Shelby Schweyen Wins Pentathlon on Day 1 of Big Sky Indoors

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Shelby Schweyen Wins Pentathlon on Day 1 of Big Sky Indoors

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:14 pm

Way to go, Shelby!

https://msubobcats.com/news/2024/2/22/w ... ships.aspx

Schweyen, a senior from Missoula, took over the leaderboard in the pentathlon after the second event and didn't look back, cruising to a total of 3,817 points to become the Big Sky Conference champion in the event.

"I can't really put it into words," Schweyen said. "It's been a long road. Lots of ups and downs—lots of downs—but through it all I persevered and I was surrounded by great groups of people who helped build me up and support me along the way with lots of love. I really learned what hard work and determination mean over the past few years, and everything has led me to this and I couldn't be happier with my performance today."

Schweyen is the daughter of Bobcat All-American and Hall of Famer Brian Schweyen and Big Sky Hall of Fame basketball player Shannon Cate. Brian Schweyen competed for the Cats from 1988 to 1991 and was a seven-time All-Big Sky Conference performer, winning six BSC titles in the high jump and pole vault.

Now Shelby adds to the family trophy case—after a long journey beset by injuries and heartbreak, the former University of Montana basketball player is a Big Sky champion for the Bobcats.

"When you really put it into context, it's one of the most incredible stories," jumps and multis coach Craig Hunter said. "She's had five knee surgeries, shin issues the last two years being at Montana State. She's a natural athlete and comes from a long line of athletes. We were just waiting for this to happen. Really all we had to do was get her to the meet feeling good, and this happens. I think that's an incredible place to be with somebody, and you don't see that every day—it's special."

Schweyen's total of 3,817 points is the fourth-best score in Montana State history and the best pentathlon by a Bobcat since 2016.

The senior turned the tables on the competition with a momentum-swinging high jump, clearing a personal-best of 1.71 meters (05-08.25) to score 867 points and rocket up from seventh to first.

Schweyen would not lose the lead after that, getting second in the shot put to add separation, then doing enough in the long jump to build a cushion before the 800 meters, which she won to put a cherry on top of a memorable day and grab the gold.

"It's just so cool to see, and it means so much to her coming from where she comes from and her track pedigree background," Hunter said. "Being able to be here today and share it with her has been incredible."

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Shelby Schweyen Wins Pentathlon on Day 1 of Big Sky Indoors

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:16 pm

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 pm

This is a much needed 2024 highlight for sure!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:29 am

Five knee surgeries, that is PERSEVERANCE =D^ =D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:20 pm

That was an awesome accomplishment for Shelby. With all of the injuries and surgeries she's endured you can't help but be very happy for her.
One thing that I find mind blowing is that her high jump was 5' 7.25" a lifetime best for her. That would've given her 2nd place in the high jump event.
I hope she can repeat her success at the outdoor championships this spring.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!