Cure worse than the problem?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:10 am
RickRund wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 am
So the next time the strain "X" of the flu strikes, which it does yearly with new and improved model, do we do a lockdown? Maybe have a planned two month shutdown of all activity on the calender every year? Kind of an exaggeration, but have we learned, been programmed, to fear everything that is possible to occur?
Yep the door is open now. It’s clear what fear does and the control it gives. People didn’t blink being forced to stay home and stop working. What would stop this from happening again? And again?

It’s been crazy but fascinating to me how willing people were to give up all rights with the belief they were the sole reason for saving lives. After all, we were told millions of Americans would die! It’s the only possible explanation as to why a fraction of a sliver of those predictions came true. No other possible explanation! :lol:
:lol:

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 am

ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:
So the next time the strain "X" of the flu strikes, which it does yearly with new and improved model, do we do a lockdown? Maybe have a planned two month shutdown of all activity on the calender every year? Kind of an exaggeration, but have we learned, been programmed, to fear everything that is possible to occur?
Yep the door is open now. It’s clear what fear does and the control it gives. People didn’t blink being forced to stay home and stop working. What would stop this from happening again? And again?

It’s been crazy but fascinating to me how willing people were to give up all rights with the belief they were the sole reason for saving lives. After all, we were told millions of Americans would die! It’s the only possible explanation as to why a fraction of a sliver of those predictions came true. No other possible explanation! :lol:
I agree, it is scary this precedent has been set. I understand the approach the world took with this, being a new virus and all, trying to be prudent and cautious. I totally get that mind set, but it was a huge risk. It would have been a huge risk to do nothing, and it was a huge risk taking the approach we took. For the former, the Covid deaths would certainly have been latter. For the latter, the risk is that the actions taken will spur a global economic meltdown that could potentially impact pretty much every person on the planet.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 am

catatac wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I agree, it is scary this precedent has been set. I understand the approach the world took with this, being a new virus and all, trying to be prudent and cautious. I totally get that mind set, but it was a huge risk. It would have been a huge risk to do nothing, and it was a huge risk taking the approach we took. For the former, the Covid deaths would certainly have been latter. For the latter, the risk is that the actions taken will spur a global economic meltdown that could potentially impact pretty much every person on the planet.
Potentially? I think it has already economically impacted pretty much everyone.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun May 17, 2020 5:28 pm

And now another recalculation of death numbers.... This time San Diego...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/san-diego ... 027020days

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 pm

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 am

I can't find a more recent chart, but this obviously shows that this is NOT just the regular flu...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 am
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I agree, it is scary this precedent has been set. I understand the approach the world took with this, being a new virus and all, trying to be prudent and cautious. I totally get that mind set, but it was a huge risk. It would have been a huge risk to do nothing, and it was a huge risk taking the approach we took. For the former, the Covid deaths would certainly have been higher. For the latter, the risk is that the actions taken will spur a global economic meltdown that could potentially impact pretty much every person on the planet.
Oh, sorry Tom totally agree with that and I should have been more clear. I was meaning, more serious global impact, and not just economically. For example, I caught a news article this morning with an estimate of 130,000,000 additional starving people world wide due to the Covid response.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon May 18, 2020 10:54 am

catatac wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I agree, it is scary this precedent has been set. I understand the approach the world took with this, being a new virus and all, trying to be prudent and cautious. I totally get that mind set, but it was a huge risk. It would have been a huge risk to do nothing, and it was a huge risk taking the approach we took. For the former, the Covid deaths would certainly have been higher. For the latter, the risk is that the actions taken will spur a global economic meltdown that could potentially impact pretty much every person on the planet.
Oh, sorry Tom totally agree with that and I should have been more clear. I was meaning, more serious global impact, and not just economically. For example, I caught a news article this morning with an estimate of 130,000,000 additional starving people world wide due to the Covid response.
Yep, and that will be just the tip of the iceberg. Every day that goes on it seems more and more clear the "cure" has been far worse than the problem. Focus on the hotspots and help the vulnerable. Shutting down the entire country was asinine in my opinion. And the results will be severe. But hey, we did our part to "save" lives! \:D/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yes, I assume that article was based on a UN report from late April. It stated that the number of people on the brink of starving could add 130 million to the already 135 million that are expected to be on the brink of starving due to all the other things (locusts, drought, etc.) going on.

toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Yes, I assume that article was based on a UN report from late April. It stated that the number of people on the brink of starving could add 130 million to the already 135 million that are expected to be on the brink of starving due to all the other things (locusts, drought, etc.) going on.
Wow. If those numbers are anywhere near accurate, then we definitely overreacted. Rate of death certainly increases for people who are forced into poverty/starvation. But all anybody seems to look at is the Covid death count. Its such a broader picture than that.

24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Wow. If those numbers are anywhere near accurate, then we definitely overreacted. Rate of death certainly increases for people who are forced into poverty/starvation. But all anybody seems to look at is the Covid death count. Its such a broader picture than that.
They're accurate. There's a dollar amount to stop starvation. $1.9 billion to get the stockpile of food to where it needs to be in the event this happens and another $350 million to distribute it. I would anticipate they'll be able to raise that money.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:54 pm
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

They're accurate. There's a dollar amount to stop starvation. $1.9 billion to get the stockpile of food to where it needs to be in the event this happens and another $350 million to distribute it. I would anticipate they'll be able to raise that money.
Models are good tools for planning, but the users still need to take the appropriates steps to get them to pay off.

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 18, 2020 5:14 pm

iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Thanks 1AA, interesting data. I REALLY hope if there is anything positive whatsoever that comes out of this, it's that the world learns something about how to develop a game plan for next time. I have very little confidence in this but it's nice to dream. IMO what should happen after all this is to look back and come up with an ACCURATE count of how many people worldwide actually died from contracting COVID. Then it sounds morbid but you really do have to look at the demographics of people dying (probably need to use that # of stolen days model talked about earlier), and compare that to how many healthy people are projected to die based on the reactions, shutdowns, etc. This should dictate policy moving forward for what governments are allowed to do.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:14 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Thanks 1AA, interesting data. I REALLY hope if there is anything positive whatsoever that comes out of this, it's that the world learns something about how to develop a game plan for next time. I have very little confidence in this but it's nice to dream. IMO what should happen after all this is to look back and come up with an ACCURATE count of how many people worldwide actually died from contracting COVID. Then it sounds morbid but you really do have to look at the demographics of people dying (probably need to use that # of stolen days model talked about earlier), and compare that to how many healthy people are projected to die based on the reactions, shutdowns, etc. This should dictate policy moving forward for what governments are allowed to do.
Yes, good game plans have proven to be the most effective strategy. Be prepared, act quickly. Places like S. Korea, Japan, Germany, India and, dare I say, Ghina (that's how Trump says it :lol: ) were all prepared for an event like this and have done/are doing well combating the virus.

toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 19, 2020 7:35 am

Yeah, we should ask Ghina what to do? Not really.

I see Russher now has the second most cases. Relatively few deaths though. The case:death ratio is about 16:1 in the US and 100:1 in Russher. I wonder how many people think Russher is counting their deaths correctly. I bet Trump weighs in on this soon.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:35 am

I see Russher now has the second most cases. Relatively few deaths though. The case:death ratio is about 16:1 in the US and 100:1 in Russher. I wonder how many people think Russher is counting their deaths correctly. I bet Trump weighs in on this soon.
And I haven't looked at the numbers lately but is there any consensus on results between countries that handled things differently? I know Sweden for one was an example of a country that it sound like, did nothing. Other than common sense stuff, recommending keeping distance, etc. Did they end up worse than some of the other countries that put tight restrictions in place?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am

catatac wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am
iaafan wrote:

And I haven't looked at the numbers lately but is there any consensus on results between countries that handled things differently? I know Sweden for one was an example of a country that it sound like, did nothing. Other than common sense stuff, recommending keeping distance, etc. Did they end up worse than some of the other countries that put tight restrictions in place?
Sweden: 30,337 cases, 3,698 deaths.
Norway: 8,257 cases, 233 deaths.
Denmark: 10,968 cases, 548 deaths.
Finland: 6,380 cases, 300 deaths.

Could be a variety of reasons why Sweden is higher besides being open. I don't know and I don't think anyone has a solid explanation. Probably won't know the reasons for the varieties for years. Texas and California have similar curves, but Texas opened up a while ago and California is just starting to open up. Really hard to say. Lots of variables.

technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by technoCat » Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am
catatac wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Could be a variety of reasons why Sweden is higher besides being open. I don't know and I don't think anyone has a solid explanation. Probably won't know the reasons for the varieties for years. Texas and California have similar curves, but Texas opened up a while ago and California is just starting to open up. Really hard to say. Lots of variables.
Norway, Denmark and Finland may deal with a second wave that is more severe as well. Won't know that until this fall.

Spain: 278,188 and 27778
UK: 246,567 and 34796
Germany: 177289 and 8123
Italy: 226,406 and 32169
France: 142903 and 28239

So maybe Sweden(and possibly all Scandanavian countries) are just benefiting from distance and distribution(much like Montana).

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 19, 2020 11:32 am

technoCat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am
catatac wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Norway, Denmark and Finland may deal with a second wave that is more severe as well. Won't know that until this fall.

Spain: 278,188 and 27778
UK: 246,567 and 34796
Germany: 177289 and 8123
Italy: 226,406 and 32169
France: 142903 and 28239

So maybe Sweden(and possibly all Scandanavian countries) are just benefiting from distance and distribution(much like Montana).
Yes, it's really anybody's guess. I do know there's a little over two months until 2020 football season practices start and I hope they find a safe way to play. If they do that, it'll be a good sign that things are going well, er better, around the country and globe.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am

Very interesting data of the age demographics of those killed by the virus nationally, and specifically in the worst hit states.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1262 ... 47872.html