Not that you needed any more proof......

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Dominating BN since 1997............

Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 pm

that most of these people are gigantic POS and their whining about helping the less fortunate is all part of their PR campaign.

Funny that they are all liberals. Musta missed Grammer, Selleck and Sinese on that list.


http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,464 ... html#10_55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by CapitalCityCat » Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Boy, you're sure stooping low for a newsworthy story, aren't you? :roll:

What's it matter to you what celebrities tip? And, what does it say of the serving staff who felt it necessary to tell the world what a certain celebrity tips? Heck, the server probably made more from selling this little tidbit of info to the National Enquirer than they'd normally make in one night. I didn't go any further than to read the caption with Madonna's picture. It says that her and Guy Ritchie ONCE tipped $18 on a $400 bill. Maybe that particular server only deserved a 5% tip? I'm sure there are plenty of servers who have received much more generous tips, but don't feel the need to release the amounts they received.

I normally tip at 20% and go down from there depending on service, but there have been times when I've left nothing except a note because the service sucked so bad. Why should it be any different for a celebrity? Have you never received poor service?

This surely should be nominated for most worthless topic on BobcatNation in 2009. :wink:


Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

User avatar
AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Dominating BN since 1997............

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Not at all, any person with a modicum of intellect would see the point.

Maybe you should ask Hussein Obama for help comprehending this or get someone to explain it to you.







I will never go lower than 15% when I am tipping for any amount of poor service. It can only go up with any effort on their part.


A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23951
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 pm

In keeping with the "cheesy celebrity" nature of this thread, let me post as Chandler Bing:

Alpha ... sharks ... jumped. Could this BE any stranger?



GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7992
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:30 pm

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by GrizinWashington » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Could this BE any stranger?
I'm tempted to say no.

But then, it IS Alpha.....


We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by CapitalCityCat » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:Not at all, any person with a modicum of intellect would see the point.

Maybe you should ask Hussein Obama for help comprehending this or get someone to explain it to you.
I know I have at least a modicum of intelligence, I've never claimed to have much more. But if you can explain to me what an $18 tip on a $400 bill has to do with a celebrity's PR campaign and can do it within "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" (another cheesy celebrity reference) :) , then I'll buy you a beer (and I'll even tip the server).


Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3277
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by Grizlaw » Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 pm

CapitalCityCat wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:Not at all, any person with a modicum of intellect would see the point.

Maybe you should ask Hussein Obama for help comprehending this or get someone to explain it to you.
I know I have at least a modicum of intelligence, I've never claimed to have much more. But if you can explain to me what an $18 tip on a $400 bill has to do with a celebrity's PR campaign and can do it within "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" (another cheesy celebrity reference) :) , then I'll buy you a beer (and I'll even tip the server).
...and if you can do all of that and provide a logical explanation of how the liberal leanings of most/all of the people in question is relevant to anything (and explain it in a way that demonstrates at least a modicum of intelligence), then I'll buy you two more beers. :)


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

User avatar
AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Dominating BN since 1997............

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm

CapitalCityCat wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:Not at all, any person with a modicum of intellect would see the point.

Maybe you should ask Hussein Obama for help comprehending this or get someone to explain it to you.
I know I have at least a modicum of intelligence, I've never claimed to have much more. But if you can explain to me what an $18 tip on a $400 bill has to do with a celebrity's PR campaign and can do it within "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" (another cheesy celebrity reference) :) , then I'll buy you a beer (and I'll even tip the server).

Part of their PR campaign is to shove their face on TV every time they can and tell/show all of us how hateful and cruel we are to the poor and we dont do enough to help them, like they do. Then they stiff poor people that wait on them.

I still dont think you will get this but at least I can say I tried.


A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by CapitalCityCat » Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 pm

No, I understand what you're trying to say, but to correlate one or two poor tipping experiences to a celebrities PR campaign to help the poor is the ultimate stretch. A little further study on this subject reveals that these celebrities were mentioned in a "autobiographical" (read embellished) novel of a former waitress turned author. Several references that I found online indicate that this waitress/author? claims to have received a poor tip from said celebrities. Now, since I know you have a modicum of intellect, do you think this author is going to sell more books by blabbing about her few bad experiences (and she probably deserved the tip she got) OR would she sell more books by claiming that Madonna, Toby McGuire, and Gwyneth Paltrow tipped 15%-20% everytime? Pretty boring stuff, eh?

By the way, you may want to look up your information regarding Selleck. He's always seemed like a moderate to conservative leaning guy to me.

To sum it up... I think you failed to correlate an celebrity's isolated tipping habits to that of their bleeding heart PR campaigns. But next time you're in Helena, let me know in advance and I'll set you up with a nice cold PBR someplace nice like the Knife & Gun club or O'Tooles and you can pander to the locals about your celebrity dilemma. :wink:


Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

User avatar
AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Dominating BN since 1997............

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Selleck and Sinese are fairly conservative thats why I said you wouldn't see them on the list.

I doubt it was just one waitress, I bet the people named on that list do that all the time, they are arrogant and feel they are owed something because they can act in front of a camera. That takes about as much talent as posting on a web message board.

PBR huh?

At least you like good beer, but I wont be to Hell........ena for awhile but someone on here owes me a bottle of Absolute that will be at the BN tailgate party for the Griz/cat game. Your all welcome to partake........as long as it lasts.


A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2410
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by CapitalCityCat » Thu May 21, 2009 2:51 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:I doubt it was just one waitress, I bet the people named on that list do that all the time, they are arrogant and feel they are owed something because they can act in front of a camera. That takes about as much talent as posting on a web message board.
So, I guess we can be expecting to see your name in lights in the near future? :wink:


Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

User avatar
AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Dominating BN since 1997............

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:04 pm

CapitalCityCat wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:I doubt it was just one waitress, I bet the people named on that list do that all the time, they are arrogant and feel they are owed something because they can act in front of a camera. That takes about as much talent as posting on a web message board.
So, I guess we can be expecting to see your name in lights in the near future? :wink:

This will never happen, I go out of my way to not be famous. Its hard enough when I do get on stage to keep my act low profile and not become an overnight sensation.


A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

User avatar
Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4637
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Flatlands

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu May 28, 2009 8:53 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
I will never go lower than 15% when I am tipping for any amount of poor service. It can only go up with any effort on their part.
Off topic here but I start at 20% when I sit down. It's up to the waiter/waitress to keep it there. The lady at Famous Dave's a month or so ago got ZERO. :evil:

FWIW, I believe that was the 1st time a waiter/waitress has been "shut out" by me.



Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3277
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by Grizlaw » Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 am

Billings_Griz wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:
I will never go lower than 15% when I am tipping for any amount of poor service. It can only go up with any effort on their part.
Off topic here but I start at 20% when I sit down. It's up to the waiter/waitress to keep it there. The lady at Famous Dave's a month or so ago got ZERO. :evil:

FWIW, I believe that was the 1st time a waiter/waitress has been "shut out" by me.
I'm the exact same way (20% being my norm, and the service having to be pretty bad before I give less than that). I also "shut out" a waiter for the first time in my life a few months ago, at an Italian restaurant in NYC -- he spilled a bottle of wine all over me and the woman who was sitting next to me, and when the bill came, we found that they were still trying to charge us for the bottle of wine that ended up in my lap. When we asked him to remove the bottle of wine from the bill, he fought tooth and nail with us (in a very rude manner -- he made quite a scene, actually), and we had to speak with the manager to get the bottle removed from the bill. We were a party of about 10, and the bill was probably $500 or so, which we split among several peoples' credit cards. I don't know if anyone else tipped him at the end of the fiasco, but for my part of the bill (a few hundred $$), I wrote in a tip of $1.

Even under those circumstances, I think I may have over-reacted by giving him (practically) nothing, but after having to argue with him over something so ridiculous, I was pissed enough that the thought of giving him any money at all made my physically ill.


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

Sportin' Life
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:56 pm
Location: MSO

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by Sportin' Life » Thu May 28, 2009 11:27 am

That kind of reminds me of my last incident with wine spilling. I was taking my (now ex) girlfriend and her parents out to dinner at the Ale Works in Bozeman, and the waiter accidently spilled wine all over my girlfriend's mother. The waiter apologized profusely and comped her meal, and I think The Ale Works even had to pay some to get the outfit dry-cleaned. The poor kid got a huge tongue lashing from the mother who made a gigantic scene about the whole thing.

For the tip I left 20% plus what the meal would have cost. I think it ended up coming out to be about a 60% tip. Not bad for that kind of entertainment, I thought. The ex? Well its like they say, she started to become more and more like her mother all the time, and now I don't know where she is or what she does.


"GD it, PETAns piss me off!
Were never gonna end up with a stupid eagle or a faggy bobcat as a mascot!"
Cartman

User avatar
tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:37 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by tampa_griz » Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 am

Sportin' Life wrote:That kind of reminds me of my last incident with wine spilling. I was taking my (now ex) girlfriend and her parents out to dinner at the Ale Works in Bozeman, and the waiter accidently spilled wine all over my girlfriend's mother. The waiter apologized profusely and comped her meal, and I think The Ale Works even had to pay some to get the outfit dry-cleaned. The poor kid got a huge tongue lashing from the mother who made a gigantic scene about the whole thing.

For the tip I left 20% plus what the meal would have cost. I think it ended up coming out to be about a 60% tip. Not bad for that kind of entertainment, I thought. The ex? Well its like they say, she started to become more and more like her mother all the time, and now I don't know where she is or what she does.
Good job. I've never understood why people feel the need to pick on people in the service industry. Perhaps their lives are that pathetic and that by pointing out the imperfections of others they feel better about themselves.



grizgirl
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Helena

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by grizgirl » Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 am

tampa_griz wrote: Good job. I've never understood why people feel the need to pick on people in the service industry. Perhaps their lives are that pathetic and that by pointing out the imperfections of others they feel better about themselves.
Agreed. I know of people who design their vacations around service and how well trained the staff at the hotels and restaurants are. All persnickity about it. When they come to visit Montana they ask how's the service at the restaurants there. I'm like, if you're worried about that you better just stay home.

There are subtle things that good wait staff do or don't do. One is not walking in front of a customer. I notice no wait staff has ever adhered to that rule anywhere I've been in Montana. Not that I care, but I just notice it now that I've been told this. I know there are rules about what it means when a customer places their silver ware in a certain place on the table/plate either. I guess there are certain meanings for when the fork is on the plate, the napkin is on the chair, etc. Whatever.



Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3277
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by Grizlaw » Fri May 29, 2009 10:00 am

grizgirl wrote:Agreed. I know of people who design their vacations around service and how well trained the staff at the hotels and restaurants are. All persnickity about it. When they come to visit Montana they ask how's the service at the restaurants there. I'm like, if you're worried about that you better just stay home.

There are subtle things that good wait staff do or don't do. One is not walking in front of a customer. I notice no wait staff has ever adhered to that rule anywhere I've been in Montana. Not that I care, but I just notice it now that I've been told this. I know there are rules about what it means when a customer places their silver ware in a certain place on the table/plate either. I guess there are certain meanings for when the fork is on the plate, the napkin is on the chair, etc. Whatever.
I find that I appreciate really good service more than I am bothered by bad service. If a waiter is a little slow or just not over-the-top friendly, I usually won't care as long as they're not really bad ("really bad" meaning they are openly rude to me, or just ridiculously unattentive). As long as they get me my food and are at least somewhat friendly, they'll still get 20% (or something close). I do notice, though, when a waiter is really good, and I appreciate it. And when I say "really good," I'm not talking about the prissy little things like the silverware being in the right place or my napkin being neatly folded in my chair when I return from the restroom (I've noticed that east coast restaurants usually pay a little more attention to things like that, but I don't care about it at all) ; I'm just talking about being attentive, noticing when someone needs another drink, etc. I do notice when they're proactive like that, and I tip a little extra for it.


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Not that you needed any more proof......

Post by KittieKop » Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 pm

I don't mind the whole tipping issue, what I do mind is the expectation of a certain amount/percentage regardless of the service. I have shut out wait staff before because they were exceptionally bad. I do usually start around 15% or so, but will go up or down from there. If I have a particularly bad experience, I have no problem pointing that out through the gratuity (assuming responsibility lies with him/her). If the waiter/waitress is paticularly nice, attentive or goes out of their way to make my meal nice, I also take the opportunity to thank them - and also show that through a tip. But to expect a 10, 15, or 20% tip on top of a bill "just because" the service person was conscious and breathing - I'm a little annoyed at tat expectation. Its also a matter that a meal out is a rare and nice treat for my family, and to take 5 people out for a meal runs $50 any more, even at a reasonably priced place - and to add $10 to that - its difficult. Its $30 any more to take the kids and two adults to McDonalds. I don't know what other people make, but my budget doesn't stretch too far. We've had this discussion before, but to even order pizza any more is $30 for the food, a delivery charge from the restaurant then a tip to the driver - eating out or ordering in is one of the luxuries we've cut way back on in our family cause we can't afford it very often.

As an aside to the comping meals and service discussion, I oftentimes while at work will have restaurants, convenience stores, etc, etc try to give me discounts or free food or beverages - not because they are expecting something out of it, but because they appreciate me and want to do something nice. Regardless of the motive, I can't accept those gifts (because they are a gratuity) and have actually gotten into arguements with people over accepting them. I actually got into it with a teenage girl at a fast food place a number of years ago, as it seems the owner had a "policy" in place to give discounts to certain people - including cops. I went back and forth with her about it when she finally told me she had to do it or she'd get fired. Anytime I get in those situations, I leave a comparable amount of money on the counter and tell the person to do with it what they please - put it in the register or put it in their pocket - but I have to pay my way. I've also dropped my $5 in the MDA or Ronald McDonald House bucket if they refuse to take it.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

Post Reply