Bobcat VB - Huge start to the Houk era

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Nvcat
New Recruit

Re: Bobcat VB - Huge start to the Houk era

Post by Nvcat » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm

Great start for the Bobcats team is playing well together. Good to see the drama from last year is gone. With that said coach Aiazzi has his new team 9-0. Sometimes change is good for everyone. Keep it up Bobcats

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:34 pm

Nvcat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm
Great start for the Bobcats team is playing well together. Good to see the drama from last year is gone. With that said coach Aiazzi has his new team 9-0. Sometimes change is good for everyone. Keep it up Bobcats
Good for Aiazzi. Nothing against the guy we got, who looks like a fantastic hire, but I thought Aiazzi was a lock for HC.

snarf
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by snarf » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:02 pm

CatBot wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:34 pm
Nvcat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:56 pm
Good for Aiazzi. Nothing against the guy we got, who looks like a fantastic hire, but I thought Aiazzi was a lock for HC.
Also, nothing against Aiazzi,think he is great. But it is an apples and oranges comparison. He isn’t the head coach at his current job.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:17 am

2-0 start to conference play with sweeps over Idaho and Idaho State this weekend! UI and ISU are the two worst teams in the conference but good to see them dominate the teams they should be dominating against.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:29 am

First Cat/Griz this week! Can't wait to watch.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:55 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:29 am
First Cat/Griz this week! Can't wait to watch.
Really need to put that team in the bag this year. Absolutely should happen but one never knows.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:43 am

The Cats got off to a slow start last night, dropping the first set 19-25 (it wasn’t that close), then won 3 straight. Down go the Jacks. Great performance!

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:00 pm

Last year we went to Missoula and whipped UM then had the huge crowd in the Brick and we laid an egg.

Maybe it will be reversed this year. Surprised to see UM dominate us they way they did in three straight sets.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:03 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:00 pm
Last year we went to Missoula and whipped UM then had the huge crowd in the Brick and we laid an egg.

Maybe it will be reversed this year. Surprised to see UM dominate us they way they did in three straight sets.
Pretty sure we bageled with the gris last year. 2 of the 3 Brawl points we didn't win.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:00 pm

Ladies showing grit tonight against UNC. Didn’t get off the bus for the first set and a half, came storming back for a 5-set victory!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:52 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:00 pm
Ladies showing grit tonight against UNC. Didn’t get off the bus for the first set and a half, came storming back for a 5-set victory!
Great win, UNC are the defending Big Sky champs and always have a good team. First ever road sweep of NAU and UNC.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:09 pm

Another good win over the Eagles. Ladies finding creative ways to score and showing great teamwork. Have really cleaned up the service errors from last week. Now the Vandals.

I am done with our announcers. No improvement by the retuning commentator and the new guy is clueless. Future games will be muted.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:49 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:09 pm
Another good win over the Eagles. Ladies finding creative ways to score and showing great teamwork. Have really cleaned up the service errors from last week. Now the Vandals.

I am done with our announcers. No improvement by the retuning commentator and the new guy is clueless. Future games will be muted.
She's a former gris player. Knowledgeable yes, but her disdain and/or contempt for the Cats shows through far too often. Drives me crazy. Yes, the new guy is clueless. He was talking about bass fishing for cripes sake. Not contributing anything meaningful.

Anyway I'm adjusting my plans to make the Idaho game at noon on Saturday. This team is certainly fun to watch and plays hard. Can't wait to see them live for the first time ever.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:33 pm

The ladies are playing well together and I think our new coaching staff is really developing their skills.
Yeah the announcers leave a lot to be desired. Gal babbles on about a book while 4 hugely important awesome points get scored by the Cats. The bass fishing thing was the stupidest part of a long list of EWU alumni greats. Please do better!!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:20 am

CatBot wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:49 pm
nevadacat wrote:

She's a former gris player. Knowledgeable yes, but her disdain and/or contempt for the Cats shows through far too often. Drives me crazy. Yes, the new guy is clueless. He was talking about bass fishing for cripes sake. Not contributing anything meaningful.

Anyway I'm adjusting my plans to make the Idaho game at noon on Saturday. This team is certainly fun to watch and plays hard. Can't wait to see them live for the first time ever.
@CatBot You are in for a major treat. I still remember my first match, clear back in the Dave Gantt era. We got free tickets on a faculty/staff promotion for an evening game in Shroyer. We got there about 25 minutes before game time, and the energy was already palpable. You are so much closer to the action than in the Brick. A couple of balls came whistling by us as we crossed past the end of the court and I grabbed my wife’s arm to get her attention so as not to get brained. Then we turned the corner by the bench — ‘Cats used to use the west end — and I was blown away. I’m 6-1 and I felt like I had shrunk six inches. My wife is 5-4 and she was looking big-eyed. You’ll hopefully be blown away by the athleticism, the agility, the quickness and the power of the players. This is not your Grandfather’s picnic game. It quickly became our favorite sport as they were the ones that were winning 20 games in those seasons. Glad you are going — that free promotion caused us to buy season tickets for close to 15 years. Be forewarned. 💙💛😺

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:10 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:20 am
CatBot wrote:
nevadacat wrote:

@CatBot You are in for a major treat. I still remember my first match, clear back in the Dave Gantt era. We got free tickets on a faculty/staff promotion for an evening game in Shroyer. We got there about 25 minutes before game time, and the energy was already palpable. You are so much closer to the action than in the Brick. A couple of balls came whistling by us as we crossed past the end of the court and I grabbed my wife’s arm to get her attention so as not to get brained. Then we turned the corner by the bench — ‘Cats used to use the west end — and I was blown away. I’m 6-1 and I felt like I had shrunk six inches. My wife is 5-4 and she was looking big-eyed. You’ll hopefully be blown away by the athleticism, the agility, the quickness and the power of the players. This is not your Grandfather’s picnic game. It quickly became our favorite sport as they were the ones that were winning 20 games in those seasons. Glad you are going — that free promotion caused us to buy season tickets for close to 15 years. Be forewarned. 💙💛😺
Nice! Thanks for the background and story B4E. :thumbup: Can't wait for Saturday, although I'm not a distance to Bozeman where season tickets make sense.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:08 pm

CatBot wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:10 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:20 am
CatBot wrote:
nevadacat wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the background and story B4E. :thumbup: Can't wait for Saturday, although I'm not a distance to Bozeman where season tickets make sense.
And they generally draw a nice crowd. It’s even more of a treat if one of the fraternities shows up to voice their comments to the opposing team…🥴…. or like last night a young female VB team was there watching adding some positive energy. I love it when the backcourt ladies dig out a spike or make a nice “set” from a fast ball that would surely coldcock me before I could even get my hands up.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:42 am

Another sweep over EWU and Idaho this weekend and the Cats are now tied for 1st in the Big Sky at 6-1. The schedule gets a lot tougher from here on out though, this week they go on the road to PSU and Sac State.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:44 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:42 am
Another sweep over EWU and Idaho this weekend and the Cats are now tied for 1st in the Big Sky at 6-1. The schedule gets a lot tougher from here on out though, this week they go on the road to PSU and Sac State.
First, the game on Saturday was incredible. The Cats kept accelerating the entire afternoon. If they played another set, I'd guess it would have finished around 25-7. By the end, you could see the Vandals just wanted out of Shroyer as fast as possible. Glad I finally made a game.

Second, why didn't the alumni association coordinate with the volleyball team playing on the same day as the football team down at Sac? Maybe they did and I missed it. If not, this was a golden opportunity to rally support for a match that could ultimately decide the conference championship. The schedule is perfect: volleyball straight into the tailgate straight into the football game.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:12 am

CatBot wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:44 am
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:42 am
First, the game on Saturday was incredible. The Cats kept accelerating the entire afternoon. If they played another set, I'd guess it would have finished around 25-7. By the end, you could see the Vandals just wanted out of Shroyer as fast as possible. Glad I finally made a game.

Second, why didn't the alumni association coordinate with the volleyball team playing on the same day as the football team down at Sac? Maybe they did and I missed it. If not, this was a golden opportunity to rally support for a match that could ultimately decide the conference championship. The schedule is perfect: volleyball straight into the tailgate straight into the football game.
Not sure about the alumni association, thought I had seen something from them about it but can't find anything now. I did get this from the athletic department last week: https://ats.eccmp.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1= ... f19f67b3da

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon