Federal police in Portland?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Federal police in Portland?

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:57 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 pm
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:43 pm
Proud Boy gets the weight of the federal government on him for burning a BLM poster. These pieces of ****** can burn down an entire city and NOTHING will happen to them. Two tiers of justice.
Man, I missed the news that an entire city was burned down. So we have millions more homeless now?
I've said this countless times, but these people have ZERO idea of what Portland actually looks like or what has/has been going on there. It's sheer, utter willful ignorance. No comments from them about Fox News altering photos of Seattle as well as fake viral facebook photos of burned cars and destroyed buildings. So many of these are debunked and it's so easy to figure it out if one takes 2 minutes to research.

The amount of people that think Portland is "burning to the ground" is absurd. Wishful thinking to fit their narrative that the left is so violent.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Cataholic
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:13 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:57 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Proud Boy gets the weight of the federal government on him for burning a BLM poster. These pieces of ****** can burn down an entire city and NOTHING will happen to them. Two tiers of justice.
Man, I missed the news that an entire city was burned down. So we have millions more homeless now?
I've said this countless times, but these people have ZERO idea of what Portland actually looks like or what has/has been going on there. It's sheer, utter willful ignorance. No comments from them about Fox News altering photos of Seattle as well as fake viral facebook photos of burned cars and destroyed buildings. So many of these are debunked and it's so easy to figure it out if one takes 2 minutes to research.

The amount of people that think Portland is "burning to the ground" is absurd. Wishful thinking to fit their narrative that the left is so violent.
What??? You don’t recall the Portland resident that posted here a couple months talking about how bad it is? You haven’t seen the articles about people who have lost their livelihoods on these riots? Are you seriously saying this is all made up?

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:13 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

What??? You don’t recall the Portland resident that posted here a couple months talking about how bad it is? You haven’t seen the articles about people who have lost their livelihoods on these riots? Are you seriously saying this is all made up?
Hey Catblitz - I guess CNN is full of crap too?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/portl ... index.html

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Business cant get their insurance renewed in parts of the city.

https://www.kgw.com/amp/article/news/lo ... 5c8697c509

The Portland riots back in June had hit $23 million in losses:

https://katu.com/amp/news/local/portlan ... y-protests

Damage from the riots across the US are expected to surpass $1 Billion.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/dam ... ensive.amp

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm

CatBlitz wrote:

I've said this countless times, but these people have ZERO idea of what Portland actually looks like or what has/has been going on there. It's sheer, utter willful ignorance.
I’m not necessarily disputing what your saying, or really wanting to get in this discussion, but couldn’t anyone say that about anything we see on tv or read in the news? Maybe Oklahoma City and Minneapolis really weren’t bad at all when the news was talking about riots, violence and protests.

Kenosha looked terrible on tv (so does Portland), but maybe it was nothing NEAR as terrible as it seemed.

I guess if this is true, people should always take a good hard look at where they’re getting their news and their “facts”, because unless you are actually in ground zero, it’s possible it’s just all fake like the picture they’re painting of Portland right now?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:35 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm
CatBlitz wrote:

I've said this countless times, but these people have ZERO idea of what Portland actually looks like or what has/has been going on there. It's sheer, utter willful ignorance.
I’m not necessarily disputing what your saying, or really wanting to get in this discussion, but couldn’t anyone say that about anything we see on tv or read in the news? Maybe Oklahoma City and Minneapolis really weren’t bad at all when the news was talking about riots, violence and protests.

Kenosha looked terrible on tv (so does Portland), but maybe it was nothing NEAR as terrible as it seemed.

I guess if this is true, people should always take a good hard look at where they’re getting their news and their “facts”, because unless you are actually in ground zero, it’s possible it’s just all fake like the picture they’re painting of Portland right now?
Like how some people think Covid is worse than it is and some don’t think it’s as bad as it is?

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Like how some people think Covid is worse than it is and some don’t think it’s as bad as it is?
Possibly. How so?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:34 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:25 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Hey Catblitz - I guess CNN is full of crap too?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/portl ... index.html
Oh no, a building got damaged? I guess the whole city is burning down! RUN!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

I have told so many people that I've literally been there and have been up there many many times since that started and they refuse to believe things I've seen with my own eyes. They'd rather watch TV. I've never discounted the vandalism and the riots themselves. Those things happened and the destruction was awful. And they happened in a very specific, roughly 2 block radius of dt Portland. To say that that it's so widespread that it's a warzone is just asinine.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:40 pm

Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Where did I say it was all made up? The entire ****** city is not burning to the ground, which is what SO many people are claiming. That's absurd.

That person said that's what that couple told him. I'm not sure I believe it unless they were literally living at the heart of the protests, which is certainly understandable. But as I recall, there was of course party politics attached and I found it laughable that they were moving to Austin, TX, the most liberal city in that state.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:19 am

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:40 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Where did I say it was all made up? The entire ****** city is not burning to the ground, which is what SO many people are claiming. That's absurd.

That person said that's what that couple told him. I'm not sure I believe it unless they were literally living at the heart of the protests, which is certainly understandable. But as I recall, there was of course party politics attached and I found it laughable that they were moving to Austin, TX, the most liberal city in that state.
Given your description of the damage, there must be some local media coverage showing a map or something indicating the area of damage. Maybe you can dig that up for those of us that have to rely on the news. And $23 million in damage seems to pretty significant (as of July). And that doesn’t include the $8 to $9 million in police costs reported in September associated with the riots. It would also seem that insurance costs increasing or policies flat out being cancelled would add credence to the fact that a significant event took place. Additionally, I find it hard to believe that you would take a “whole city is burning down” statement so literally.

Getting off the subject, but why hasn’t Biden formally addressed the violence in Portland and Seattle? I heard some of you give him a pass last time because he wasn’t the President. Now he is President, but many of you are still giving him a pass.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:41 am

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

I have told so many people that I've literally been there and have been up there many many times since that started and they refuse to believe things I've seen with my own eyes. They'd rather watch TV. I've never discounted the vandalism and the riots themselves. Those things happened and the destruction was awful. And they happened in a very specific, roughly 2 block radius of dt Portland. To say that that it's so widespread that it's a warzone is just asinine.
I trust you. You've seen it firsthand. Media can control the narrative pretty easily. I guess that's my point. Maybe nothing we see on tv is anywhere NEAR as bad as they make it seem? And none of us should dispute that because none of us were in any of the areas that looks so awful.

Maybe this is why some members of this board have been so vocal about "fake news". Seems your experience would verify that things aren't nearly as bad as they seem. That's too bad because right now the media is making Portland and Seattle look terrible. And because people around the country aren't there to see with their own eyes that it's fine there, they will come away with this same opinion that it is really bad.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:41 am
CatBlitz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

I trust you. You've seen it firsthand. Media can control the narrative pretty easily. I guess that's my point. Maybe nothing we see on tv is anywhere NEAR as bad as they make it seem? And none of us should dispute that because none of us were in any of the areas that looks so awful.

Maybe this is why some members of this board have been so vocal about "fake news". Seems your experience would verify that things aren't nearly as bad as they seem. That's too bad because right now the media is making Portland and Seattle look terrible. And because people around the country aren't there to see with their own eyes that it's fine there, they will come away with this same opinion that it is really bad.
Fox, OAN, Parler and several other right wing news sources were just forced to tell the truth about Dominion vote counting systems on air in the past few weeks. These apologies were unprecedented in terms of their length and detail. They had to admit that what they were telling the American public about Dominion was absolutely false or they would've been sued for a crippling amount in damages. That alone destroys any credibility those sources ever had.

Shepherd Smith just quit Fox News. He was there when Fox first went on the air. He cited an "ethical conflict with the direction and integrity of the network." He hired a lawyer to negotiate his exit long before he announced this.

So it isn't hard to imagine Fox is exaggerating the scale of violence during the Seattle and Portland protests, or any protest by left wing groups.
Last edited by iaafan on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Fox, OANN, Parler and several other right wing news sources were just forced to tell the truth about Dominion vote counting systems on air in the past few weeks. These apologies were unprecedented in terms of their length and detail. They had to admit that what they were telling the American public about Dominion was absolutely false or they would've been sued for a crippling amount in damages. That alone destroys any credibility those sources ever had.

Shepherd Smith just quit Fox News. He was there when Fox first went on the air. He cited an "ethical conflict with the direction and integrity of the network." He hired a lawyer to negotiate his exit long before he announced this.

So it isn't hard to imagine Fox is exaggerating the scale of violence during the Seattle and Portland protests, or any protest by left wing groups.
I can agree with that, though I'm not really familiar with all of those networks.

Is it possible other networks do the same thing on the "other side"? Or is it pretty common knowledge that it's just Fox and the ones you mentioned? I guess I just assumed if one side is doing it...they're ALL doing it. But I have no idea.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:12 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Fox, OAN, Parler and several other right wing news sources were just forced to tell the truth about Dominion vote counting systems on air in the past few weeks. These apologies were unprecedented in terms of their length and detail. They had to admit that what they were telling the American public about Dominion was absolutely false or they would've been sued for a crippling amount in damages. That alone destroys any credibility those sources ever had.

I can agree with that, though I'm not really familiar with all of those networks.

Is it possible other networks do the same thing on the "other side"? Or is it pretty common knowledge that it's just Fox and the ones you mentioned? I guess I just assumed if one side is doing it...they're ALL doing it. But I have no idea.
Networks make innocent mistakes all the time and go on air and apologize and say they regret the error (you've probably seen this), but in this case these networks had to go to great lengths in issuing apologies in great detail. You can go watch one on YouTube, please do. Everyone should. People on the right, especially, have just poo-poo'd this stuff and continue march on with their "stolen election" mantra even though it has been put right in their faces.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you aren't familiar with OAN and Parler, but you probably should take the time to get to know what they are. They're very influential to the extreme right. They know they're lying and do it anyway, because even if they get caught they feel that the effect of their lies are worth it. It's evil incarnate.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Networks make innocent mistakes all the time and go on air and apologize and say they regret the error (you've probably seen this), but in this case these networks had to go to great lengths in issuing apologies in great detail. You can go watch one on YouTube, please do. Everyone should. People on the right, especially, have just poo-poo'd this stuff and continue march on with their "stolen election" mantra even though it has been put right in their faces.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you aren't familiar with OAN and Parler, but you probably should take the time to get to know what they are. They're very influential to the extreme right. They know they're lying and do it anyway, because even if they get caught they feel that the effect of their lies are worth it. It's evil incarnate.

But CNN and MSNBC never do it?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:55 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Appreciate the post!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:19 am
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

Given your description of the damage, there must be some local media coverage showing a map or something indicating the area of damage. Maybe you can dig that up for those of us that have to rely on the news. And $23 million in damage seems to pretty significant (as of July). And that doesn’t include the $8 to $9 million in police costs reported in September associated with the riots. It would also seem that insurance costs increasing or policies flat out being cancelled would add credence to the fact that a significant event took place. Additionally, I find it hard to believe that you would take a “whole city is burning down” statement so literally.

Getting off the subject, but why hasn’t Biden formally addressed the violence in Portland and Seattle? I heard some of you give him a pass last time because he wasn’t the President. Now he is President, but many of you are still giving him a pass.
This shows the initial march from the waterfront (right side with the green) to the blocks around the courthouse. Courthouse is the gray section of the block:

*And just to add, I take it literally because I've been told by people in Montana that that's literally what they think is happening. I think it's egregious and dangerous.
Again, not saying that the damage and the looting didn't happen, because it did. Those people do not represent the actual protests. But to imagine Portland as some sort of warzone is just incorrect.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

This shows the initial march from the waterfront (right side with the green) to the blocks around the courthouse. Courthouse is the gray section of the block:

*And just to add, I take it literally because I've been told by people in Montana that that's literally what they think is happening. I think it's egregious and dangerous.
Again, not saying that the damage and the looting didn't happen, because it did. Those people do not represent the actual protests. But to imagine Portland as some sort of warzone is just incorrect.
I just did a quick google search and found this. Is this similar to what you are presenting, or is it larger?

https://www.kptv.com/news/timeline-of-p ... e.amp.html

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/765145

Do the recent riots on the ICE facility and Democratic Party office fall within your representation as well?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cu-Ag-Au wrote:

I just did a quick google search and found this. Is this similar to what you are presenting, or is it larger?

https://www.kptv.com/news/timeline-of-p ... e.amp.html

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/765145

Do the recent riots on the ICE facility and Democratic Party office fall within your representation as well?
Yeah, I mean the area is going to be larger when you add in every single "incident" but the area of the protests and actual riots over the summer were pretty much secluded to that area I posted.

And I'm not familiar with the areas of the ICE facility and Democratic office so I can't really comment on that right now.