Andy Rooney

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Toucat
BobcatNation Letterman

Andy Rooney

Post by Toucat » Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 am

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the Un ited Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING, MARTHA BURKE ?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.

I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich; I don't pity the poor. I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be 'African-Americans'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough ...

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Re: Andy Rooney

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon May 11, 2009 9:36 am

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/bigcars.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't believe everything e-mailed to you....

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:37 am

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/bigcars.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whoever wrote this was right on the money and shows signs of common sense not displayed very often in the USA.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

Toucat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Toucat » Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 am

GrizinWashington wrote:http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/bigcars.asp

Don't believe everything e-mailed to you....
:oops: I did get it in an e-mail [-X

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 am

Whoever wrote it is brilliant and I agree with everything that was written. :thumbup:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Is Andy Rooney still alive?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BearCat » Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 pm

GOKATS wrote:Whoever wrote it is brilliant and I agree with everything that was written. :thumbup:
I second that! I very much enjoyed reading that more than anything that has been posted on BN recently. Already printed, framed, and hanging in my living room.

Sincerely, Avid Griz & Bobcat Fan!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 am

=D^

The best post ever on bobcatnation. It rivals most of my posts.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Wed May 13, 2009 9:10 am

cats2506 wrote:Is Andy Rooney still alive?
Still alive & kicking!
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minut ... 3419.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sportin' Life
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Sportin' Life » Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 am

GOKATS wrote:Whoever wrote it is brilliant and I agree with everything that was written. :thumbup:
But you have a little problem with falsely crediting the work to someone else, right?

"GD it, PETAns piss me off!
Were never gonna end up with a stupid eagle or a faggy bobcat as a mascot!"
Cartman

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed May 13, 2009 9:27 am

Sportin' Life wrote:
But you have a little problem with falsely crediting the work to someone else, right?
Rooney himself is embarassed that he's been credited with it.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am

Sportin' Life wrote:
I didn't address that issue, but sure. I do wish the author were known though so he/she could receive the proper credit.

FTG!!

Sportin' Life
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Sportin' Life » Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 am

GOKATS wrote:
Sportin' Life wrote:
I didn't address that issue, but sure. I do wish the author were known though so he/she could receive the proper credit.
And the proper visit from Mr. Rooney's lawyers.

"GD it, PETAns piss me off!
Were never gonna end up with a stupid eagle or a faggy bobcat as a mascot!"
Cartman

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 am

Sportin' Life wrote:
GOKATS wrote:
Sportin' Life wrote:
And the proper visit from Mr. Rooney's lawyers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea, I'm sure the author is shaking in his boots waiting for those big, bad lawyers to show up. Someone took someone else's writing and anonymously put it on the internet as being written by Andy Rooney, ooooooooh.................... Good luck with this one councilor.

After listening to Rooney for many years he'd probably like to congratulate the author as well. He may not have written this but it's in line with his political philosophy.

FTG!!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 am

GOKATS: You probably should read this link (that's been posted twice now on this thread):

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/bigcars.asp

It would appear that even Andy Rooney -- a guy who is famous for being a grumpy bitter old man and little else -- was repulsed by his name being attached to this piece ... and he actually did explicitly threaten legal action (as would most people).

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed May 13, 2009 3:29 pm

seems to me that most of the people that posted under this title would like credit for that or agree with what was said.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed May 13, 2009 3:35 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:seems to me that most of the people that posted under this title would like credit for that or agree with what was said.
Maybe anonymously they would. The person it was attributed to distanced himself from it (for very good reasons). If I actually overheard someone saying that out loud I'd start laughing......especially the part about "we did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars.....". I've yet to meet anyone that can honestly count themselves a member of that group (and I know many) speak of their experiences like that.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 13, 2009 3:37 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:seems to me that most of the people that posted under this title would like credit for that or agree with what was said.
And if everyone who had read that blurb commented whether or not that blurb is something they would be proud to have put to their name, that "most" observation would mean quite a lot. As it is, it looks like four (4) people (counting Alpha) have said something along those lines ... out of a couple hundred who read the thread.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:GOKATS: You probably should read this link (that's been posted twice now on this thread):

It would appear that even Andy Rooney -- a guy who is famous for being a grumpy bitter old man and little else -- was repulsed by his name being attached to this piece ... and he actually did explicitly threaten legal action (as would most people).
I had read it, but it was awhile back so I read it again. Ok, so maybe Andy Rooney wouldn't endorse what was said. I'll stick with my statement that there is little chance of prosecuting anyone in this situation, but idle threats don't hurt anything. That's not to say that Rooney shouldn't be upset that someone pinned something to his name that was none of his doing.

FTG!!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 13, 2009 3:43 pm

GOKATS wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:GOKATS: You probably should read this link (that's been posted twice now on this thread):

I had read it, but it was awhile back so I read it again. Ok, so maybe Andy Rooney wouldn't endorse what was said. I'll stick with my statement that there is little chance of prosecuting anyone in this situation, but idle threats don't hurt anything. That's not to say that Rooney shouldn't be upset that someone pinned something to his name that was none of his doing.
If Kramer (to use a scenario known to all of us and not in any way a reflection of a personal dislike of said plaintiff) can sue MSU for "libel" and "slander" and have a top-tier attorney take his case, I'm thinking Rooney's case would be a relative slam dunk.