Andy Rooney

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Andy Rooney

Post by GOKATS » Wed May 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
GOKATS wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:GOKATS: You probably should read this link (that's been posted twice now on this thread):

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/bigcars.asp

It would appear that even Andy Rooney -- a guy who is famous for being a grumpy bitter old man and little else -- was repulsed by his name being attached to this piece ... and he actually did explicitly threaten legal action (as would most people).
I had read it, but it was awhile back so I read it again. Ok, so maybe Andy Rooney wouldn't endorse what was said. I'll stick with my statement that there is little chance of prosecuting anyone in this situation, but idle threats don't hurt anything. That's not to say that Rooney shouldn't be upset that someone pinned something to his name that was none of his doing.
If Kramer (to use a scenario known to all of us and not in any way a reflection of a personal dislike of said plaintiff) can sue MSU for "libel" and "slander" and have a top-tier attorney take his case, I'm thinking Rooney's case would be a relative slam dunk.
K , in your case , specifically has someone to sue and point a finger at for alleged damages to himself. Who is Rooney going to sue if someone randomly posted something on the internet attributing something written by someone else to him? You might as well shoot blanks if you don't have a specific target to aim at.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I assumed we were operating under the assumption that the person who attributed this to Rooney was known. Of course, if nobody knows who did it, it will be impossible to sue them.

You: I do wish the author were known though so he/she could receive the proper credit.

Sportin': And the proper visit from Mr. Rooney's lawyers.

From that exchange, I took it as assumed we were speaking in the context of the person responsible being known.

If we are dealing instead with the "reality" scenario (where nobody knows who wrote and/or attributed it, apparently), then I totally agree that it would be pretty hard to sue that person.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

tampa_griz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:seems to me that most of the people that posted under this title would like credit for that or agree with what was said.
Maybe anonymously they would. The person it was attributed to distanced himself from it (for very good reasons). If I actually overheard someone saying that out loud I'd start laughing......especially the part about "we did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars.....". I've yet to meet anyone that can honestly count themselves a member of that group (and I know many) speak of their experiences like that.

I didn't do it anonymously. I agree with pretty much everything that is said on that. My name is down below.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Ummm....did you spell your name wrong in your User ID?

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:Ummm....did you spell your name wrong in your User ID?
Haha no it was a nickname from high school.

Thanks for looking out for me though.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Thu May 14, 2009 2:03 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:Ummm....did you spell your name wrong in your User ID?
Haha no it was a nickname from high school.

Thanks for looking out for me though.
:wink:

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.