Olympic Trials

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Olympic Trials

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:27 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Olympic Trials

Post by Wrangler » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:43 pm

It is incredible that MSU has 4 athletes in the Olympic Trials for track & field! It should be an unbelievable experience for each of them.

What track & field athlete from Montana has the best chance of qualifying for the Olympics? I haven’t studied it too close yet, but I’ve got to think that Dani Aragon from Billings has an outside shot. She ran a 4:05 1500 m a couple of weeks ago. Will have to run faster on Friday night, that’s for sure, but very exciting nonetheless. Any thoughts?

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am

A couple months ago, I would've said Drake Schneider in the 400 hurdles. In April, his time (50.12)was 2nd fastest in Big Sky history and top 50 in the world. He won the Big Sky, but couldn't make it through the West Regional to the NCAA championship meet. That was won by a freshman from LSU at 47.85...3 others were under 49 seconds.

Now I'd say Aragon. She has an advantage as running as a pro/post-collegiate. These trials are a huge step up in competition level. If you've never run against the very best the US has to offer...I'd imagine it could be pretty intimidating

or

Duncan Hamilton (Bozeman, MSU) in the 3000m Steeplechase. He placed 5th at NCAA meet.

or

Benji Phillips (Glasgow, NDSU) in the javelin. He placed 8th at NCAA meet.

It would be very impressive if any of the Montana athletes were to make finals. Once you make finals....anything can happen. Top 3 make US Olympic squad (with Olympic qualifying time/distance)

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:21 am

I know I'm biased, but Makena Morley has been running great unattached and in road races lately. She only gets the chance to qualify in the 10k, which isn't her strongest race. There was something weird about the marathon, where they kept last year's qualifiers without even opening it back up to anybody else. That's where I think she has the best chance to qualify and do well, but recently she was right around where she would've needed to be to qualify in the 10k. Pulling for all these kids to do well. Some pretty impressive athletes from this state!