Cure worse than the problem?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:41 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:30 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:44 pm
It is really, really, weird to compare the response to H1N1 to COVID. H1N1 claimed 12,000 American lives and COVID over 242,000 American lives. We lost more American lives in the last two weeks than the whole H1N1 outbreak. I guess if you want to compare Biden's response to Trump's response, the overwhelming conclusion is Biden is better suited.

Giving Trump any credit for the vaccine is just untrue...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart ... c1a8923e49
So we can't give Trump credit for fast tracking a vaccine and putting incredible resources towards developing a cure, but we can blame him for the Pandemic?
I find this a bit curious myself. :-k
Trump isn't 100% to blame for the Pandemic, but when you say it's just going to go away and continually downplay it for months, then get caught on tape saying you actually knew how bad it was (Woodward), then blame is going to be pointed at you. Add that to pushing hydroxy, Lysol, and all the other false and misleading claims that he made, then yes he can certainly be blamed for the how poorly things have gone with the pandemic in this country.

Trump doesn't deserve 100% credit for the vaccine. Per Pfizer, Trump did nothing to fast track the vaccine in their effort. Pfizer took no federal funds and took on all the risk of its development. You can give Trump some credit since the incentive for developing a vaccine was put out there by his administration.

Trump takes 0% blame for the Pandemic and 100% credit for the vaccine. Hence people like to point out the truth of the matter.

Overall, Trump has done much more damage than good on the Pandemic, including economically, physically and mentally.
Much of what you say is probably true. Though my comment to BBB didn't speak to the extremes you listed above. Everything you cited above was in absolutes. 100%. I don't think that is EVER the case with anything. People shouldn't be giving Trump 100% credit for a vaccine just like they shouldn't blame him 100% for the virus. But that's not what BBB asked.

I think Trump should get some credit for the fast-tracking of the vaccine. I don't believe we've seen anything like it in my life. I would never give him ALL the credit because that seems asinine. But as our President, if he's going to be blamed for much of what we've done wrong in regards to the pandemic (and he should take some blame) I choose to think he played a part in some of the good things we've done too.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:52 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:41 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
It is really, really, weird to compare the response to H1N1 to COVID. H1N1 claimed 12,000 American lives and COVID over 242,000 American lives. We lost more American lives in the last two weeks than the whole H1N1 outbreak. I guess if you want to compare Biden's response to Trump's response, the overwhelming conclusion is Biden is better suited.

So we can't give Trump credit for fast tracking a vaccine and putting incredible resources towards developing a cure, but we can blame him for the Pandemic?
Trump isn't 100% to blame for the Pandemic, but when you say it's just going to go away and continually downplay it for months, then get caught on tape saying you actually knew how bad it was (Woodward), then blame is going to be pointed at you. Add that to pushing hydroxy, Lysol, and all the other false and misleading claims that he made, then yes he can certainly be blamed for the how poorly things have gone with the pandemic in this country.

Trump doesn't deserve 100% credit for the vaccine. Per Pfizer, Trump did nothing to fast track the vaccine in their effort. Pfizer took no federal funds and took on all the risk of its development. You can give Trump some credit since the incentive for developing a vaccine was put out there by his administration.

Trump takes 0% blame for the Pandemic and 100% credit for the vaccine. Hence people like to point out the truth of the matter.

Overall, Trump has done much more damage than good on the Pandemic, including economically, physically and mentally.
Much of what you say is probably true. Though my comment to BBB didn't speak to the extremes you listed above. Everything you cited above was in absolutes. 100%. I don't think that is EVER the case with anything. People shouldn't be giving Trump 100% credit for a vaccine just like they shouldn't blame him 100% for the virus. But that's not what BBB asked.

I think Trump should get some credit for the fast-tracking of the vaccine. I don't believe we've seen anything like it in my life. I would never give him ALL the credit because that seems asinine. But as our President, if he's going to be blamed for much of what we've done wrong in regards to the pandemic (and he should take some blame) I choose to think he played a part in some of the good things we've done too.
Trump takes 100% credit for the vaccine and accepts no blame for the Pandemic. He's the POTUS. His words matter greatly. If he's going to make these claims, then he's open to all kinds of criticism.

Charles Manson was a good guitar player and Ted Bundy was a gourmet, but people don't bring that up much when they talk about them. Trump's indiscretions and false statements are on such a grand scale that people offset them in kneejerk fashion, which should come as no surprise. However, his sycophants all come to the rescue. I guess we should talk about all the good things Charles Manson and Ted Bundy did, too.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:52 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Trump takes 100% credit for the vaccine and accepts no blame for the Pandemic. He's the POTUS. His words matter greatly. If he's going to make these claims, then he's open to all kinds of criticism.

Charles Manson was a good guitar player and Ted Bundy was a gourmet, but people don't bring that up much when they talk about them. Trump's indiscretions and false statements are on such a grand scale that people offset them in kneejerk fashion, which should come as no surprise. However, his sycophants all come to the rescue. I guess we should talk about all the good things Charles Manson and Ted Bundy did, too.
Again, all likely true but doesn't speak to what me and BBB were saying. I think Trump is an idiot. I don't really care what he claims he did and didn't do. He's talked himself up more than anyone I can recall in my lifetime. He can say until he's blue in the face that the vaccine was 100% his doing. He can say until he's blue in the face he handled the pandemic perfectly. It doesn't make it so....

It still doesn't change the fact that as the leader of our country, there will be some bad to take with the good. We're too smart to accept the idea that the success of the vaccine should be credited to him....100%. That's crazy. But he likely had a role. I don't think people blame Trump 100% for the pandemic. That too would be crazy. But there's a lot of blame for him in how he's handled it. And rightfully so.

So I agreed with BBB that I found it curious that we are good with laying so much blame on Trump for the bad things in regards to the virus, but we don't want to give him credit for any of the good. This has nothing to do with how Trump views Trump. I'm speaking to how citizens view Trump. And like everything else it appears to be divided right down the middle. Politics in this country are just gross right now. :lol:

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Are you really using mass murderers to try and make a point? If you read what I wrote I said 99%. They would be part of the 1%.

Seriously man you are better than this.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:56 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:37 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Are you really using mass murderers to try and make a point? If you read what I wrote I said 99%. They would be part of the 1%.

Seriously man you are better than this.
Well, when people complain that Charles and Ted don't get enough credit for the good things they did, I'll use Trump to try to make a point and maybe get questioned for doing that, too. :wink:

Actually your post in this string of quoted posts is about five back, so I was mostly responding to iltc. I don't see anything about 99% in that post, but maybe you're referring to another post that I didn't see.

Back to Chuck and Ted. That's called exaggerating to make a point. So, yes, I was using mass murderers to make a point. The point is that people don't always deserve any credit for the good they do, because the bad they do is so overwhelming. Sometimes you need to exaggerate to get people to understand that.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:29 pm

This is nuts man. You honestly can't believe everything Trump has done is bad or that he is such a bad man that his good items dont count. He isn't a mass murderer and he is not evil. Is he annoying, yep, is he egotistical and uncouth, yep, does he say inflammatory things, yep.

What about his tax cuts? Did they not personally help you? I know they helped my family and all of my employees.

Again I am choosing to believe you are better than this, its not rational.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:03 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:29 pm
This is nuts man. You honestly can't believe everything Trump has done is bad or that he is such a bad man that his good items dont count. He isn't a mass murderer and he is not evil. Is he annoying, yep, is he egotistical and uncouth, yep, does he say inflammatory things, yep.

What about his tax cuts? Did they not personally help you? I know they helped my family and all of my employees.

You're right, and like I just said above, I don't think everything Trump has done is bad, but the bad he's done makes what good he's done nearly meaningless. He isn't a mass murderer, but his actions and inactions are partly responsible for the Pandemic being as bad as it is. His rallies have caused people to catch Covid and die. His words have inspired mass murderers and violence.

Stanford University study says Trump rallies may be responsible for 700 deaths: https://www.vox.com/2020/10/31/21543277 ... infections

Violence/murder:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/blame-a ... d=58912889

https://theintercept.com/2019/08/04/el- ... ald-trump/

https://apnews.com/article/7d0949974b16 ... ab1f85aa16

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:11 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:03 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:

You're right, and like I just said above, I don't think everything Trump has done is bad, but the bad he's done makes what good he's done nearly meaningless. He isn't a mass murderer, but his actions and inactions are partly responsible for the Pandemic being as bad as it is. His rallies have caused people to catch Covid and die. His words have inspired mass murderers and violence.

Stanford University study says Trump rallies may be responsible for 700 deaths: https://www.vox.com/2020/10/31/21543277 ... infections

Violence/murder:

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. I'm all for laying blame where it is deserved.

1. Do you blame (partly or fully) NY Governor Cuomo for nursing home deaths with putting covid + patients inside those nursing homes?

2. Do you blame the riots and demonstrations for spreading covid? Remember many of these protests and riots were during the beginning of the Pandemic. https://www.pressherald.com/2020/06/02/ ... el=related and https://www.cato.org/publications/resea ... g-covid-19. If a Trump rally produces a "super spreader" event then surely other events that have hundreds and thousands of people participating would do the same correct?

3. Do you blame BLM and Antifa for the gentleman shot in Portland a few months ago because he had a MAGA hat on?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:57 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:11 pm
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Violence/murder:

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. I'm all for laying blame where it is deserved.

1. Do you blame (partly or fully) NY Governor Cuomo for nursing home deaths with putting covid + patients inside those nursing homes?

2. Do you blame the riots and demonstrations for spreading covid? Remember many of these protests and riots were during the beginning of the Pandemic. https://www.pressherald.com/2020/06/02/ ... el=related and https://www.cato.org/publications/resea ... g-covid-19. If a Trump rally produces a "super spreader" event then surely other events that have hundreds and thousands of people participating would do the same correct?

3. Do you blame BLM and Antifa for the gentleman shot in Portland a few months ago because he had a MAGA hat on?
Thanks for the opportunity to respond to these questions and for being civil:

1. Yes, leaders always have to take responsibility. Cuomo didn't say the virus was going to go away magically when he knew it wasn't, or anything like Trump did. He took it seriously and did what he and his advisors thought was best. They made what turned out to be some big mistakes.

2. Yes, they may have, but I haven't seen a study by a reputable organization like Stanford stating that. The BLM protests weren't organized by a leader of the Democrat party, whereas Trump's events were put on by Trump and his staff knowing full well what could happen and after being advised by some of the top scientists in the world not to, but the need for an ego boost and what was best for Donald took center stage.

3. Yes, BLM and/or Antifa played a big role in that. Again, however, neither of those organizations is in charge of the most powerful country in the world. Personally, I would expect better of the POTUS.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:57 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:11 pm
iaafan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Violence/murder:

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to these questions and for being civil:

1. Yes, leaders always have to take responsibility. Cuomo didn't say the virus was going to go away magically when he knew it wasn't, or anything like Trump did. He took it seriously and did what he and his advisors thought was best. They made what turned out to be some big mistakes.

2. Yes, they may have, but I haven't seen a study by a reputable organization like Stanford stating that. The BLM protests weren't organized by a leader of the Democrat party, whereas Trump's events were put on by Trump and his staff knowing full well what could happen and after being advised by some of the top scientists in the world not to, but the need for an ego boost and what was best for Donald took center stage.

3. Yes, BLM and/or Antifa played a big role in that. Again, however, neither of those organizations is in charge of the most powerful country in the world. Personally, I would expect better of the POTUS.
Somehow you will call me a Dick for just asking this question, but why do you have to bring Trump into the answers above? Why is Cuomo’s response somehow predicated on what Trump did? None of BBB questions had anything to do with Trump, but for some reason, you have always bring Trump into it. Heck, you actually claim Trump has inspired “mass murderers” above...

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Cuomo says this week that he will take action to stop distribution of the vaccine because he believes the plan is flawed. Notice he does not indicate why he believes it is flawed, but he holds press conferences and interviews to makes sure knows it is flawed.

Trump reacts and says we will move forward with distribution and New York just won’t participate. Childish, but he let Cuomo know you don’t have to participate.

So liberal NY political hack attorney general Letitia James is threatening to sue Trump to be included in distribution.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... nistration

So who is more screwed up in this situation? They all have culpability, but Cuomo could have completely avoided this whole fiasco.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:53 am

I saw on tv that he thinks it’s flawed because it isn’t being distributed properly. Thinks minority and low income area/groups could be shortchanged. Not sure I agree or not. Will need to hear more.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:39 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:53 am
I saw on tv that he thinks it’s flawed because it isn’t being distributed properly. Thinks minority and low income area/groups could be shortchanged. Not sure I agree or not. Will need to hear more.
That is possible, but his actions seem to counter his public explanations. If he had concerns with distribution, couldn’t he have talked to the Trump admin privately to work on his concerns? Instead he has a press conference. And I understand that he has chosen to not participate in the Trump admin meetings regarding the distribution of the vaccine.

I also came across this article this morning where Cuomo suggested that he needs his own advisory to review the vaccine itself.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/vaccin ... r-new-york
"This is not what we want to see and Gov. Cuomo did bring this upon himself by suggesting that he would formulate his own advisory panel if the FDA approved or provided emergency use authorization to any vaccine product," Ahmed said.

As Pfizer and other companies are in final stages of getting coronavirus vaccines approved, Cuomo skipped White House briefings on distribution of the vaccines, the New York Post reports.

"I want this to be quickly rectified," Ahmed said of Cuomo's reluctance to use vaccines approved under Trump.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:39 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:53 am
That is possible, but his actions seem to counter his public explanations. If he had concerns with distribution, couldn’t he have talked to the Trump admin privately to work on his concerns? Instead he has a press conference. And I understand that he has chosen to not participate in the Trump admin meetings regarding the distribution of the vaccine.

I also came across this article this morning where Cuomo suggested that he needs his own advisory to review the vaccine itself.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/vaccin ... r-new-york
"This is not what we want to see and Gov. Cuomo did bring this upon himself by suggesting that he would formulate his own advisory panel if the FDA approved or provided emergency use authorization to any vaccine product," Ahmed said.

As Pfizer and other companies are in final stages of getting coronavirus vaccines approved, Cuomo skipped White House briefings on distribution of the vaccines, the New York Post reports.

"I want this to be quickly rectified," Ahmed said of Cuomo's reluctance to use vaccines approved under Trump.
Cuomo was part of a governor’s bipartisan effort to work with the Trump administration back in October. I believe he and a republican governor chaired the group seeking assistance on how to manage Trump’s planned rollout. All the states had concerns. Not sure what came of that.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... stribution

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 am

Moderna now out with a 94.5% vaccine. :D

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:46 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 am
Moderna now out with a 94.5% vaccine. :D
As expected. They went with a 100 mg dosage where as Pfizer vaccine, I believe, is 30 mg.

Moderna vaccine will also be easier to transport and store, as it doesn’t require -90 degree storage.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:54 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:14 am
11/5/2020
New Cases: 1013
New Tests: 2736
Today's positivity rate: 37%
13,261 Active cases
414 Active Hospitalizations (+7 from yesterday )
Deaths: 407 (+3)

**Remember to practice physical distancing, wear your mask, wash your hands, don't touch your face.**
11/15/2020
New Cases: 1272
New Tests: 2867
Today's positivity rate: 44%
Active cases: 19,166
Active Hospitalizations: 435
Deaths: 520

**Remember to practice physical distancing, wear your mask, wash your hands, don't touch your face.**

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Today is going to be the deadliest weekend day in the United States since June 1. On that date there were 700 deaths. Today we're currently at 609. Texas, and a few other states, haven't submitted a toll yet.

Edit: Texas is in and now at 681.
Edit: Ended up at 739. Most since May 26.

Thank God that vaccine is here soon. It's going to be be tough sledding though until it gets mass produced, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

toM StUber

The Butcher
Member # Retired

Post by The Butcher » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:52 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Today is going to be the deadliest weekend day in the United States since June 1. On that date there were 700 deaths. Today we're currently at 609. Texas, and a few other states, haven't submitted a toll yet.

Thank God that vaccine is here soon. It's going to be be tough sledding though until it gets mass produced, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.
They are predicting 6 month for the general population having access to the vaccine. It is going to be a long winter.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:52 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm

They are predicting 6 month for the general population having access to the vaccine. It is going to be a long winter.
True, but I have a feeling once all the susceptible people are vaccinated, then the hospital rush and deaths will drop off dramatically. It'll still be around, but not with same punch that it's delivering right now. That's my feeling.

toM StUber