Please joe, you have embarrassed yourself enough

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Please joe, you have embarrassed yourself enough

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:52 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:52 am
“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people. You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people slow the testing down please. Slow the testing down please.’”
As asinine as that comment was, because of people’s reactions, I find myself wishing the same! Lol.

Or at least if the media didn’t focus 99% of their attention on the virus, and stoke fear, I wonder how different things would be?

Test less, don’t report, no media attention, and we’d all live happily ever after. I’m kidding. Kind of..... :-^

When I was a poor college student I drove a really crappy old pickup. I didn’t have any money to make any major repairs so I just really hoped it didn’t stop running. Because I was poor and didn’t want to take it to a mechanic, whenever the truck developed a new clicking, knocking, squealing, or groaning sound, I just turned up the radio volume and that made all the trucks sounds of distress go away.

That’s what Trump’s comment reminds me of.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:52 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:52 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:52 am
“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people. You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people slow the testing down please. Slow the testing down please.’”
As asinine as that comment was, because of people’s reactions, I find myself wishing the same! Lol.

Or at least if the media didn’t focus 99% of their attention on the virus, and stoke fear, I wonder how different things would be?

Test less, don’t report, no media attention, and we’d all live happily ever after. I’m kidding. Kind of..... :-^

When I was a poor college student I drove a really crappy old pickup. I didn’t have any money to make any major repairs so I just really hoped it didn’t stop running. Because I was poor and didn’t want to take it to a mechanic, whenever the truck developed a new clicking, knocking, squealing, or groaning sound, I just turned up the radio volume and that made all the trucks sounds of distress go away.

That’s what Trump’s comment reminds me of.
I'm trying to think of analogy of when you can fix a problem by ignoring it. I think that works in psychology, but not on physical or verbal mistake/problems. People dwell on something they said or did wrong and that only creates another problem. They can't actually go back and fix what they said or did, because what's done is done and dwelling on the remorse just causes another problem, so the best thing they can do is say they're sorry, or pay for it, and let it go.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:41 am

It has been 82 days since Joe Biden has given a press conference. Wow! Keep Joe in the basement so he can’t supply another gaffe. These presidential debates are going to be golden.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:41 am
It has been 82 days since Joe Biden has given a press conference. Wow! Keep Joe in the basement so he can’t supply another gaffe. These presidential debates are going to be golden.
Is that normal? Abnormal? How often does a candidate challenging a sitting president hold press conferences in May/June of an election year. 82 days seems like a lot, but how does it compare to previous election years?

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:37 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Is that normal? Abnormal? How often does a candidate challenging a sitting president hold press conferences in May/June of an election year. 82 days seems like a lot, but how does it compare to previous election years?
That is such a dumb question, I won’t even research it. It is an election year! Most candidates are looking for any exposure with the media. Just look at the run up for the Democrat nomination. After Biden secures the nomination, he goes off the grid. He quit scheduling appearances.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:36 pm

[quote=Cataholic post_id=707688 time=1593028922 user_id=21338]
[quote=wbtfg post_id=707675 time=1593023828 user_id=124]
[quote=Cataholic post_id=707671 time=1593020513 user_id=21338]
[/quote]

[/quote]
That is such a dumb question, I won’t even research it. It is an election year! Most candidates are looking for any exposure with the media. Just look at the run up for the Democrat nomination. After Biden secures the nomination, he goes off the grid. He quit scheduling appearances.
[/quote]

Didn't he just do a thing with Obama? Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen him meeting with George Floyd's family? I don't think he's exactly gone off the grid. I don't think he's done any town halls/rallies, but he hasn't been in a bunker somewhere.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:37 pm
Cataholic wrote:
If I was running a campaign against Trump, I'd keep my candidate out of the media more than in a normal year. The more Trump talks the more chance there is for him to say stupid things, so let him talk himself into a hole which he does so well. Trump also absolutely thrives on having an opponent to fight, a villain for his fanbase to attack, so I would try to make it so Trump is just punching air.

But there is a reason I'm not in politics. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 pm

Believe that’s the strategy to date. Let 45 be himself.

Seems to be working if the current polls are correct.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 am

77matcat wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 pm
Believe that’s the strategy to date. Let 45 be himself.

Seems to be working if the current polls are correct.
It sure is working. Per NBC News:

Wednesday’s national New York Times/Siena poll had Trump down 14 points to Joe Biden, becoming the third gold-standard, live-caller poll this month to show the president trailing by double digits.

Battleground polls out today from the New York Times/Siena find Trump down 6 points in Florida, 7 points in Arizona, 9 points in North Carolina, 10 points in Pennsylvania, and 11 points each in Michigan and Wisconsin.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 am

Cataholic wrote:
When you're way behind you have to bring the fight, so this is why Trump sycophants are trying to make this an issue. Rope-a-dope, as Muhammed Ali would say. Trump will punch himself out like George Foreman did in the Rumble in the Jungle where Ali introduced the rope-a-dope tactic. This fight won't go no eight rounds though.

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:24 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 am
Cataholic wrote:
When you're way behind you have to bring the fight, so this is why Trump sycophants are trying to make this an issue. Rope-a-dope, as Muhammed Ali would say. Trump will punch himself out like George Foreman did in the Rumble in the Jungle where Ali introduced the rope-a-dope tactic. This fight won't go no eight rounds though.
Interesting how you don’t deny that Biden is in hiding. Truly remarkable that someone running for president won’t make a public appearance because it could hurt his appeal!

You are right it won’t go 8 rounds. The presidential debates will eliminate Biden as a legit candidate.

Yesterday however did provide some exposure for Senator Tim Scott from South Carolina. I am just learning more about this person, but my initial impressions have been outstanding. I hope he becomes a vocal leader in the Republican Party and eyes a presidential run in 2024.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:24 am

Interesting how you don’t deny that Biden is in hiding. Truly remarkable that someone running for president won’t make a public appearance because it could hurt his appeal!

You are right it won’t go 8 rounds. The presidential debates will eliminate Biden as a legit candidate.

Yesterday however did provide some exposure for Senator Tim Scott from South Carolina. I am just learning more about this person, but my initial impressions have been outstanding. I hope he becomes a vocal leader in the Republican Party and eyes a presidential run in 2024.
Biden is behaving how a person in his 70s has been instructed by health authorities to behave in the middle of a pandemic that is very, very dangerous for someone in that age group. He's conducting many online events - if you want to say that those are somehow not as valid as flying to Oklahoma to show off your one-handed water drinking skills to a 1/3 full arena, then by all means go ahead, I suppose.

I will be shocked if there are any presidential debates this fall.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Cataholic
Member # Retired

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:46 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 am
Cataholic wrote:

Biden is behaving how a person in his 70s has been instructed by health authorities to behave in the middle of a pandemic that is very, very dangerous for someone in that age group. He's conducting many online events - if you want to say that those are somehow not as valid as flying to Oklahoma to show off your one-handed water drinking skills to a 1/3 full arena, then by all means go ahead, I suppose.

No need to pack an arena to field questions. Biden could easily have a press conference via the many group video applications available today. And the few video appearances from Biden’s basement have been a “gaffe” bonanza. Not only will he make statements like “you ain’t black if you don’t vote for me”, but he can’t put together a coherent series of thoughts.

There is zero reason to not have a presidential debate. They can do it in a TV studio with no crowd. They could actually do it via video if needed. Actually, there is one reason to not do it: Biden would would be exposed. In the democratic debates, he shared the stage with 10+ people and performed poorly. A one on one with Trump will be ugly.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:13 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:46 am
MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

No need to pack an arena to field questions. Biden could easily have a press conference via the many group video applications available today. And the few video appearances from Biden’s basement have been a “gaffe” bonanza. Not only will he make statements like “you ain’t black if you don’t vote for me”, but he can’t put together a coherent series of thoughts.

There is zero reason to not have a presidential debate. They can do it in a TV studio with no crowd. They could actually do it via video if needed. Actually, there is one reason to not do it: Biden would would be exposed. In the democratic debates, he shared the stage with 10+ people and performed poorly. A one on one with Trump will be ugly.
Trump has completely changed the rules of engagement and criteria for being President. If you try running a typical campaign against him you are probably going to lose. Why debate? What do you gain? What's the point anymore? Like I said, not engaging Trump may be the best strategy against him. Don't get down in the mud with him.

However it would be fairly entertaining to see the two worst-spoken Presidential candidates that I can ever recall go at it though. Drinking game every time one of them says something that isn't actually a word.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 am

Cataholic wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I don't think either Biden or Trump have a whole lot to gain from debating. Both well over 70 years old and facing legitimate health questions, with each side watching the other candidate like a hawk for every hesitation or misstated word while speaking to edit into the next negative political ad. Personally I find it quite sad that these are the best candidates our two major political parties can come up with to run for President, but here we are.

Biden has stated he will adhere to the debate schedule as put out by the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, while Trump is already making demands for more debates with veto power over moderators. If there aren't debates it'll be because of Trump.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 am
Cataholic wrote:

You've got a really baaaaad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome, my friend? :lol: :lol: Usually the challenger needs to debate the incumbent. Biden, the challenger, just needs to show up on Election Day. Whoever has the democrat nomination would beat Trump. Actually Trump will beat himself no matter who runs against him.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 am

I would love to watch Trump debate a paper sack! Trump is easily confused from drinking bleach, what the 19 in COVID-19 stands for, aids vaccine, Tim Apple, etc.

BozoneCat
Member # Retired

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
There is zero reason to not have a presidential debate. They can do it in a TV studio with no crowd. They could actually do it via video if needed.
I completely agree with this. I believe that the Presidential debates are a very important institution in our election cycle. There is no good medical reason why we couldn't have these and safely maintain all precautions.
Cataholic wrote:
Actually, there is one reason to not do it: Biden would would be exposed. In the democratic debates, he shared the stage with 10+ people and performed poorly. A one on one with Trump will be ugly.
Without disagreeing about your statements re: Biden... I think you vastly overestimate Trump's debating abilities. When Biden has his regular missteps, it comes across as "old man getting dementia" kind of stuff. When Trump has his daily missteps, it comes across more as "angry old bigoted/racist/rich/narcissist" kind of stuff.

The debates are going to be for the ages - just not in a good way. But I won't miss a second of them.

GO CATS GO!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:40 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 pm
Cataholic wrote:
There is zero reason to not have a presidential debate. They can do it in a TV studio with no crowd. They could actually do it via video if needed.
I completely agree with this. I believe that the Presidential debates are a very important institution in our election cycle. There is no good medical reason why we couldn't have these and safely maintain all precautions.
Cataholic wrote:
Actually, there is one reason to not do it: Biden would would be exposed. In the democratic debates, he shared the stage with 10+ people and performed poorly. A one on one with Trump will be ugly.
Without disagreeing about your statements re: Biden... I think you vastly overestimate Trump's debating abilities. When Biden has his regular missteps, it comes across as "old man getting dementia" kind of stuff. When Trump has his daily missteps, it comes across more as "angry old bigoted/racist/rich/narcissist" kind of stuff.

The debates are going to be for the ages - just not in a good way. But I won't miss a second of them.
Well, Trump did win the last election, so he must have not completely blown it in the 2016 debates...

I agree, the debates will be must-see TV and not in a good way.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

BozoneCat
Member # Retired

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:51 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:40 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:36 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Well, Trump did win the last election, so he must have not completely blown it in the 2016 debates...

I agree, the debates will be must-see TV and not in a good way.
I don't know that I agree that Trump did great in the 2016 debates. I actually thought he did somewhat poorly, he's just not a very well-spoken guy - and I WANTED him to do well! I still voted for him in 2016, but it was more for 1.) anti-Hillary and 2.) I wanted to see somebody that wasn't a career politician that would run the country more as a business and not pander to the lobbyists. Now that I have 3+ years of data on watching how Trump has run his administration and this country, I am convinced that he is the embodiment of pure hatred and him winning this election would have absolute dire consequences for this country. As I've said, I'm not sure yet that I'll vote for Biden, as I don't believe in casting my vote for someone I don't believe in, but there is literally nothing that could convince me to vote for Trump again. I don't care if he enacted a policy all by himself that grew my 401K by 10,000% in the next 6 months, I wouldn't vote for him. Biden is kind of a "meh" candidate to me, but he doesn't scare my like Bernie would have.

GO CATS GO!!!