Cure worse than the problem?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by The Butcher » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm
RickRund wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:49 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:21 pm
Onion headline nails the Trump perfectly :lol: :

Trump To Nation: ‘Don’t Let Your Lives Be Dominated By Fear Unless It’s Related To Immigrants’
From a satire site, OK...
The Onion is satire! What!!! 😂🤣😂
Rick you better help Trump out like you did for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ze-twitter



Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3221
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:04 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 am
POTUS spreading more misinformation about COVID... Does anyone believe Trump about anything related to COVID anymore?

Fact check: Trump falsely claims that 85% of people who wear masks get coronavirus
From CNN's Daniel Dale

President Trump made a dramatic claim about Covid-19 during Thursday night’s town hall.

“Just the other day, they came out with a statement that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it,” Trump said.

It was a repeat of a similar claim he had made two times earlier in the day, citing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as the source for that number.

Facts First: Trump’s claim is false. A CDC study released in September, did not say that 85% of people who wear masks get infected with coronavirus. In fact, it did not even attempt to figure out what percentage of people who wear a mask get infected with the coronavirus.

Rather, the study looked at the behavior of 154 symptomatic people who had tested positive for the coronavirus in July around the country and 160 people who reported symptoms but tested negative in July.

The study found that, of those 154 people, 85% said they had worn a mask either “always” or “often” over the 14 days prior to the onset of their illness. That’s where the 85% figure comes from.

Of the 160 people in the study who had tested negative, however, 88.7% said they had worn a mask either “always” or “often.” So there’s really no difference between people who wore masks and those who didn’t.

And that’s not even the point here.

Trump was suggesting that the CDC found that 85% of all people who wear masks get coronavirus. But the CDC was just looking at the behavior of these 314 symptomatic people who sought out testing at 11 particular sites around the country in July.

Here’s how one of the co-authors, Christopher Lindsell, co-director of the Health Data Science Center at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, described the study’s data on masks:

“The data suggest that among a group of patients who are already showing symptoms that prompted them to get testing for the virus, there was no statistical evidence of a difference in mask wearing behavior between those who tested positive and those who tested negative,” Lindsell said in an email. “This is very different from the question of whether wearing masks prevents you becoming infected with the virus, and it is also different to the question of how many or what percentage of people who wear masks contract the virus. The study was not designed to answer these questions.”
So Trump mistakenly said “85% of mask wearers get Covid” versus the actual “85% of Covid patients have worn masks”. I can provide numerous examples of Biden screwing up numbers/data such as “200 million have died from Covid in the US” yet you are quick to give him a pass. Maybe this post should go in the Hypocritical thread.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5718
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Before I tell someone else to stop eating sugar I need to stop eating sugar.

https://preilly.wordpress.com/2008/07/19/gandhi-story/



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4801
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/money/millions-of ... 51460.html

Just another “small sacrifice” people are making.

Though this is likely just a red herring or straw man...

:lol:



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am

I guess Trump's new strategy to combatting this pandemic is attacking Fauci?
Trump's response to COVID has been a disaster and has caused unnecessary loss of life and economic devastation. Trump has failed America.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/20/politics ... index.html



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5718
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/money/millions-of ... 51460.html

Just another “small sacrifice” people are making.

Though this is likely just a red herring or straw man...

:lol:
Good post, except for the part where you're trying to start a fight.

Yes, there is no stimulus package going forward and not enough people adhering to the Covid rules at this time and until those things happen many Americans will suffer the economic and physical consequences. Some more than others. The worst is yet to come.
Last edited by iaafan on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5718
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:06 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am
I guess Trump's new strategy to combatting this pandemic is attacking Fauci?
Trump's response to COVID has been a disaster and has caused unnecessary loss of life and economic devastation. Trump has failed America.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/20/politics ... index.html
Trump hasn't done what he's needed to do. 1) fight the pandemic based on science; 2) work with Congress to stimulate the economy.

The link from iltc illustrates this perfectly.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10312
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:10 am

I haven't looked at Montana's COVID numbers in a while, so I thought I'd check in today.

10/20/2020
New Cases: 706
New Tests: 2655
Today's positivity rate: 27% (ooof!)
8,999 Active cases
360 Active Hospitalizations

Total Cases: 24,093
Deaths: 252
Death Rate: 1%

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma ... 2103421d4b



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5718
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:41 am

CNN- Fourteen states reported their peak Covid-19 hospitalizations in the last week: Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Montana, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

As cold weather is likely to drive more gatherings indoors, the case level appears too high to avoid dangerous levels of infections and hospitalizations in the coming weeks, experts have said.

"(With) the fact that we're only going to see more transmission occur with indoor air, people inside, this is going to be a rough fall," Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told CNN on Tuesday.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4692
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Is this cnn being held up for a reasonable opinion the same cnn that employs jeffery toobin, also once employed by the new yorker???



User avatar
The Butcher
Member # Retired
Posts: 2239
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm
Is this cnn being held up for a reasonable opinion the same cnn that employs jeffery toobin, also once employed by the new yorker???
I am confused, are you saying that the COVID numbers are not real because CNN is reporting them?



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4692
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:13 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm
Is this cnn being held up for a reasonable opinion the same cnn that employs jeffery toobin, also once employed by the new yorker???
I am confused, are you saying that the COVID numbers are not real because CNN is reporting them?
I really don't put much credence in much of what cnn reports. I think they are a mixed bag. And it would also depend which (ahem, cough, cough) journo is reporting the story.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10198
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA
Contact:

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:18 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:15 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:45 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:50 pm
Nancy Pelosi on left leaning CNN with Wolf Blitzer regarding Covid relief package. This has to hurt Democrats. It really is hard to understand how she became a leader of the Democratic Party. They should test her mental acuity.

Are you implying that the $1200 each person got 6 months ago after being forced to stop working and going to school wasn't enough to keep their lives from getting destroyed? That sounds like a huge leap to me. :coffee:
I am not sure what you are talking about. I was talking about the strange behavior by Pelosi in her interview with Blitzer.
I was talking about what a joke the "covid relief package" is. As was the first "relief package" 6 months ago. I was joking.... 8)
Got it👏👏👏. It is a crazy time. I was helping my daughter move into an apartment in August and we went to buy some furniture. It was amazing as many stores were completely out of inventory. It was partly because Covid caused manufacturing delays, but the overriding thought was that people were spending their Covid checks on new stuff - like couches, TV’s, etc.
A big part of the furniture shortage is that the material they use to line the bottom of a couch is also used to produce masks. I don't know the specifics but that's what I heard from someone in the manufacturing/purchasing world.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3221
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:18 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:15 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:45 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:50 pm
Nancy Pelosi on left leaning CNN with Wolf Blitzer regarding Covid relief package. This has to hurt Democrats. It really is hard to understand how she became a leader of the Democratic Party. They should test her mental acuity.

Are you implying that the $1200 each person got 6 months ago after being forced to stop working and going to school wasn't enough to keep their lives from getting destroyed? That sounds like a huge leap to me. :coffee:
I am not sure what you are talking about. I was talking about the strange behavior by Pelosi in her interview with Blitzer.
I was talking about what a joke the "covid relief package" is. As was the first "relief package" 6 months ago. I was joking.... 8)
Got it👏👏👏. It is a crazy time. I was helping my daughter move into an apartment in August and we went to buy some furniture. It was amazing as many stores were completely out of inventory. It was partly because Covid caused manufacturing delays, but the overriding thought was that people were spending their Covid checks on new stuff - like couches, TV’s, etc.
A big part of the furniture shortage is that the material they use to line the bottom of a couch is also used to produce masks. I don't know the specifics but that's what I heard from someone in the manufacturing/purchasing world.
The salesman said it was a confluence of events. Sales are up due to the stimulus checks. Inventory ran out because manufacturers were shut down due to Covid. The whole supply chain was affected also if anything was coming from Asia.



arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:04 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:41 am
CNN- Fourteen states reported their peak Covid-19 hospitalizations in the last week: Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Montana, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

As cold weather is likely to drive more gatherings indoors, the case level appears too high to avoid dangerous levels of infections and hospitalizations in the coming weeks, experts have said.

"(With) the fact that we're only going to see more transmission occur with indoor air, people inside, this is going to be a rough fall," Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told CNN on Tuesday.
Be safe and go to a Biden event...
https://babylonbee.com/news/health-expe ... l-distance



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4692
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:05 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:08 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:29 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:18 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:15 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:45 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:50 pm
Nancy Pelosi on left leaning CNN with Wolf Blitzer regarding Covid relief package. This has to hurt Democrats. It really is hard to understand how she became a leader of the Democratic Party. They should test her mental acuity.

Are you implying that the $1200 each person got 6 months ago after being forced to stop working and going to school wasn't enough to keep their lives from getting destroyed? That sounds like a huge leap to me. :coffee:
I am not sure what you are talking about. I was talking about the strange behavior by Pelosi in her interview with Blitzer.
I was talking about what a joke the "covid relief package" is. As was the first "relief package" 6 months ago. I was joking.... 8)
Got it👏👏👏. It is a crazy time. I was helping my daughter move into an apartment in August and we went to buy some furniture. It was amazing as many stores were completely out of inventory. It was partly because Covid caused manufacturing delays, but the overriding thought was that people were spending their Covid checks on new stuff - like couches, TV’s, etc.
A big part of the furniture shortage is that the material they use to line the bottom of a couch is also used to produce masks. I don't know the specifics but that's what I heard from someone in the manufacturing/purchasing world.
The salesman said it was a confluence of events. Sales are up due to the stimulus checks. Inventory ran out because manufacturers were shut down due to Covid. The whole supply chain was affected also if anything was coming from Asia.
We are upgrading our appliances now and there have been slight delays due to manufacturing.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10312
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by wbtfg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:10 am
I haven't looked at Montana's COVID numbers in a while, so I thought I'd check in today.

10/20/2020
New Cases: 706
New Tests: 2655
Today's positivity rate: 27%
8,999 Active cases
360 Active Hospitalizations

Total Cases: 24,093
Deaths: 252
Death Rate: 1%

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma ... 2103421d4b
10/21/2020
New Cases: 624
New Tests: 2973
Today's positivity rate: 21% (ooof!)
9,352 Active cases
345 Active Hospitalizations (decrease of 15 from yesterday)

Total Cases: 24,093
Deaths: 275 (Increase of 23 from yesterday)
Death Rate: 1%

**Remember to practice physical distancing, wear your mask, wash your hands, don't touch your face.**



Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:56 am

http://dangoodspeed.com/covid/
I came across that web site and found it interesting and informative. It's a great set of interactive charts that gives a clear comparison between states, showing the virus cases and deaths over time.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4801
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:07 am

Positivity rate drops 6% in just one day! \:D/

8)



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5718
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 am



Death count in the USA is probably closer to 300,000, than 225,000.



Post Reply