WBB 24-25 thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

WBB 24-25 thoughts

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:57 am

After spending considerable time searching for the appropriate thread to post this in, I found that while there were a few possibilities, none seemed quite suitable without potentially hijacking the topic. Thus, I've chosen just to create a new thread, who would have guessed, about the outlook and recruiting prospects for the 2024-25 Women’s basketball season.

Over the past few weeks, we've seen notable player movements and decisions within the women’s basketball program, significantly shaping the outlook for the upcoming season. Recently, it was announced that starters Katelynn Limardo, Lexi Deden, and Taylor Janssen have opted to utilize their extra year of eligibility due to Covid and will return to the program for another season. Conversely, sophomore guard Maddie Olson and freshman Malea Egan have decided to transfer out. With Madison Hall exhausting her eligibility, this leaves three vacant roster spots for next year's team. These spots have already been filled by the signings of G Taylee Chirrick, G/F Teagan Erickson, and F Addison Harris last November, ensuring that all 15 roster spots for the 24-25 season should be filled.

Although Binford's 2024 recruiting class may not be her largest, it is arguably one of her most impressive. All three incoming Bobcats turned down offers from mid to high major D1 schools to sign with the Bobcats. While playing time could be an issue, given that the Bobcats will only lose one player (Hall) from their top 7-8 rotation, I believe they have the potential to make a significant impact this upcoming season.

There remains a possibility of further roster adjustments before the finalization of the 24-25 roster. Additional transfers or retirements could open up one or two roster spots, although I won't speculate on specific names. Furthermore, it's uncertain if Binford has concluded her 24 recruiting efforts. Rumors suggest that the Bobcats are on the shortlist of one or two D1 transfer players, with one name that could have a huge impact.

Once again, I believe Binford and her coaching staff have positioned themselves well to contend for the top spot in the Big Sky Conference next season. However, in the current landscape of the transfer portal, nothing is certain until all the comings and goings have played out over the next couple of months. Nonetheless, the upcoming year holds the promise of being an exciting one for the Bobcat Women's basketball team.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB 24-25 thoughts

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:09 am

I heard about Limardo but haven't heard anything from Jansenn.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:18 am

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:15 pm

That’s really great news!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 pm

I agree! I'm excited for the next season too.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:01 pm

Going to be a great team next year, I love the mix of young talent with the veteran leadership that Lexi, KJ, and Taylor will bring to the table.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:01 pm
Going to be a great team next year, I love the mix of young talent with the veteran leadership that Lexi, KJ, and Taylor will bring to the table.
And let's not forget, I think I remember reading that Maddy Jacks was going to be a grad assistant until she decided to come back and play. So one would assume she'll be that this coming year. So we'll maintain her leadership as well.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:03 pm

I love it that Taylor is coming back! Adds value to the return of KJ and Lexi’s return from injury. Coach Bin really hit the jackpot with that recruiting class. The band is mostly back together again with another player who has become a real favorite. Taylor has gotten measurably better every year, so I’m excited to see how high she can set the bar this year. I hope she is working on her sweet short-corner jumper, and her 10-15 foot bank shots and turnarounds. She is so tall and long and with the excellent high release, she would be very hard to stop on bank shots with their higher trajectory. That could be a close-game money shot. Of course she packs a deadly three-pointer just to give defenders some additional anxiety. It seems that with some increased aggressiveness in looking for her shot that there isn’t anything standing in the way of Taylor becoming an elite scorer. As Joe Cravens says, “put the Brown Thing in the Round Thing” — repeatedly. Welcome back, Taylor!

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:53 pm

As long as we don't get smacked by the injury bear again this year, the ladies will have a formidable team in the Big Sky. And since we really only have 1 senior (Lindsey Hein) this works out perfectly to get the roster back to a balanced roster of Seniors through Freshman. Hopefully that will add to continuity (as much as the portal allows) and continued strong leadership from players learning and growing over time.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:51 pm

CatRowdy wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:53 pm
As long as we don't get smacked by the injury bear again this year, the ladies will have a formidable team in the Big Sky. And since we really only have 1 senior (Lindsey Hein) this works out perfectly to get the roster back to a balanced roster of Seniors through Freshman. Hopefully that will add to continuity (as much as the portal allows) and continued strong leadership from players learning and growing over time.
Lindsey Hein was a Redshirt Sophomore this year. She has at least two years left to play if she wants them and injuries don’t keep knocking her down. In fact if they gave her a medical redshirt for this year (and I don’t know that they did) she would have three left to play.

I think you meant Lexi Deden as the only senior. And technically Lexi has two years left if she wants em. She has her medical redshirt from this year and still has her Covid year if she elects to stay that long. On K-SKY radio this morning Coach Bin indicated Lexi is currently looking at two years….they were kidding her she would be a Super Senior Grandma by the time she was done….a good natured jest. Will see as next season closes.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:51 pm
CatRowdy wrote:
Lindsey Hein was a Redshirt Sophomore this year. She has at least two years left to play if she wants them and injuries don’t keep knocking her down. In fact if they gave her a medical redshirt for this year (and I don’t know that they did) she would have three left to play.

I think you meant Lexi Deden as the only senior. And technically Lexi has two years left if she wants em. She has her medical redshirt from this year and still has her Covid year if she elects to stay that long. On K-SKY radio this morning Coach Bin indicated Lexi is currently looking at two years….they were kidding her she would be a Super Senior Grandma by the time she was done….a good natured jest. Will see as next season closes.
What I meant was actual time in the program. LIndsey has been in the program three years and hence will be a 'senior' spending four years in the program. I fully appreciate playing eligibility is all over the map. My post was directed more to the succession of leadership and experience on the team and within the program. The program had a gap in 3 becoming 4 year teammates and KJ, Taylor and Lexi help solve it.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:58 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 am
BobcatDel wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:

What I meant was actual time in the program. LIndsey has been in the program three years and hence will be a 'senior' spending four years in the program. I fully appreciate playing eligibility is all over the map. My post was directed more to the succession of leadership and experience on the team and within the program. The program had a gap in 3 becoming 4 year teammates and KJ, Taylor and Lexi help solve it.
Yep. I wholeheartedly agree that Lexi, KJ and Taylor fill a sorely needed leadership gap. Will be interesting to see next fall as we start practices and new season starts where new leadership might emerge. Might come from surprising places.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:49 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:58 am
CatRowdy wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 am
BobcatDel wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:

Yep. I wholeheartedly agree that Lexi, KJ and Taylor fill a sorely needed leadership gap. Will be interesting to see next fall as we start practices and new season starts where new leadership might emerge. Might come from surprising places.
I would certainly argue that our recruiting hasn't slipped and our recruits come with leadership skills and qualities; as they mature in the program they provide more and more. That said, it doesn't mean freshman don't bring leadership to the team and certainly within their class and likely within their position group.