Bracketology

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Bracketology

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am

As of this morning, ESPN has us as the #15 seed in the West, with a first game matchup against Arizona:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Camo_Cat

Re: Bracketology

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:28 am

I like this thinking. Even though we had a tough season, are the unlikely conference champs at the #5 seed, and we're coming in with a 17-17 record, the fact that this is our third straight Big Dance appearance has to mean something. We're getting some name recognition with the voters, and I could see us getting into the Dance without going thru the play-in game.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:37 am

Not having a play-in game and getting an entire week to heal up would be nice. As lights out as they were last night they are really beat up.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:44 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am
As of this morning, ESPN has us as the #15 seed in the West, with a first game matchup against Arizona:

And take a look at the 7 seed should the Cats pull off the upset. hmmmmmmmm

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:47 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:44 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am

And take a look at the 7 seed should the Cats pull off the upset. hmmmmmmmm
Oh wow - wouldn't that be something!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:53 am

I would love to play Utah State. I think Arizona is one of the most overrated top seeds as well. Not saying we could or would win that game, but of the potential 2 seeds, they are the most beatable.

Cats and Dogs
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats and Dogs » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:05 am

Typically I think the play in games are reserved for the lowest 4 rated "at large teams" ! Cats should be seeded in the 64, probably 15 or 16 with their resume. But who cares, they're dancing for the 3rd year in a row and we get to hear Montana State University represented on Selection Sunday!!
Go Cats!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:07 am

Cats and Dogs wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:05 am
Typically I think the play in games are reserved for the lowest 4 rated "at large teams" ! Cats should be seeded in the 64, probably 15 or 16 with their resume. But who cares, they're dancing for the 3rd year in a row and we get to hear Montana State University represented on Selection Sunday!!
Go Cats!
That's the way I thought it worked. If you're a tournament champion and representative, you should be seeded and exempt from the play-in games.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:08 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... ccdc&ei=24

This has MSU as a 16 vs Houston. Basically the last team in who isn't in a Tuesday/Wednesday game.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:11 am

It will depend on how the other one-bid leagues shake out. If there are other upsets we may move up. If we're the only upset we're probably going to Dayton, which I'd be okay with as long as we can get healthy.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:24 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:07 am
Cats and Dogs wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:05 am
Go Cats!
That's the way I thought it worked. If you're a tournament champion and representative, you should be seeded and exempt from the play-in games.
There are two types of first 4 games, each with 4 teams/2 games. First is two 16 v 16 matchups which are usually reserved for low major conference winners or surprise/low-seed winners of mid-majors (i.e. MSU). The other two matchups are 11 v 11 matchups that are reserved for the last 4 at large bid teams that make the field.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 am

I don’t think everything is based on NET….given that NEW Mexico State University is ranked 25, and right now they are considered one of the first teams out. The Big Sky is ranked the 22nd out of 33 Conferences, so I’m guessing that will keep up out of Dayton. I love the ESPN bracket….but I don’t understand why we are a 15 seed and SDSU is 16….especially since they beat us. I also don’t understand how Wisconsin has lost 8 of 11 and the bracketologists only dropped them from 5-6. Finally, I don’t understand why bracketologists have Danny and Utah State a 7 seed, and SDSU and Nevada are 5 seeds. I know there will never be a perfect way to seed teams….but some of this defies logic.

I think there is a shot we get 15 depending on how the other tournaments shake out. A play in game might be to our advantage because wed have a pretty good chance at a win,

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am

You have to think recent games factor in pretty heavily. 17-17 is not good for a tournament team, but 5-1 in the last six with the only loss in OT on the road against the regular season champs looks decent. And as bad as the BSC is, there are definitely worse conferences that get bids. I'm happy with whatever happens, because it's all gravy this year. But I'd rather let them have another day or two to rest, even if it sets them up for a much tougher game.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:34 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am
You have to think recent games factor in pretty heavily. 17-17 is not good for a tournament team, but 5-1 in the last six with the only loss in OT on the road against the regular season champs looks decent. And as bad as the BSC is, there are definitely worse conferences that get bids. I'm happy with whatever happens, because it's all gravy this year. But I'd rather let them have another day or two to rest, even if it sets them up for a much tougher game.
Yep - even though a play-in game gives us our best chance for a tournament win, I am not sure our guys are gonna be ready physically. Aside from the clear injuries to Olmsted, Goracke, and Ford, it is just physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting playing your rival, especially in a championship game for all the marbles. Our guys could use the extra couple days...

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:34 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am
Yep - even though a play-in game gives us our best chance for a tournament win, I am not sure our guys are gonna be ready physically. Aside from the clear injuries to Olmsted, Goracke, and Ford, it is just physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting playing your rival, especially in a championship game for all the marbles. Our guys could use the extra couple days...
I guess that's the advantage of an early tournament...now they can rest until Sunday. But it's not all rest that's needed--might be healing too. And honestly, winning a 16 vs 16 game--I wonder if that really FEELS like a tournament win. I think for this team, this season, it would. But it would be an asterisk win for sure.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 am

I just like that for the third year in a row we get to discuss where we'll land in the bracket!

I also look forward to the griz fans next week saying how we embarrassed the conference when we lose to a 1-2 seed..... :lol:

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:57 am

The Athletic bracketology as of this morning has MSU as the 64th team in the bracket. In other words the last team to make the main field and avoid the first 4 games. Would put them playing Purdue in Indy in the first round.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:07 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 am
I just like that for the third year in a row we get to discuss where we'll land in the bracket!

I also look forward to the griz fans next week saying how we embarrassed the conference when we lose to a 1-2 seed..... :lol:
Ha. Well, last night, the gris embarrassed the state for the second time in about 2 months. Fortunately, the state’s second gris-provided embarrassment was accompanied by a partial restoration, courtesy of the Cats.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 pm

Yeah I think the play in game is for those who don’t have a slot as tournament champs. If we manage to win it will be time to make another “Hoosiers “ movie

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:18 pm

aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 pm
Yeah I think the play in game is for those who don’t have a slot as tournament champs. If we manage to win it will be time to make another “Hoosiers “ movie
Not correct, see my earlier post in this thread. The two 16 v 16 games are always the lowest four auto qualifiers from low/mid major conferences.