Joe Cravens One-Liners Repository

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Re: Joe Cravens One-Liners Repository

Post by nevadacat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:19 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:52 am
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:23 am
I'll take Joe Cravens and his corny one-liners any day over Krista "Have I mentioned I used to play for the Lady Griz?" Redpath on the women's broadcast.
I don't understand why folks dislike Redpath so much. I don't hear her talk about her tone at Montana that often and she does good color commentary. I also think she's very honest about what each team is doing well and what they're not doing well. Am I missing something?
Was very disappointed today. We were playing the Redpath drinking game and she only referred to playing for the gris twice. Didn’t even get a good buzz, though I took a bonus chug when she referred to us as “Montana.”

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:25 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:19 pm
rfischer94 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
I'll take Joe Cravens and his corny one-liners any day over Krista "Have I mentioned I used to play for the Lady Griz?" Redpath on the women's broadcast.
I don't understand why folks dislike Redpath so much. I don't hear her talk about her tone at Montana that often and she does good color commentary. I also think she's very honest about what each team is doing well and what they're not doing well. Am I missing something?
Was very disappointed today. We were playing the Redpath drinking game and she only referred to playing for the gris twice. Didn’t even get a good buzz, though I took a bonus chug when she referred to us as “Montana.”
I heard that too. I thought when the P× P person called the Gris Montana State that there was a gas leak in the building. :lol:

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:22 pm

Won a beauty contest at a leper colony

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:24 pm

I think Joe had a few cold ones at halftime. I might need a few myself to watch this ugly game.

rfischer94

Post by rfischer94 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:42 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:19 pm
rfischer94 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Boy, once you see the Gris homerism, it's real hard to unsee it. I can't remember if it was Redpath or the PxP person, but one of them said at the end of the NAU/Gris game, "Well, it looks like NAU is going to win. And congratulations to Montana!" :-k ](*,) :?

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 pm

"Sacramento State has gone as cold as a mother-in-law's stare"

rfischer94

Post by rfischer94 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:59 pm

They've as gone as cold as a mother-in-law's stare.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:14 pm

"He's got arms from here to Hoboken."

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

rfischer94

Post by rfischer94 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:18 pm

He's as handy as a shirt pocket

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:26 pm

"As cool as the other side of your pillow."

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:31 pm

"He's as cool as the other side of your pillow."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:33 pm

He stole that one from Stuart Scott

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:13 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:17 am
I hope I’m not going out on a limb here when I say that I think Cravens “shtick” is corny and a little stale. I’ve watched enough games he’s called the last few years to hear him recycle all his “go-to’s” more than a few times. Every game it’s the same thing.
Not only that but I think his whole persona paints the BigSky in a bad light. Don’t get me wrong, he was a good basketball coach and probably deserves that spot on Weber’s broadcast, but do we really want him being the unofficial “voice” of the BigSky tournament? His commentary would fit in just fine if I was sitting next to him belly up to the bar in dusty west Texas town, not on a tv broadcast. Maybe I just want someone who presents themself a bit more professional (whatever that means).
I’m right there with you. He tries way too hard to be funny.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcatmaniac

Post by bobcatmaniac » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:18 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:13 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
I hope I’m not going out on a limb here when I say that I think Cravens “shtick” is corny and a little stale. I’ve watched enough games he’s called the last few years to hear him recycle all his “go-to’s” more than a few times. Every game it’s the same thing.
Not only that but I think his whole persona paints the BigSky in a bad light. Don’t get me wrong, he was a good basketball coach and probably deserves that spot on Weber’s broadcast, but do we really want him being the unofficial “voice” of the BigSky tournament? His commentary would fit in just fine if I was sitting next to him belly up to the bar in dusty west Texas town, not on a tv broadcast. Maybe I just want someone who presents themself a bit more professional (whatever that means).
He obviously doesn’t know his role. He talks through some of the plays and doesn’t let the play by play announcer do his job. Time to retire. He must be a griz fan because he sure quieted down late in the game.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:49 am

bobcatmaniac wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:18 am
Cledus wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:13 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
He obviously doesn’t know his role. He talks through some of the plays and doesn’t let the play by play announcer do his job. Time to retire. He must be a griz fan because he sure quieted down late in the game.
Probably just tired. 🥱

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:49 am

"he put the brown thing in the round thing"

That was a new one to me and also :shock: :shock: :shock:

I like Craven but I do agree, either he wasn't thrilled the laugher the game had turned into or he was wanting the gris to win. A little morose in the second half.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 am

MSU01 wrote:
Boy howdy... I'm with ya!

One new one I picked up that I haven't seen in the thread yet....

"Back when the Dead Sea was just sick"

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:02 am

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
His insights are spot-on though. Forget the one-liners and listen to the analyst next time.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:50 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:02 am
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
His insights are spot-on though. Forget the one-liners and listen to the analyst next time.
This!

He KNOWS the big sky well. Its not often we get on a national broadcast and the color guy knows more than what's been printed on his day sheet.

Watched a couple games last night on ESPN+ they were hard to listen to there wasn't any color or engagement.

I'll take Joe as long as he wants to continue

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:56 am

kcatz wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:50 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:02 am
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
This!

He KNOWS the big sky well. Its not often we get on a national broadcast and the color guy knows more than what's been printed on his day sheet.

Watched a couple games last night on ESPN+ they were hard to listen to there wasn't any color or engagement.

I'll take Joe as long as he wants to continue
Agreed. Give me Joe Cravens every day over some generic announcer flown in from LA or the east coast who knows nothing about the Big Sky or its teams, players, and coaches. Cravens is great as a color guy for similar reasons as Ty Gregorak, both play up the "wackiness" at times (SUNBURST, MONTANA BEN!) but at the same time are also highly knowledgeable and can provide meaningful insight.