Brick Breeden to host D-1 Wrestling.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Brick Breeden to host D-1 Wrestling.

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Bozeman native Tyrel Todd set for homecoming dual at MSU Fieldhouse
By JOHN LETASKY
Of The Gazette Staff

It's Homecoming Night on Friday at Brick Breeden Fieldhouse on the Montana State campus.

Bozeman native Tyrel Todd and the rest of the Michigan Wolverines wrestling team will face Oregon State in a NCAA dual beginning at 7 p.m.

Michigan is ranked 15th in this week's InterMat poll, while Oregon State received votes and would be ranked 29th. The Bozeman Invitational high school wrestling tournament also begins Friday, and organizers said it will end a bit earlier than usual Friday evening so that the wrestlers, parents and fans can also attend the college dual.

Michigan coach Joe McFarland said he's excited to bring his squad to Montana. He said in the past Michigan has ventured to the hometowns of other prominent members of its team. "I think Montana State is looking at adding some sports in the future," McFarland said . "In the state of Montana there is a lot of people who would like to see Montana State add wrestling.

"Our trip is for a number of reasons. One is to get out there and wrestle in Ty's hometown of Bozeman. There were some people in the area that wanted to showcase it with the hopes MSU or Montana might add wrestling. There are a lot of good kids out of Montana limited with their opportunities.

"I've had a lot of success with Montana boys. Pat Owen (of Polson), Kyle Smith (of Butte) and now Tyrel. All those guys have gone through our program and have been captains here. We have had a lot of success with Montana kids, and unfortunately they don't have a lot of chances to college wrestle. This will be a good chance for us to showcase college wrestling. That's my purpose here.

Not only to have a great outing in Montana, but also so maybe in the future they will add the sport."

Todd, who has been battling a knee injury suffered in early December at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, is a fifth-year senior for the Wolverines. He is currently ranked third in the InterMat poll at 197 pounds. He was 2-0 at the Las Vegas tourney before withdrawing due to the injury and is 4-0 overall with two pins this season.

"It's a dream come true and an amazing opportunity," said Todd of wrestling again in Bozeman. "On the downer side, I kind of have a knee injury I'm coming back from. I'm a little hesitant because it will be the first time wrestling on it since I injured it. It's irritating.

"I don't know if I will wrestle for sure in the dual. I'm planning on it, but we'll make the decision later this week."

Todd is a 2004 Bozeman High graduate and was a four-time State AA finalist and three-time champion for the Hawks.

That success has continued at Michigan. After redshirting his freshman year and competing in open tournaments, Todd finished fifth in the NCAA Tournament as a sophomore and third last year.

He went 7-1 in last year's NCAA Tournament at 184 pounds, winning six straight matches after suffering an upset loss in the second round.

"That was obviously a real tough thing," said Todd of the second-round loss. "My goal was to be on top of the podium last year. I worked hard and put myself in good position to do it. I got an early loss, but emotionally I couldn't allow myself to dwell on it.

"It would have pulled me down emotionally and physically ... in my mind, I made that third-place spot my goal and got refocused."

Todd has been working hard to strengthen his knee in the past few weeks. McFarland said he believes Todd is "on track" to wrestle Friday and it will be a good opportunity for him to begin the second half of the season. The Big Ten Championships are set for March 7-8 in State College, Pa. The NCAA Championships are March 19-21 in St. Louis.

"I know as a coach, I appreciate the effort he has put forth and what he has done for this program," said McFarland. "He is focused on his goals and coming back from injury and winning a Big 10 and national title. Sometimes those things mean more as you get older."

With his most recent win, Todd became just the 30th wrestler in the 87-year history of the Michigan program to reach the 100-win milestone. He now has a career record of 100-27 for the Wolverines.

"It's a great honor to be in the 100-win club at Michigan," said Todd. "It was a goal of mine going there. It was kind of one of those things you don't think about through the grind of it. It comes with hard work and preparation.

"It's a tremendous honor to be a part of that and I'm hoping to get as many wins as I can this season."

Todd is also on track to earn his degree next year in education, with a history major and psychology minor. He is also planning to stay active in wrestling and shooting for a spot on the 2010 World Team and 2012 United States Olympic Team.

In the most recent U.S. Senior freestyle rankings, Todd is ranked 10th at 185 pounds. He was fourth in the challenge tournament at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in freestyle wrestling in June.

While competing internationally and in USA wrestling freestyle competitions, Todd represents the Wolverine Wrestling Club and the New York Athletic Club. If all goes according to plan, he hopes to keep busy next year as a volunteer coach at Michigan.

But right now, Todd is focused on the goal at hand. And McFarland likes what he's seen so far.

"He has had a great career here," said McFarland. "He has been a great addition since he walked on campus; just his desire and work ethic to try and be a national champion.

"He has been a great role model for the guys on the team with his character, the way he carries himself and his work ethic."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Brick Breeden to host D-1 Wrestling.

Post by cats2506 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:51 pm

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/vi ... ng#p223439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Friday and Saturday is the Bozeman invitational tournament, should be a really good HS tournament in the state. They will quite in time fri so that fans and the HS wrestlers can attend the UM/OSU dual at the Brick.

It should be a great weekend for Montana wrestling fans. :D

I am really bummed that I cant go :no:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

AGRBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by AGRBobcat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:07 am

I wish MSU could find a way to bring wrestling back. It would be a great sport for many good MT athletes. There are no options besides the NAIA level for MT kids. There were a lot of good MSU wrestlers in the 70's.

The field looks great! Thanks to all who donated.

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Platinumcat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:03 pm

The dual was excellent! Saturday's paper listed attendance right at 3500 (a virtual sell out based on the way it was set up). It was a great time. Take this event and add in the high school tournament and it was an excellent weekend of wrestling here in Bozeman.

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:50 pm

...and this has what to do with anything MSU related? Just asking...

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 am

Cat Grad wrote:...and this has what to do with anything MSU related? Just asking...
I'm sure that somebody within the Bobcat Athletics department had to give approval to utilize the MSU Fieldhouse for this event.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 am

TIrwin24 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:...and this has what to do with anything MSU related? Just asking...
I'm sure that somebody within the Bobcat Athletics department had to give approval to utilize the MSU Fieldhouse for this event.
Many would like to see a DI wrestling program back in the state of Montana. This event assists that campain.
here is a quote from another blog
1987 was the last year D-I wrestling was offered by MSU and UM. That year, UM was the Big Sky champions, and had a top 20 D-I ranking. Many athletes from both teams that were cut went on to be all-americans for other D-I colleges out of state. For 22 years most of our best wrestlers have had to leave this state to go to the next level. Think what caliber teams MSU/UM would have had if the likes of Matt Ruepal, Eggum, Jarrett, Andy, Zadick’s, Malia’s, Todd, Cheff, Owen’s, Bolton, Street……etc. (too many to mention; you get the idea), had stayed in state. Then, think of the recruiting potential for top non-Montanan’s. Wow….easily a top 10 ranked team. I hope MSU see’s the potential to bring glory to their university sports program through wrestling. 22 years has been too long of a wait.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

syvie5
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by syvie5 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:54 pm

I believe the events in the "Brick" and the events brought in are all MSU related.
They may not be directly related to Bobcat Athletics, but it all helps the department
and the university.
Many people shopped at the book store, bought MSU Bobcat merchandise and
were exposed to a great university.

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:07 pm

syvie5 wrote:I believe the events in the "Brick" and the events brought in are all MSU related.
They may not be directly related to Bobcat Athletics, but it all helps the department
and the university.
Many people shopped at the book store, bought MSU Bobcat merchandise and
were exposed to a great university.
Great. I took my kid to The Brick the summer before last to see "Dora the Explorer." It was a great show. I'm sure they had to call someone in athletics to ask permission to use the Field House. Gee ... I must have missed the thread on it.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:11 pm

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Funny stuff. Had my name been Billings Cat this wouldn't have been brought up a week after the last post...at 1150pm. :suds:

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 am

C'mon, BG. You've posted here a long time and you know the rules. You certainly know by now that -- as a Griz fan -- you are wrong about everything. Seriously, you could post that 3 is greater than 2 and you'd have a 5 page thread arguing against you, claiming Griz bias toward the 3, or that the 3 is only greater due to its bandwagon fans, or something along those lines.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 am

LOL, I'm done w/ this thread. :oops:

msusportsinfo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msusportsinfo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:05 am

The scheduling of all facilities is done through sports facilities, not athletics. The use of the stadium, Shroyer, the arena, the practice fields, everything, is managed by the Sports Facilities office, not athletics. Athletics has to schedule to use the facilities just like everyone else. It's a separate department under Auxiliary Services, not under athletics.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 am

This has to be the most innane thread around here in a long time. :oops:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 am

KittieKop wrote:This has to be the most innane thread around here in a long time. :oops:
Wasn't, until yesterday. Ok, Ok, I'm REALLY done...

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:46 am

Billings_Griz wrote:
KittieKop wrote:This has to be the most innane thread around here in a long time. :oops:
Agreed.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 am

KittieKop wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:
Agreed.
Me too. I mean wow....really just wow, this is just....wow. Some of you people have way too much time on your hands to worry about this kind of stuff.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon