Bobcat Volleyball 2021 Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Volleyball 2021 Season

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:59 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 pm
Someone needs to explain that. Block clearly comes down on the griz side of the net,

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 pm

standup
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by standup » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 pm

No, she ruled four hits early in the rally.

it is no more reasonable for me to dictate your fan experience than it is for you to dictate mine

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:14 am

standup wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 pm
I saw it right when it happened. Couldn't believe there wasn't a whistle. Instead of the Cat player hitting into the block, the strike went straight into the net. From there we played off the net as if it was a block, but no grizz players touched it. The ref said 4 hits, but it was actually 6.
My frustration is that it wasn't called at that moment. As it was, the Cats celebrated a massive victory only to have it overturned. If there was a whistle right away, it would been 15-15 and it would been easier to keep their heads screwed on and keep competing. Terrible on the head ref for not seeing something so obvious.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:05 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:14 am
standup wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 pm
I saw it right when it happened. Couldn't believe there wasn't a whistle. Instead of the Cat player hitting into the block, the strike went straight into the net. From there we played off the net as if it was a block, but no grizz players touched it. The ref said 4 hits, but it was actually 6.
My frustration is that it wasn't called at that moment. As it was, the Cats celebrated a massive victory only to have it overturned. If there was a whistle right away, it would been 15-15 and it would been easier to keep their heads screwed on and keep competing. Terrible on the head ref for not seeing something so obvious.
You are absolutely right about the psychological blow that the no call and eventual reversal had on the Cat ladies.
Yes it went into the top of the net with part of the ball above the net but there were 2 UM blockers right there and all that was needed was a touch of that ball and it would've been a live playable ball for MSU. From some of the looks I've had at it, those blockers were extremely close to touching the ball if they didn't touch it. I'm sure the official didn't just lightly reverse the call so we'll have to trust that evidence was clear in the clip she had available. In an earlier post I said that the pandora box of replay challenges was likely to never get closed again but now I see that it's experimental in conference play only this year. Maybe it will be rejected for next year.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:31 pm

If she saw what she ruled a four-hit, then why didn’t she stop play? I guess it was only after the point that the griz coaches called for a review? I saw that the first time I watched this but didn’t realize that was the point of contention. I moved it back half a dozen times and went on because it sure looked to me like the griz blocker(s) touched it. I’m very surprised to read that that was the issue. I guess it raises the question of what if, in reviewing that, they see a previous obvious net violation by the griz that was overlooked. Does it take precedence? I surely hope they had a high-speed stop action camera because I could never have reversed a non-call based on this video. No where near clear and convincing evidence. The up official had a great view and did not call it. Over and done. ‘Cats win.

I watched again. Obviously the near official got queried from the griz bench because she immediately gave the “touch” signal. So the officials agreed, it was over. I cannot guess what kind of a camera — is there one that looks right down the net? I hope Coach Jones got a look. Pandora’s box, indeed.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:31 pm
If she saw what she ruled a four-hit, then why didn’t she stop play? I guess it was only after the point that the griz coaches called for a review? I saw that the first time I watched this but didn’t realize that was the point of contention. I moved it back half a dozen times and went on because it sure looked to me like the griz blocker(s) touched it. I’m very surprised to read that that was the issue. I guess it raises the question of what if, in reviewing that, they see a previous obvious net violation by the griz that was overlooked. Does it take precedence? I surely hope they had a high-speed stop action camera because I could never have reversed a non-call based on this video. No where near clear and convincing evidence. The up official had a great view and did not call it. Over and done. ‘Cats win.

I watched again. Obviously the near official got queried from the griz bench because she immediately gave the “touch” signal. So the officials agreed, it was over. I cannot guess what kind of a camera — is there one that looks right down the net? I hope Coach Jones got a look. Pandora’s box, indeed.
I agree with you fairly closely on all you have written. I don't remember if you said you were at the game or like me only were able to watch it on E+.
There are rules that address what you were wondering about concerning possible previous violations during a rally that's being reviewed. If a previous violation is found it takes precedence. Like I wrote I hope the evidence was clear of there being no touch but can't help but wonder if the reversal was made more on the way the ball came off the net back to the Cat side than actually seeing no touch by the blockers. With some of the nonreversals or reversals we see in football it does make you wonder.
It totally sucks that we lost the brawl points and had to turn the mainline bell trophy over to the griz. Maybe this kind of loss will build a hot fire in the ladies competitive spirit. Fire was something they didn't show enough of Tuesday night.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:59 am

Joe Bobcat, I wasn’t at the game as we left my hometown of Bozeman and alma mater MSU in the mirror and moved very happily to the Nevada desert. I’m loving ESPN+. Having easier access to on-demand is a dream. And I have a larger screen here! I do miss the live games. Was last at Eastern Washington match just about two years ago. Can go up to Southern Utah to watch (I’m really sorry they are leaving the league) but Covid is too active there so we didn’t go on Saturday. I’m just a huge fan, and got a good education from my friends by hanging with them for 5 years as their daughter played at MSU. It opened the door to me getting to watch matches with a couple of legendary high school coaches watching their ex-players, an ex-player or two, and a guy who was a pretty good coach named Dave G. It was a lot of fun, so I really enjoy digging into technical aspects of the game like this.

Thanks for explaining the time precedence rule. That could cause a nasty chain reaction of one-upsmanship in a long rally. Hah, my interference under the net trumps your four-hit (but please don’t notice our sneaky back-court attack). What fun!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Big 5 set win last night on the road against Portland State, who beat MSU in 4 sets in Bozeman and was one of the three teams tied for first place going into the final weekend. They can clinch the #4 seed in the conference tournament with a win in Sacramento tomorrow - if they lose, they could end up #4, 5, or 6 depending on results of other games and tiebreakers.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:21 pm

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:40 pm

Nice. So good to see other sports getting the attention they deserve. They all work hard.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 am

Incredible recruiting tool. A HS kid imagining her name on one of those lockers could easily seal the deal. =D^