wrote:
Whitehouse press secretary says Obama and Biden promised a vaccine? Uhhhhhhh. Wut?

"And once again, compare that to Obama-Biden where they promised a vaccine, they vastly underperformed, and you have Biden's adviser – back in the Obama-Biden days – saying it's a pure miracle, fortuity that swine flu wasn't a mass casualty event of our time," she said.
Thanks for that info. Thanks for the correction, that’s a mistake on my part. I try to post direct quotes or reports with full context, but missed the target this time. I’ll be better on future posts, but I encourage you to continue to fact check my info, as I’ll continue to fact check yours. :)

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Thanks for that info. Thanks for the correction, that’s a mistake on my part. I try to post direct quotes or reports with full context, but missed the target this time. I’ll be better on future posts, but I encourage you to continue to fact check my info, as I’ll continue to fact check yours. :)
👍

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:08 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:10 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

👍
Rupar owes her and his readers an apology. That's terrible.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:40 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:08 pm
I saw this earlier in the day and wasn’t sure what to make of it. There was a lot of press coverage on it and lots of questions for Trump on whether he withheld critical info from the public. His explanation was that he downplayed potential severity of the virus (still lots of questions existed at the time on how it was transmitted, etc) because he did not want the country to panic. Keep in mind, when we shut down the country how crazy things were. One guy on BN here stayed that it would kill 18 million people this year in the US. You couldn’t find toilet paper for a time. Can you imagine if Trump issued a release that created panic even though so many unknowns existed?

I admittedly thought that maybe he withheld the info so it wouldn’t affect the economy and chances to get re-elected, but that doesn’t really make sense since the severity and impacts would eventually occur. Some people will crucify me for this, but his explanation seems to make sense.

The Author, Bob Woodward also has been criticized for not releasing the information back in March to keep the country informed versus waiting six months to release it in September.

https://apnews.com/99916044401d8f8e24eb7bedfec1d5d2

Woodward himself in that article says that he wasn’t sure about the information at the time and needed to verify it, just like everyone else in the world.

I saw a timeline of events as well and Trump issued a ban on China travel at the same time. It is hard to say he wasn’t taking this serious. And the Democrats criticized him for being too overzealous in his actions regarding Covid.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:40 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I saw this earlier in the day and wasn’t sure what to make of it. There was a lot of press coverage on it and lots of questions for Trump on whether he withheld critical info from the public. His explanation was that he downplayed potential severity of the virus (still lots of questions existed at the time on how it was transmitted, etc) because he did not want the country to panic. Keep in mind, when we shut down the country how crazy things were. One guy on BN here stayed that it would kill 18 million people this year in the US. You couldn’t find toilet paper for a time. Can you imagine if Trump issued a release that created panic even though so many unknowns existed?

I admittedly thought that maybe he withheld the info so it wouldn’t affect the economy and chances to get re-elected, but that doesn’t really make sense since the severity and impacts would eventually occur. Some people will crucify me for this, but his explanation seems to make sense.

The Author, Bob Woodward also has been criticized for not releasing the information back in March to keep the country informed versus waiting six months to release it in September.

Woodward himself in that article says that he wasn’t sure about the information at the time and needed to verify it, just like everyone else in the world.

I saw a timeline of events as well and Trump issued a ban on China travel at the same time. It is hard to say he wasn’t taking this serious. And the Democrats criticized him for being too overzealous in his actions regarding Covid.
You seem to hold Woodward to a higher standard than trump, which is perplexing considering their positions.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

You seem to hold Woodward to a higher standard than trump, which is perplexing considering their positions.
Most people don't hold Trump to any standard at all...

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 am

wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Not my intention, however, if Trump is going to be critiqued for his actions, it would only be fair that Woodward and others are also critiqued. And that criticism of Woodward was coming from both left and right media outlets.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Not my intention, however, if Trump is going to be critiqued for his actions, it would only be fair that Woodward and others are also critiqued. And that criticism of Woodward was coming from both left and right media outlets.
Without question....no one is beyond critique. However, the line between critique and deflection has definitely been blurred.

grizgirl
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 am

Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I'm not sure how you came that conclusion, because he didn't say that. He said he wasn't sure about what Trump was telling him, because Trump often says things that don't check out. So he need to fact-check Trump, which is totally understandable. No one gets info from Trump and just runs with it. He wasn't talking about covid info in general, he was talking about Trump's information.
“He tells me this, and I’m thinking, ‘Wow, that’s interesting, but is it true?’ Trump says things that don’t check out, right?” Woodward told the AP during a telephone interview.

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:14 am

grizgirl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 am
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I'm not sure how you came that conclusion, because he didn't say that. He said he wasn't sure about what Trump was telling him, because Trump often says things that don't check out. So he need to fact-check Trump, which is totally understandable. No one gets info from Trump and just runs with it. He wasn't talking about covid info in general, he was talking about Trump's information.
“He tells me this, and I’m thinking, ‘Wow, that’s interesting, but is it true?’ Trump says things that don’t check out, right?” Woodward told the AP during a telephone interview.
Easy on Trump. As Tucker Carlson pointed out, this is Lindsay Graham's fault for convincing Trump to talk to Woodward. Everyone knows the POTUS is unable to do interviews. :lol:

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:03 am

grizgirl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 am
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

So like I stated earlier, he wasn’t sure and needed to verify. It seems to be the same thing???

A comment from Trump yesterday though is interesting:
‘Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, why didn’t he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn’t he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!’
— President Donald Trump
Woodward himself said that his priority was to get the book out before the election. Does that sound like someone who was concerned with keeping the country informed, or someone who had a vested interest either financially or politically?

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Without question....no one is beyond critique. However, the line between critique and deflection has definitely been blurred.
So Trump says privately that he was trying to keep the country calm, but his actions in public were to shut down travel from China, assemble a team to tackle the Coronavirus and stop the spread. Yet many Democrats, including Biden, were publicly criticizing Trump for his actions as unwarranted and overzealous. Are you outraged with those comments by those Democrats as well?

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:41 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am
So Trump says privately that he was trying to keep the country calm, but his actions in public were to shut down travel from China, assemble a team to tackle the Coronavirus and stop the spread. Yet many Democrats, including Biden, were publicly criticizing Trump for his actions as unwarranted and overzealous. Are you outraged with those comments by those Democrats as well?
Trump did not shutdown travel to China; this is pretty easy to prove. https://apnews.com/d227b34b168e576bf5068b92a03c003d

The COVID-19 task force was pretty much a farce. As we are hitting records in daily cases and deaths across the country we haven't heard from the task force basically since June. It has also been widely reported Trump stopped attending the task force meetings in May.
Now the USAID is shutting down their COVID task force. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... rce-409885
Then of course you have Trump interfering with the CDC's school reopening guidelines, reporting protocol, testing protocol, etc.

It is also laughable that people think Trump was trying to avoid panic with his downplaying of COVID. Controlling panic does not require lying to Americans and interfering with health officials. POTUS has been more interested pushing fake remedies and renaming the virus than telling people to wear a damn mask. The only panic Trump cares about is one that could hurt his reelection.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:41 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am
Trump did not shutdown travel to China; this is pretty easy to prove. https://apnews.com/d227b34b168e576bf5068b92a03c003d

The COVID-19 task force was pretty much a farce. As we are hitting records in daily cases and deaths across the country we haven't heard from the task force basically since June. It has also been widely reported Trump stopped attending the task force meetings in May.
Now the USAID is shutting down their COVID task force. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... rce-409885
Then of course you have Trump interfering with the CDC's school reopening guidelines, reporting protocol, testing protocol, etc.

It is also laughable that people think Trump was trying to avoid panic with his downplaying of COVID. Controlling panic does not require lying to Americans and interfering with health officials. POTUS has been more interested pushing fake remedies and renaming the virus than telling people to wear a damn mask. The only panic Trump cares about is one that could hurt his reelection.
So I actually try to read the articles posted here. That AP article is one of the most biased pieces I have ever read. It is a great example of manipulation by the media as the arguments made are clearly a stretch.

I also did not know what USAID is in your second article. Not sure how it will impact our Covid war domestically, but I guess we will find out.

Help me better understand what Biden’s Covid plan will do that is different and better? I know he said that we would shut down the economy, then he later said that he wouldn’t shut down the economy. I know he is big on developing a vaccine, but Trump is doing that as well.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:23 pm

Fauci was obviously very close to the situation and he did not see a problem with what Trump told Woodward.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... rus-410895

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Author of the The Atlantic article on Trump acknowledges that the anonymous sources were not enough.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/09/jeffrey-g ... od-enough/

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 pm

Trump’s campaign folks are a walking disaster! 😂😂😂

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:57 am

You gotta admit his sense for comedy is good and original. I mean who thinks this stuff up? Genius.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber