Cats vs Grambling

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Cats vs Grambling

Post by kmax » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:12 pm

May as well get this thread started right now. Wednesday night in Dayton. Cat open up as 4.5 point favorites according to Draftkings.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats vs Grambling

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:31 pm

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:46 pm

Grambling is 20-14, they went 0-10 in non-conference play against D-1 opponents but none of those were home games and they had the #4 non-conference strength of schedule in the country. The SWAC is rated dead last of all 32 conferences, so the level of competition they faced in conference play is substantially lower than what MSU was up against. Former Bobcat Nick Gazelas played for Prairie View A&M this year, who Grambling swept in conference play. I think this is a pretty good matchup for MSU, I watched most of Grambling's semifinal and championship games in their conference tournament and thought they were definitely a level below pretty much all of the Big Sky teams except maybe Idaho. Anything can happen though, looking forward to it!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:47 pm

kmax wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:12 pm
May as well get this thread started right now. Wednesday night in Dayton. Cat open up as 4.5 point favorites according to Draftkings.

So how does the first four play into a couple things.

1) does that count as a tournament win for coach bonus payouts.

2) does a win also count as additional payout from the tournament or does it have be in the round of 64?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:08 pm

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:17 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:47 pm
kmax wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:12 pm

So how does the first four play into a couple things.

1) does that count as a tournament win for coach bonus payouts.

2) does a win also count as additional payout from the tournament or does it have be in the round of 64?
I understand it counts as both,

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:46 pm

Just saw they set the time, so slight correction to my original post for those around here more like Wednesday afternoon as it will be a 4:40 pm MDT start time for the Cat game.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:48 pm

kmax wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:46 pm
Just saw they set the time, so slight correction to my original post for those around here more like Wednesday afternoon as it will be a 4:40 pm MDT start time for the Cat game.
And now begins my annual quest to remember where the hell truTV is on my cable guide.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:51 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:48 pm
kmax wrote:
And now begins my annual quest to remember where the hell truTV is on my cable guide.
The nice thing about streaming services, search! I just went into my youtube tv app and had to search to make sure it was included. :lol:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:09 pm

When's the last time we played a SWAC team? I know we have many times in years past, but I'm pretty sure it's been a while. Whatever the challenge, I'm sure coach will have them ready.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:21 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:09 pm
When's the last time we played a SWAC team? I know we have many times in years past, but I'm pretty sure it's been a while. Whatever the challenge, I'm sure coach will have them ready.
November 30, 2007. MSU beat Alcorn State 83-57 in Bozeman. For some names from the past, MSU's starting lineup in that game was Casey Durham, Mecklen Davis, Carlos Taylor, Adrian Zamora, and Divaldo Mbunga. I totally remembered that and didn't need to check old schedules to look it up.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:21 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
November 30, 2007. MSU beat Alcorn State 83-57 in Bozeman. For some names from the past, MSU's starting lineup in that game was Casey Durham, Mecklen Davis, Carlos Taylor, Adrian Zamora, and Divaldo Mbunga. I totally remembered that and didn't need to check old schedules to look it up.
No problems with your long term memory, that is for darn sure.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:35 pm

MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Nice work! I think I remember that game too. If I recall it was close at halftime and we ran away in the 2nd half. I remember playing Texas Southern one year-probably back in the Durham era.

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:25 pm

MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Love this! :lol:

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:46 pm
Grambling is 20-14, they went 0-10 in non-conference play against D-1 opponents but none of those were home games and they had the #4 non-conference strength of schedule in the country. The SWAC is rated dead last of all 32 conferences, so the level of competition they faced in conference play is substantially lower than what MSU was up against. Former Bobcat Nick Gazelas played for Prairie View A&M this year, who Grambling swept in conference play. I think this is a pretty good matchup for MSU, I watched most of Grambling's semifinal and championship games in their conference tournament and thought they were definitely a level below pretty much all of the Big Sky teams except maybe Idaho. Anything can happen though, looking forward to it!
I watched part of the SWAC championship last night with my wife. We turned it off real quick, mostly because the camera work was TRASH. (Next time you want to complain about Montana PBS, watch a SWAC basketball game.) MSU can definitely beat Grambling. Very sloppy with the basketball.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:19 pm

MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I recognize four of those names!

Durham, Taylor and Mbunga I remember pretty well

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:56 pm

Just watching a little bit of the SWAC Championship game right now. Grambling jacks a lot of threes and they were hot early anyway. No. 11, Smith is a long lefty forward who looks really good to me. Looking inside, I think Brandon Walker might have a really big game against their post. They do look scrappy.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 am

kmax wrote:
Ok. Have to go to Idaho for work Wednesday. So note to self. Get there before 3pm Idaho time.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 am

rfischer94 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:46 pm
I watched part of the SWAC championship last night with my wife. We turned it off real quick, mostly because the camera work was TRASH. (Next time you want to complain about Montana PBS, watch a SWAC basketball game.) MSU can definitely beat Grambling. Very sloppy with the basketball.
I felt the same way. Both teams kind of just running around with no set plays it looks like. Dribble around and just throw up rushed shots it felt like.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:05 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:19 pm
MSU01 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I recognize four of those names!

Durham, Taylor and Mbunga I remember pretty well
I remember Durham, but I don't remember why I came in here. My earliest Bobcat Basketball name I remember would be Leroyyyyyyy Moranoooooooooooooo. Go Cats!!!