volunteer track and field officials

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mchammer
BobcatNation Team Captain

volunteer track and field officials

Post by mchammer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Our MSU indoor season is about to start, and we are always looking for willing volunteers to help conduct the meets. Some jobs require no experience, others require a lot of knowledge and experience. We will host a clinic that will certify to level 1 on Jan 18, 2 PM in the Hall of Fame room in the Fieldhouse. Call me or e-mail if you are interested. We typically need around 40 volunteers to host a meet. Our officials are the best that we have experienced, and our meets the best organized of any we compete in. Our sport runs on good will.

Mike Carignan
994-5222
carignan@montana.edu

mchammer

Re: volunteer track and field officials

Post by mchammer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:51 am

The clinic is free. You can attend the officials clinic and opt to not certify. Certification requires a written test, and you must join USATF ($30), and pay a certification fee ($15). Then you are certified for four years. We do not require our officials to certify, but we are very proud to say to teams interested in attending our meets that we have an officials association with 30 certified officials. A few years ago a Canadian set a provincial record in one of our indoor meets and we were able to provide the certified official signatures needed for approval. Certified officials are included in a liability insurance plan, which could come in handy if an athlete were to suffer a severe injury. There are other benefits. The clinc will be very informative.

Mike carignan

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:02 am

Oh come on now, how hard can it be to judge? Just give the medal to the people who run the fastest, jump the highest, and throw things the farthest! :wink:

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:06 pm

It can be like that, clear and very sportsmanlike, if you have good officials.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Old Skool Cat wrote:Oh come on now, how hard can it be to judge? Just give the medal to the people who run the fastest, jump the highest, and throw things the farthest! :wink:
Yeah, its just like reffing a football game - whoever scores the most points wins.. :wink: Seriously, I wish I was in Bozeman or could definitely say I could make meets - I would love to do this. Way back when I was a thrower in HS track - kind of miss the atmosphere. :)

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BradB3030
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BradB3030 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:06 pm

I'll be there! It's a great way to experience a track meet

Bobcat Track & Field 2002-2006
Big Sky Champs 2005 Outdoor

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks Brad,

The athletes appreciate it very much when our former athletes help.

For you track fans, our multi-meet with UM starts at 1:00 Friday Jan 16, and will run to about 4 or 5. It resumes saturday at 11 AM and will take about three hours. This will be ten or twelve decathlete/heptathlete types doing the indoor pentathlon for women, and heptathlon for men.

January 23rd we will host an open meet, which allows some non-collegians to participate. There will be five complete teams and members of a few other teams there, probably more than 200 competing. It starts at 4:30, ends around 10 PM. This meet will not be scored, but athletes will be competing hard to reach qualification standards for conference.

Our first scored home meet will be a dual with Idaho State in our fieldhouse Friday, Jan. 30, 4:30 -9ish. No open events, just varsity.

Mike Carignan