Bracketology

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bracketology

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:22 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:18 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 pm
Yeah I think the play in game is for those who don’t have a slot as tournament champs. If we manage to win it will be time to make another “Hoosiers “ movie
Not correct, see my earlier post in this thread. The two 16 v 16 games are always the lowest four auto qualifiers from low/mid major conferences.
Yep. Straight from the NCAA website:

When selecting the teams for the NCAA tournament, the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee ranks every team from No. 1 through No. 68. In its current format, the First Four consists of eight teams — the four lowest-seeded automatic qualifiers and the four lowest-seeded at-large teams. Each subset plays against itself (i.e., at-large teams face at-large teams, and automatic qualifiers face automatic qualifiers)

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:25 pm

Cool site I found that accumulates all the different bracket predictions. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:29 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:25 pm
Cool site I found that accumulates all the different bracket predictions. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Wow, that's a lot of bracket predictions........................

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:14 pm

ECBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:07 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 am
I just like that for the third year in a row we get to discuss where we'll land in the bracket!

I also look forward to the griz fans next week saying how we embarrassed the conference when we lose to a 1-2 seed..... :lol:
Ha. Well, last night, the gris embarrassed the state for the second time in about 2 months. Fortunately, the state’s second gris-provided embarrassment was accompanied by a partial restoration, courtesy of the Cats.
Well, that's why Selection Sunday will be fun to watch. To see where we end up. It will be a great experience for the guys and
coaches no matter where we go.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:40 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:44 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am
As of this morning, ESPN has us as the #15 seed in the West, with a first game matchup against Arizona:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions
And take a look at the 7 seed should the Cats pull off the upset. hmmmmmmmm
I debated making a "We Want Utah State" meme last night after the win... :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:28 pm

If Cats are 16 play in game for West and win might get Tennessee and Dalton Knecht.

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:21 am

Lunardi currently has MSU playing Grambling in a play-in game with the winner playing Purdue.

Grambling is 18-14 overall and 282 in the Massey rankings. One of their most impressive games was a 68-56 loss to a good Drake team. They held Drake’s best player to just 3-17 (1-9 3s) shooting. Not sure if he just had a bad game or if Grambling has a good defensive, shutdown guy. Lost to a very good Wazzu by 18 in a game Dozier had 34 points off the bench. Those losses were part of a nine-game preseason losing streak in which they went 3-10 with the only wins against sub-D1 teams. They were 14-4 in conference games and beat Alcorn State in championship (looks like they just have the top two teams play for league autobid. They lost to them in 2OT just four days earlier.

MSU is ranked 233 in the Massey rankings after a 30 spot jump from winning the BSC tournament.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:38 am

Norfolk State is probably the projected First Four team that MSU would most like to avoid. They beat VCU on the road and South Dakota State by 19 on a neutral court. They're right next to MSU in the NET rankings with Grambling and Wagner significantly lower. Not sure how the Selection Committee decides which of the First Four teams to match up together.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:41 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:21 am
Lunardi currently has MSU playing Grambling in a play-in game with the winner playing Purdue.

Grambling is 18-14 overall and 282 in the Massey rankings. One of their most impressive games was a 68-56 loss to a good Drake team. They held Drake’s best player to just 3-17 (1-9 3s) shooting. Not sure if he just had a bad game or if Grambling has a good defensive, shutdown guy. Lost to a very good Wazzu by 18 in a game Dozier had 34 points off the bench. Those losses were part of a nine-game preseason losing streak in which they went 3-10 with the only wins against sub-D1 teams. They were 14-4 in conference games and beat Alcorn State in championship (looks like they just have the top two teams play for league autobid. They lost to them in 2OT just four days earlier.

MSU is ranked 233 in the Massey rankings after a 30 spot jump from winning the BSC tournament.
Grambling is still in its conference tournament. They beat Alabama State in the quarterfinal on Wednesday and play Bethune-Cookman today in the semis.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:44 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:41 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:21 am

Grambling is still in its conference tournament. They beat Alabama State in the quarterfinal on Wednesday and play Bethune-Cookman today in the semis.
Ooooh. I’ll, uh, just show myself out. 😩

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:08 am

I answered my own question on how the First Four matchups are determined. The two games are #65 vs #66 and #67 vs #68 on the overall seed list. Will be interesting to follow the MEAC and SWAC tournaments today and tomorrow to see who wins those and if there are upsets.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:04 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:08 am
I answered my own question on how the First Four matchups are determined. The two games are #65 vs #66 and #67 vs #68 on the overall seed list. Will be interesting to follow the MEAC and SWAC tournaments today and tomorrow to see who wins those and if there are upsets.
I'm trying to figure this out but to me it really looks like there isn't a scenario left that would move the Cats out of the play-in game? Most of the lower ranked conference tournaments are finished and those 2 conferences are already predicted be play-in games no matter the champion?

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:20 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:04 am
MSU01 wrote:
I'm trying to figure this out but to me it really looks like there isn't a scenario left that would move the Cats out of the play-in game? Most of the lower ranked conference tournaments are finished and those 2 conferences are already predicted be play-in games no matter the champion?
Sure seems like based on Net Ranking as of this morning, hard to see Cats missing the Play-In game. MSU - 209; Norfolk St -210; Stetson - 207; Wagner - 289; Grambling - 289. Without really any other info I think four lowest seeds are Grambling, Wagner, Norfolk St and MSU. Even if Grambling loses, the winner of the SWAC will be in the play-in game. Same with Norfolk State - Everyone is worse. Only question mark is if committee puts Stetson in first 4 rather than MSU. But sure seems at the bottom of the pile, the committee ONLY use Net ranking.

CHecked out going to Dayton. Nothing good about it. Basically have to fly in day before; spend $700 to $1,000 on ticket. spend two nights at hotel; miss three days of work. Even in my best scenario, I can't do that on 1 day's notice. bummer

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:23 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
You may be right, I'm not really up to speed on how it all works. I still don't know why 12 seeds have to do a play in game. All that said, my opinion is that I would strongly prefer a play in game if the other option is automatically getting the 16 seed so we at least have a glimmer of hope to get a win..... although the 16 over 1 has actually now happened twice, including last year. Can you imagine?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:27 am

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:33 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
I don’t think NET rankings are the only factor in determining seeds. Stetson is 207, and the Bobcats are 208. but the Big Sky is ranked 21 in the conference rankings, while the ASUN (Stetson’s conference) is 25.

Historically the Big Sky have always slid into the 14 seed, and there are a few times they’re slid to 15. I think there is a te
Ore chance the Bobcats get 15, but I have a hunch they’ll get one of the 16 seeds that isn’t a play-in game based on conference ranking and historical seeding.

Then again, a first four game would be nice in terms of National exposure in prime time, and a much more winnable game that would bring millions into the conference.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:37 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
It seems to me that there are currently five legitimate candidates to be in the First Four. Ranked in order from most likely to be a First Four team (in my judgment) to least likely, these are:

Wagner (16-15 Record, NET 289)
SWAC Champion - #1 seed is Grambling (18-14 Record, NET 288)
MSU (17-17 Record, NET 209)
MEAC Champion - #1 seed is Norfolk State (22-10 Record, NET 210)
Stetson (22-12 Record, NET 207)

My guess here would be that the First Four teams will very likely be Wagner, the SWAC champion, MSU, and either the MEAC champion or Stetson. Three of the teams including MSU are extremely close in the NET rankings but I think MSU will be hurt by its significantly worse overall record compared to Stetson and Norfolk State if they win the MEAC.

Aside from the MEAC and SWAC champions, the only two teams I could find who are still alive in their conference tournaments and could be in the First Four if they win are Middle Tennessee in Conference USA (14-18 record, NET 285) and Brown in the Ivy League (12-17 record, NET 192). If either of those teams win their tournament, then perhaps they would go into the First Four and MSU would have a better chance of being a non-First Four 16 seed.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:02 am

I still believe that given the Big Sky's conference ranking, and the fact that MSU is now becoming a perennial participant, the bracketeers will put MSU into the main tourney without being in one of the play-in games. Just a gut feeling....

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:54 am

Catprint wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:20 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Sure seems like based on Net Ranking as of this morning, hard to see Cats missing the Play-In game. MSU - 209; Norfolk St -210; Stetson - 207; Wagner - 289; Grambling - 289. Without really any other info I think four lowest seeds are Grambling, Wagner, Norfolk St and MSU. Even if Grambling loses, the winner of the SWAC will be in the play-in game. Same with Norfolk State - Everyone is worse. Only question mark is if committee puts Stetson in first 4 rather than MSU. But sure seems at the bottom of the pile, the committee ONLY use Net ranking.

CHecked out going to Dayton. Nothing good about it. Basically have to fly in day before; spend $700 to $1,000 on ticket. spend two nights at hotel; miss three days of work. Even in my best scenario, I can't do that on 1 day's notice. bummer
@Catprint check out flying into Cincinnati instead, it's probably much cheaper. It's a quick drive to Dayton. Cincy is a fun town. And if you go to Dayton, don't miss going to the Air Force Air and Space Museum, it's one of the best in the country. Truly amazing what they have packed into that place...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Au Blue

Post by Au Blue » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:58 am

Somebody pass the hat for Kent