Miles in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Miles in portal

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:24 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Miles in portal

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:27 pm

Well darn. I was anxious to see what Jaqari would bring to the team this season. I wish him all the best.
Last edited by imacat on Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:28 pm

Overall, I feel like he had a pretty good career here!

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

FTG- GO CATS GO!

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:48 pm

Wish we could have seen his potential this upcoming year. What a crazy world we, and they, get to live in now..

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:50 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:28 pm

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…
I really REALLY hate to fault a kid for doing what he thinks is right for himself but this is BS!!! :lol:

Wonder why we seem to have such a hard time hanging on to guards lately. Especially when they will probably see playing time the following year.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:46 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:50 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…
I really REALLY hate to fault a kid for doing what he thinks is right for himself but this is BS!!! :lol:

Wonder why we seem to have such a hard time hanging on to guards lately. Especially when they will probably see playing time the following year.
Potent shooter which is what we need. Was he injured or did they just decide to redshirt him? Was he told he was still a year away and they were bringing in a transfer that would take his time? Hard to see someone who sat move to a higher co ference, but maybe somewhere else that had pursued him out of high school. Was he a Sprinkle recruit that stayed committed to MSU when Logie was hired?

Sports is not bigger than life

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:28 pm

technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

I don’t know. Even regular college kids (non-athletes) so far from home have a hard adjusting and want to go home. Dont know the particulars so I will wish him the best at his next stop.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:39 pm

He leaves as one of the best points per minute players in Bobcat history.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:39 am

technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

The landscape of college basketball is experiencing a whirlwind thanks to the portal. Top-tier teams are finding it challenging to retain their key players. It's hard to envision how this trend will benefit the sport in the long term.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:50 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:39 am
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

The landscape of college basketball is experiencing a whirlwind thanks to the portal. Top-tier teams are finding it challenging to retain their key players. It's hard to envision how this trend will benefit the sport in the long term.
Gone are the days when a student arrived on campus, had to work hard and bide his time, earn a spot into the rotation, etc. Yes, there were always exceptions when a freshman was truly exceptional and played all four years. But the model was work hard, grow and improve, earn your spot. Nothing was given.

Now, it's all about instant gratification. Gotta be playing right now. Gotta be the star right now. Part of me gets it - your time on campus is short and you want to make the most of it. So sure, make the move that gives you the best opportunity. But a lot of the real world don't work that way. You may not be the chosen one; you may not even be special. Or at least until you prove it. I think a lot of these young men and women are missing out on a valuable lesson that working your way onto the field/court provides.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:50 am
The Butcher wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

Gone are the days when a student arrived on campus, had to work hard and bide his time, earn a spot into the rotation, etc. Yes, there were always exceptions when a freshman was truly exceptional and played all four years. But the model was work hard, grow and improve, earn your spot. Nothing was given.

Now, it's all about instant gratification. Gotta be playing right now. Gotta be the star right now. Part of me gets it - your time on campus is short and you want to make the most of it. So sure, make the move that gives you the best opportunity. But a lot of the real world don't work that way. You may not be the chosen one; you may not even be special. Or at least until you prove it. I think a lot of these young men and women are missing out on a valuable lesson that working your way onto the field/court provides.
And all the old time athletes had to walk 7 miles uphill in the snow to school every day. :lol:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

And all the old time athletes had to walk 7 miles uphill in the snow to school every day. :lol:

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

-go be great!
-gods plan!
-always a cat!

Etc, etc…

Into the wind, both ways. Concerning the adjustment to living / learning / playing far from home — there is a reason Freshmen were not eligible for varsity play back in the “good old days.”

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm

I mean it's not brand new that we built a roster on transfers. Huse did it alot.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:16 am

I think they ought to form another division of NCAA Division I basketball and base it on money available to the institution to fund NIL.
Maybe the cut off point would be the ? million dollar mark. Anyone above is the power 4. Anyone below is the mid major division and has their own championship. If they go above a certain total offered to players as NIL they have a year or two to drop under the total and stay in their conference or apply for membership to a power 4 conference. The cut off should be re-visited every few years to keep schools from artificially keeping just below the cap.

2024 Resume dominance

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:07 pm

lutecat wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm
I mean it's not brand new that we built a roster on transfers. Huse did it alot.
Ah, those were the days...

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:40 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:16 am
I think they ought to form another division of NCAA Division I basketball and base it on money available to the institution to fund NIL.
Maybe the cut off point would be the ? million dollar mark. Anyone above is the power 4. Anyone below is the mid major division and has their own championship. If they go above a certain total offered to players as NIL they have a year or two to drop under the total and stay in their conference or apply for membership to a power 4 conference. The cut off should be re-visited every few years to keep schools from artificially keeping just below the cap.
You are basically designing an FBS/FCS situation for basketball. Less costly, separate tournaments. The second tier tournament would pretty well head for under the radar — but beyond that, I like it, and it may have to come to that. Or else the whole thing just implodes from its own mass (mess?) and I fear that’s a possible outcome, too.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:16 am
I guess one option is they could make the NIT the mid-major tournament. Then again, part of the the fun of March Madness is looking for upsets

I was hoping the NCAA would look at what is happening and try and put the genie back I the bottle, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Big Sky and our peer conferences are going to be recruiting grounds for the big schools, and every year will involve replacing your best players who left via the portal with other players from the portal.

You used to get excited when your team had some good young talent because your future was bright. Now that means you you’ll have more players to replace because those young talented players are going to hit the portal.

Anywho…..I hate what they’ve done to college sports. I started watching it more a few years ago because it wasn’t all about the money. Now, it’s starting to be all about the money.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:59 am

Guys gettin in the portal before the NCAA changes the rules to limit the number of times a player can enter the portal, and the time of year.
It's going to get better but this will be a constant routine until the NCAA pulls their head out.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.