The Legend of Robert Ford

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Legend of Robert Ford

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 am

We are talking about this on our slogging drive home from Boise.....

This is Year 18 for me covering the Big Sky Conference and that was the 14th tournament I've covered, plus the ninth straight neutral site tournament we've covered from start to finish.....

What Robert Ford III just did was the single best performance by a men's player we've ever covered and on the Mount Rushmore of performances we've seen, right along side Jeremy Senglin for Weber State, Ahmad Rorie for Montana and Geno Crandall for North Dakota. Ford just went bananas. I've truly never seen anything like it. Best defensive performance we've ever seen, period, no other nominees. Absolutely unreal.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:26 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 am

This is Year 18 for me covering the Big Sky Conference and that was the 14th tournament I've covered, plus the ninth straight neutral site tournament we've covered from start to finish.....

What Robert Ford III just did was the single best performance by a men's player we've ever covered and on the Mount Rushmore of performances we've seen, right along side Jeremy Senglin for Weber State, Ahmad Rorie for Montana and Geno Crandall for North Dakota. Ford just went bananas. I've truly never seen anything like it. Best defensive performance we've ever seen, period, no other nominees. Absolutely unreal.

Thanks for the great article on Ford, @Colter_Nuanez. RF3 cemented his legacy among Bobcat greats with his tournament performance. There aren't enough kudos.....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:28 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 am

I was discussing this with a co-worker this morning, we decided that Ford's performance was the best since Anthony Johnson's 42-point game in the 2010 championship where he erased a huge halftime lead for Weber basically on his own.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:01 pm

Robert Ford is a Legend that should be immortalized somewhere in the Brick. The passion, courage, strength was absolutely unreal and it lifted up everyone around him. I really hope he can keep this going in the tournament and gets some looks at the next level.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:22 pm

I have been watching Bobcat basketball for over 50 years and have numerous favorite players. But Robert Ford has surpassed any other of my favorites now. He has been such a pleasure to watch this whole year and his hustle and leadership just amazed me each and every game. In addition, he is such a nice and courteous young man off the court. I will now compare all future Bobcats to RF 3. Not sure anyone will ever get to the level of respect that I have for this special player!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm

Most everyone, including me, thinks that Logie has done a masterful job of coaching up the Cats this year. But his best coaching move of the season was one of his first when he convinced RF3 to stick around. This team would be totally different without him. I have not watched all the games this year but every game I have watched Ford has been a huge inspiration. I don't ever remember a player give 100% every moment he is in the game like he does. Truly, truly impressive!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:58 pm

I'd like to see an end-of-season banquet award get named after Rob.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:07 pm

If you want to thank Ford, grab some of his merch at the Bobcat Collective.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:12 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:07 pm
do you have a link to the store?

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:14 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:12 pm
AFCAT wrote:
https://thenilshop.co/montana-state/

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:15 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:14 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
TY!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:38 pm

saintcat40 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:50 am
I saw on the big sky conference website that Ford was tournament MVP. Also found the all tournament team:

Robert Ford III, MSU (MVP)
Brian Goracke, MSU
Aanen Moody, UM
Brandon Whitney, UM
Miguel Tomalley, ISU
Akol Mawein, SAC
Goracke surprises me. Big 1st game, good 2nd, but 3 in final and hurt most of 2nd half when Cats made the run.
I could see Olmstead because of impact on both ends, Turner had good tourney, Lecholot inconsistent scoring but rebounding and hustle was great.

Sports is not bigger than life

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:40 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:14 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1584/in ... 9&cid=6934

One can also join the 6th Man Club to support the entire team.

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:21 pm

@tetoncat I was also surprised about Goracke. Really strong first two games though, so… good for him.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:45 am

cat-o-nine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:16 am
I also don't recall as great of a team effort as we've seen in these past three games. Eddie Turner was great as was Olmstead and Lecholat, with big contributions by Walker, Patterson, Miller, & Goracke. But Ford just took these games over in the second half. He was one rebound short of a double-double.
Don’t forget Miller. He provided some excellent help off the bench in late-game situations. Every player on the court seemed to reach a new high. I think we’ve got a great coach. Talk about a team that was tournament-ready!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 pm

I don’t know what the criteria are to be in the MSU Hall of Fame. I’m sure we can go back in Bobcat history and find players who had one great season, maybe two, that were never considered. And no disrespect to Coach Logie, who did a masterful job in growing this team throughout the season and having them tournament-ready, as BC4E pointed out. But, do we honestly believe the Cats would have won 7 games, let alone 17, without Ford? He seriously needs to be considered for the HoF when the appropriate time has passed, even though he only spent two years with us, one of them as a part-timer.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 pm
I don’t know what the criteria are to be in the MSU Hall of Fame. I’m sure we can go back in Bobcat history and find players who had one great season, maybe two, that were never considered. And no disrespect to Coach Logie, who did a masterful job in growing this team throughout the season and having them tournament-ready, as BC4E pointed out. But, do we honestly believe the Cats would have won 7 games, let alone 17, without Ford? He seriously needs to be considered for the HoF when the appropriate time has passed, even though he only spent two years with us, one of them as a part-timer.
Off the top of my head, I know that Quadre Lollis is in the Hall of Fame and only played two seasons for the Bobcats. Ford is 100% deserving. I'm guessing they'll also induct the entire threepeat (and counting...) championship teams at some point down the line.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:39 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 pm
The thing that puts a Gold Star ⭐️ next to anyone’s name is — winning. Winning championships. Winning the tournament AND being the MVP — one year, two years, eight years. It doesn’t matter. Hall of Fame. Plus a Big Sky Defensive POY is the extra tick mark. Very few players have that trifecta in the same season. Did Belo do it? Anyone else? Tournament win, MVP, plus Big Sky POY (Overall, Defense, Offense) in the same year — ticket to the Hall of Fame.