Should basketball have a “41”?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Should basketball have a “41”?

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am

It's a no for me, but I would like to see the players' names on the back of their jersey.

centralmtfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by centralmtfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:46 am

I think something like this is a nice idea, just one little problem, In football the tribute is bestowed on a Montana native, and basketball doesn’t believe in scholarshiping MT kids. MT kids have to pay to play. and then they sit the bench and be satisfied or quit.

A lot of people don’t realize that football can offer partial scholarships and basketball is either full ride or walk on.

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 am

RickRund wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:19 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 pm
rfischer94 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:51 pm
Use the number 29 in honor of the team that really put MSU basketball on the map, the 1929 National Champion Golden Bobcats. And give it to a senior, no matter where they are from.
Except 29 isn't a permissible jersey number in college basketball. Bummer.
It is now, they changed the rules last year so anything from 0-99 is now legal.
Thanks for that info. I just learned something new today.
I didn't know that either! Thank you!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 pm

centralmtfan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:46 am
I think something like this is a nice idea, just one little problem, In football the tribute is bestowed on a Montana native, and basketball doesn’t believe in scholarshiping MT kids. MT kids have to pay to play. and then they sit the bench and be satisfied or quit.

A lot of people don’t realize that football can offer partial scholarships and basketball is either full ride or walk on.
The more I think about it the more I agree with you, the 41 tradition wouldn't be as meaningful if there were only one or two players eligible to wear it - who might be walk-ons that only play in garbage time. It would be cool if a Montana player chose to wear #41, but it shouldn't be something that the one Montana player on a basketball roster is forced or pressured into doing.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 pm
centralmtfan wrote:

The more I think about it the more I agree with you, the 41 tradition wouldn't be as meaningful if there were only one or two players eligible to wear it - who might be walk-ons that only play in garbage time. It would be cool if a Montana player chose to wear #41, but it shouldn't be something that the one Montana player on a basketball roster is forced or pressured into doing.
are there even any montana kids on the roster?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 pm
centralmtfan wrote:

are there even any montana kids on the roster?
The men don't have any scholarship players from Montana, just Carter Ash and Royce Robinson as walk-ons.

centralmtfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by centralmtfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm

Some states, I believe Utah is one of them have a law requiring teams that funded by the state to maintain a certain percentage of in state players on scholarship. I honestly think for MT this is a good idea. I understand the win at all costs mentality, but if it put one or two recognizable names on the team, fans would appreciate it and kids would get an opportunity.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am
It's a no for me, but I would like to see the players' names on the back of their jersey.
:goodpost:

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:24 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am
:goodpost:
Names on jerseys in football too!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:11 am

centralmtfan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm
Some states, I believe Utah is one of them have a law requiring teams that funded by the state to maintain a certain percentage of in state players on scholarship. I honestly think for MT this is a good idea. I understand the win at all costs mentality, but if it put one or two recognizable names on the team, fans would appreciate it and kids would get an opportunity.
No. So affirmative action for Montanans is what you're getting at?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:38 pm

centralmtfan wrote:
I don’t think electing to have the best players on scholarship is what I would call win at all costs.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:55 pm

centralmtfan wrote:
I assume Utah has more players deserving of a scholarship. If we had to give a player a scholarship to get him to sign I'm sure we would. It's not that we don't give MT kids scholarships, it's that we don't have to. I doubt we've ever had a season without a couple guys on the team.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!