Beware: coronavirus scams

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Beware: coronavirus scams

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:28 am

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/c ... -ftc-doing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/ ... -pandemic/

The usual cast of characters (Alex Jones, Jim Bakker, etc) and some new ones are preying on the public again.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Beware: coronavirus scams

Post by RickRund » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:08 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:28 am

The usual cast of characters (Alex Jones, Jim Bakker, etc) and some new ones are preying on the public again.
Thank you for the share.
Saw on the Forbes piece about SUPER SCAMMER kenneth copeland. He and his health and wealth doctrine scammers are a stain on society. Rest assured he and his ilk will not like their future. Ifeel for those that have bought into what they are selling.
And those that are profiting from this crisis deserve to be held HIGHLY accountable...

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:08 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Thank you for the share.
Saw on the Forbes piece about SUPER SCAMMER kenneth copeland. He and his health and wealth doctrine scammers are a stain on society. Rest assured he and his ilk will not like their future. Ifeel for those that have bought into what they are selling.
And those that are profiting from this crisis deserve to be held HIGHLY accountable...
Also great to see we had lawmakers with inside info unloading millions of dollars in stock before the market tanked. They should go the way of Martha Stewart.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:50 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Thank you for the share.
Also great to see we had lawmakers with inside info unloading millions of dollars in stock before the market tanked. They should go the way of Martha Stewart.
:rant:
I was actually wondering about that.

Here ya go:
https://www.propublica.org/article/sena ... eparedness

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm

One of whom’s husband is the chairman of the NYSE??

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:50 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm
One of whom’s husband is the chairman of the NYSE??
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly ... s-briefing

toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am

They need to have a very good explanation, or they should resign. I have no idea how to get rid of the corruption in congress, although term limits might help. We don't know how slimy most of them are, the whole Biden thing makes me think the long term guys all get the relatives cushy jobs and sweet deals.
Last edited by allcat on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 am

RickRund wrote:
[quote=TomCat88 post_id=702819 time=<a href="tel:1584617329">1584617329</a> user_id=12959]

Thank you for the share.
[/quote]
Exactly. It’s bad enough they’re crooks, but anyone, including politicians, taking advantage of this crisis should be fined at least and jailed in some cases.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 am

allcat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am
They need to have a very good explanation,
You mean a very good lie? Dying to hear what might be considered a good “explanation.”

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am

Sen Feinstein for one, said she did not do it. It was her husband that did the transaction. Plausible deniability?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:45 am

RickRund wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am
Sen Feinstein for one, said she did not do it. It was her husband that did the transaction. Plausible deniability?
Hopefully one day where we'll get to a place where we can just condemn illegal/unethical behavior without highlighting those from "the other" party.

I say any lawmaker who dumped stock while giving a different message to the American public should face consequences that match the behavior. I don't care if it's democrat/republican/independent.....etc. This is the swamp like behavior Americans are sick of.

Agree?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:45 am
RickRund wrote:
Hopefully one day where we'll get to a place where we can just condemn illegal/unethical behavior without highlighting those from "the other" party.

I say any lawmaker who dumped stock while giving a different message to the American public should face consequences that match the behavior. I don't care if it's democrat/republican/independent.....etc. This is the swamp like behavior Americans are sick of.

Agree?
Here’s a conservative that agrees:
“I don’t care if you’re Republican or Democrat,” tweeted Charlie Kirk, a prominent conservative activist and chair of Students for Trump. “If you trade with inside info to enrich yourself during a crisis you are a disgrace. Resign, apologize, and donate all earnings to families of victims of China Virus.”

Tucker Carlson said the same, basically last night.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:51 am

RickRund wrote:
Pretty lame. She knows she has investments and she could easily communicate inside info to her husband.

toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:51 am
RickRund wrote:
Pretty lame. She knows she has investments and she could easily communicate inside info to her husband.
Hopefully no one thought I was just going after Feinstein. Just her reasoning and how many may say OK... She has said all her holdings are in a blind trust. That was why he husband made the transaction. Not really sure just how blind these are?

Would full disclosure be a defense? If I sold said holdings and immediately disclosed this. Would that be a proper defense? Then TomCat88 could unload his holdings.

ANY and all that break the law should be made an example.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:30 pm

I hate the hypocrisy where they are for or against depending on who is in power. These people are the worst of it. Let's truely drain the swamp of these leaches. That being said, their local electors have to do it. Hell they killed Epstein and no buddy will pay for that.

Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 pm

allcat wrote:
They need to have a very good explanation, or they should resign. I have no idea how to get rid of the corruption in congress, although term limits might help. We don't know how slimy most of them are, the whole Biden thing makes me think the long term guys all get the relatives cushy jobs and sweet deals.
IMO, we are desperately in need of term limits in Congress. We've got way too many Congressmen and Senators on both sides of the aisle who've been in their safe seats so long that they've totally lost touch with the people they were elected by.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

HelenaCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:08 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 pm
allcat wrote:
IMO, we are desperately in need of term limits in Congress. We've got way too many Congressmen and Senators on both sides of the aisle who've been in their safe seats so long that they've totally lost touch with the people they were elected by.
Agree! Plus once in, all they care about is being re-elected and staying in. So they won’t necessarily do what is right or needed, just what wii get more votes.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:17 am

wbtfg wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Agree?
Agree, utilizing information that isn't public for your private gain is unacceptable.

The only problem is proving they had different information than the public did (ie. this Covid that is in china is really bad, maybe it spreads to the rest of the world).

My gut feeling is they had some knowledge or foresight many of us didn't, and this is despicable.

I am definitely a fan of term limits, not necessarily super short ones but I don't think you should be able to serve in congress as a job your entire life. Maybe 2-3 terms in both? That's about 20ish years total.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:17 am
wbtfg wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Agree?
Agree, utilizing information that isn't public for your private gain is unacceptable.

The only problem is proving they had different information than the public did (ie. this Covid that is in china is really bad, maybe it spreads to the rest of the world).

My gut feeling is they had some knowledge or foresight many of us didn't, and this is despicable.

I am definitely a fan of term limits, not necessarily super short ones but I don't think you should be able to serve in congress as a job your entire life. Maybe 2-3 terms in both? That's about 20ish years total.
There are far too many that have served over 40 years, probably more than 4 dozen. You had dingell, byrd, thurmond, inouye (sp), the most recent ones all serving well over 50 years I believe. No way that should happen. But as they say, my congressman is ok so just vote out the others.