Cats vs Grambling

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Cats vs Grambling

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm

Watching Nevada blow a 17 point lead with about 7 minutes to go makes me feel a bit better about last night. Just seems like so many teams tighten up and get away from what got them the lead when a few shots fall for the other team. I guess it’s what makes the tournament fun!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:00 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm
Watching Nevada blow a 17 point lead with about 7 minutes to go makes me feel a bit better about last night. Just seems like so many teams tighten up and get away from what got them the lead when a few shots fall for the other team. I guess it’s what makes the tournament fun!
Basketball is a game of runs, always has been and always will be! MSU was only playing last night because they came back from 12 down against Weber and 11 down against UM at the same point in the game that they led Grambling by 14 last night.

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 pm

Not super knowledgeable about basketball but it amazes me how quickly a lead can evaporate. I feel bad they lost but still proud of them ! Wanted the win for them. They are still conference champions and got the experience of playing a March Madness game.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm
Ironic or Wiccan voodoo ??

1. We played at Dayton's home court. They lost to Dayton the team
2. MSU's ties to Nevada (via Choate)

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 pm

Really surprised that I have yet to see anyone say anything about the Cats last possession in regulation. If Walker hadn't been so hell bent on scoring over that double team of two taller players, he could have passed it to Patterson for a wide open 3 point attempt. Fully realize he had a bad second half from behind the arc, but he was open! Would have been a much better shot than the wild attempt that Walker put up. Wasn't anywhere close to the rim...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 pm
Really surprised that I have yet to see anyone say anything about the Cats last possession in regulation. If Walker hadn't been so hell bent on scoring over that double team of two taller players, he could have passed it to Patterson for a wide open 3 point attempt. Fully realize he had a bad second half from behind the arc, but he was open! Would have been a much better shot than the wild attempt that Walker put up. Wasn't anywhere close to the rim...
Goosfraba

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:31 am

grizzh8r wrote:
I actually liked the play to Walker, and the shot. He's been pretty high percentage on those, and good likelihood he gets fouled. If he misses (obviously he did), rebound is close to the basket and Grambling has to take time-out to reset. If he makes it, they still have to go length of the floor. Obviously the threes were falling in the first half, but not as much in the second, and if they got a long rebound going the other way, might have given them a quick layup/foul and changed things.
Neither route was automatic, and obviously the route taken didnt' work, but I didn't mind it.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 am

4KornerKat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:31 am
grizzh8r wrote:
I actually liked the play to Walker, and the shot. He's been pretty high percentage on those, and good likelihood he gets fouled. If he misses (obviously he did), rebound is close to the basket and Grambling has to take time-out to reset. If he makes it, they still have to go length of the floor. Obviously the threes were falling in the first half, but not as much in the second, and if they got a long rebound going the other way, might have given them a quick layup/foul and changed things.
Neither route was automatic, and obviously the route taken didnt' work, but I didn't mind it.
Hindsight is 20/20 and Grambling did a great job on the double team.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:00 am

Bocephus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 am
4KornerKat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
More of a triple team. Biggest area he can improve in. Sometimes you have to kick out and reset back into post or get the open look outside. That play didn't have enough time for that but in general it will improve his overall game.

Sports is not bigger than life

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:11 am

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:00 am
Bocephus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 am
4KornerKat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
More of a triple team. Biggest area he can improve in. Sometimes you have to kick out and reset back into post or get the open look outside. That play didn't have enough time for that but in general it will improve his overall game.
Yes! This was my point. And I completely disagree that there wasn't enough time for a kick out. Not enough time for another post entry, but plenty of time for a less contested shot, by arguably the best pure shooter on the team. Let's just put it this way... Had Big John been in the same situation, that would have been a pass. For B Walk to take the next step to becoming a better PF, he's going to have to learn when to pass the ball to the open man. He's got tunnel vision at this point, hopefully Logie and crew can correct this deficiency in the off-season.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:20 am

I'm not sure if the kickout pass to Patterson was quite as open as it may have seemed at first. Watching the replay a few times it appeared to me that Walker made a move to pass, but #12 for Grambling put his left hand out to potentially block the passing lane. At that point Walker makes the move to the basket. It was a pretty good look in the end, just didn't go in and the defenders did a nice job of not fouling. That's really all you can ask for in a situation like that.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:51 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:06 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:19 pm
We lost the exact same way we've been winning in March. Ironic.
From a comeback standpoint yes, but a lot of what happened was Ford getting third foul and sitting and we committed turnovers (he had a couple when back in but damage was done), then getting 4th and Grambling attacked him time after time. It wasn't that Grambling started drawing a bunch of shots. First half we went up 9 back to tied back to up 11. So second half similar. Smaller run they came back we just didn't respond as well. Still had last shot to win.
Assuming you're talking end of regulation, and Grambling had the last shot to win but they missed it. Maybe that's what you were saying.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:02 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:11 am
Had Big John been in the same situation, that would have been a pass.
Well yes, but Walker has a better post game than Olmsted

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:08 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:02 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:11 am
Had Big John been in the same situation, that would have been a pass.
Well yes, but Walker has a better post game than Olmsted
And if Walker didn’t go 0-3 from the stripe, Cats are probably playing Purdue today. We could go round and round here. What if they hit 1 more 3, if Rob doesn’t pick up 2 soft fouls early, if someone hits 1 more 3, if they don’t give up 5 O-boards in the last 5 minutes and OT, if they don’t give up 23 points off 12 turnovers, if Walker had made the layup.

Regardless of what happened or how it happened Wednesday, that shouldn’t take anything from what this team has accomplished this season. By all marks this season was an incredible success. Shoot, getting the 5 seed in the conference tournament after being picked to finish 7th should be talked about more. What Coach Logie, and more importantly the players who choose to stay, have done this season is a positive sign for things to come.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:25 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 pm
Not super knowledgeable about basketball but it amazes me how quickly a lead can evaporate. I feel bad they lost but still proud of them ! Wanted the win for them. They are still conference champions and got the experience of playing a March Madness game.
Get to hang another banner :D :D

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:25 pm
RICO CAT wrote:
Yep, I'll take a disappointing NCAA Tournament loss any day over meekly going out of the conference tournament in the first game every year like MSU was doing for the two decades before Danny Sprinkle showed back up on campus.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
RICO CAT wrote:
Yep, I'll take a disappointing NCAA Tournament loss any day over meekly going out of the conference tournament in the first game every year like MSU was doing for the two decades before Danny Sprinkle showed back up on campus.
Amen to that

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:39 pm

3 years in a row into the March Madness event -- regardless of the 3 losses, there's no downside for our program. As others have said, there was a LONG dry spell and these past few seasons have done nothing but good things for the MSU basketball brand.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:15 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
RICO CAT wrote:
Amen to that
Absolutely, this team showed grit this season.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:58 am

grizzh8r wrote:
As I saw it, Goracke took the ball out, threw it in to Walker who turned and did his pivot thing. As he was starting his pivot...Goracke was wide open for the 3 at a 45 degree angle to the basket. He could have thrown a backhanded drop pass right to Goracke in rhythm.

Patterson was in the corner where he missed about 4 shots on the night. Patterson shoots better (for him) from out in the middle where Goracke was...but the other night Goracke was feeling it! I think we're playing Purdue if he could have done that.

2024 Resume dominance