WBB vs. Idaho State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

WBB vs. Idaho State

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:29 am

The conference season tips off tonight in Bozeman. This year’s team and its newfound up-tempo style of play has been fun to watch. No more standing around waiting for Darian to do something. The intensity & aggressiveness of the seniors has been especially great to see. Go Cats!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: WBB vs. Idaho State

Post by SACCAT » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:12 am

Should be a great game!! ISU and MSU have played 3 of the same teams, and ISUs Jordan is coming off a 22 point game VS BYU... Cats Defense has been tenacious.

TheJoeGoldstone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TheJoeGoldstone » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:33 pm

Cats plagued by 11 turnovers and cold shooting, but still lead by 2 in the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Blue & Gold for 51 yrs

rfischer94

Post by rfischer94 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:07 pm

What a finish! Cats go up 13, then give up a 10-0 run and see the Bengals tire it with less than a minute left. Hall hits the go-ahead jumper and secures the win by stealing the inbound pass with 0.7 left on the clock. Great win!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:14 pm

Cats were fortunate tonight, Bello for ISU hardly played in the first half due to foul trouble and the Cats were able to stay ahead despite poor shooting and waaaay too many turnovers. Much better in the second half but I felt like they lost their intensity after going up by 13. Clutch shot by Madison at the end, the Bobcats are incredibly fortunate she decided to return. Always fun to take down ISU in women's hoops!

bobcatfan15

Post by bobcatfan15 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:41 pm

Anyone know why ISU’s Aby isn’t in Blue and Gold? Given her familial ties that’s a little weird.

"The season is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"-Coach Green

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm

bobcatfan15 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:41 pm
Anyone know why ISU’s Aby isn’t in Blue and Gold? Given her familial ties that’s a little weird.
Not sure, but she isn't exactly lighting up the stat sheet for ISU so far.
Last edited by MSU01 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:52 pm

Crazy game of runs and droughts. Our seniors got us that 13 point lead in the 4th quarter. Then coach subbed out Janssen and Hall. She made that move too early. We lost all our mojo and ISU came storming back while we couldn't even get a good shot. I don't know how ISU was in it. We are taller and longer at every position except their center Bello yet ISU was able to muck us up inside all night. Sometimes our bigs get an offensive rebound and kick it back out instead of going back up with it where they'd probably score or get fouled. Hopefully the film convinces them that they need to be a little more selfish. It wouldn't be an ISU game if it wasn't weird. Madison Hall is just a pure stud that's all there is to it. Our youngsters had a hard time with ISU's style of play. Our seniors carried the day!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:56 pm

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:09 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:07 pm
What a finish! Cats go up 13, then give up a 10-0 run and see the Bengals tire it with less than a minute left. Hall hits the go-ahead jumper and secures the win by stealing the inbound pass with 0.7 left on the clock. Great win!
I am totally thrilled for Madison. It’s those moments that you play for, and she had two of them back-to-back tonight. She’ll remember the ending of that game always. Madison brings something that is perhaps just a little lacking with the ‘Cat team — pure athletic ability. I love the video of her go-ahead jump shot. She didn’t panic. She kept everything in line, she jumped, and her release was high and pure, allowing the ball to roll in from the front rim.

Congratulations, ⭐️ Madison Hall. You get the first star of the game. You could get both, but the second goes to ⭐️ Katelynn Limardo, who did a bunch of stuff tonight.

Go ‘Cats! 💙💛😺

(I just love beating ISU.)

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:26 pm

A great shot of the game winner here. Super job by Picton to get the ball off the deflection and find Hall. The freshman has been a really nice surprise so far this season.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:31 pm

Was it Janssen who missed the first pass. Our bigs did a lot of that tonight. Very timid and poor hands. Hopefully that gets better

Sports is not bigger than life

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:35 am

A win is a win, ugly, but ugly wins count. I was at the game and was really impressed with the size of the crowd. I listened to Coach Binford after the game and you could tell she was not happy at all with the team's play tonight. I'm just an armchar observer but dang I get so frustrated when we are playing well and building a lead and then boom, Coach subs out the very players who are primarily contributing to our good run. It happened tonight only three minutes into the game when we were ahead 7-2. After she subbed it was quite a while before we scored again. I agree with Belgrade Bobcat's comments about the subs late in the game. I'm not about to single out individual players on here, but sometimes Coach takes out several of our studs and subs in players who just cannot reliably get it done, especially down the stretch.

And speaking of studs, I'm really concerned about the Lady Cats going forward. I try to picture this team without Katelyn Limardo, Taylor Janssen and Madison Hall, and it would not be pretty. But alas, I guess I'll worry about that next year and try to enjoy this season while we still have them!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:02 am

aucat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:35 am
And speaking of studs, I'm really concerned about the Lady Cats going forward. I try to picture this team without Katelyn Limardo, Taylor Janssen and Madison Hall, and it would not be pretty. But alas, I guess I'll worry about that next year and try to enjoy this season while we still have them!
Try looking back for some perspective. When these players were freshmen, there were plenty of times that it looked very doubtful that they’d be the stars of 2023-24. I think we have a couple of younger players who are playing as well or maybe better than this trio did back then. Development takes potential + time. I see some real potential, but I’m worried about depth. Only six Bobcats scored tonight. But it’s way too soon to start worrying about next year. 💙 💛 😺

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:48 am

Well this post could get a little long. I was out with friends for dinner and drinks so couldn't watch the game live, looked at the game posts and decided I had to watch the game right away. I wasn't disappointed. So here are some random thoughts on individual players in no particular order and the team overall.
MJ Hall good for you that you came back to play one more year but GREAT for the team that you came back, I mean you've always been a very good player but this year it's like you're everything, absolutely special!
Janssen, love how you're stepping up with the absence of Lexi you're overall a more complete player this year, great eye for passing to the open player and that three point shot of yours is sweet, keep it up.
KJ Limardo, every bit of your play this year is a step above what it's always been. Your body control, focus, and play in general is at a new high level.
Dykstra, here's a player that is doing so much, so many of the little things that kind of go unnoticed but add up to so much and I keep getting the feeling that we haven't seen anything yet. I keep expecting see her go crazy in one of these games.
Berry, love your hard work on defense and how you're gaining confidence on offense. Keep working girl and you'll become one of the best ever.
Hein, moving towards becoming an absolute force on both defense and offense, for the amount of in game college experience she's had I'd say she's ahead of schedule and has a very high ceiling.
Bunyan, OMG we get 4 years of this basketball player!! YES
Picton, again punches above her weight, height and year. It's exciting to think what she could do with her 4 years here.
Then there's the gals on the bench because of injury or new to the program, there's so much talent and potential there.

One thing I really like about this team is that each player seems to be playing at near their personal best high level and that no-one seems to be depending on any one person for leadership and direction, but instead each player appears to be ready to provide a small piece of leadership when needed. Having said that I want to go back and say man are we fortunate that Madison Hall came back for another year.
I like how they're passing the ball around, and not just to pass it around but rather to break down the defense. I also like how they are moving with and without the ball, again to break down the defense, and they're looking to make the pass or receive the pass. They look to be very in sync as a team of 5 players whatever 5 are on the floor at the time.

Yeah there's lots of things they need to work on and get better at but seriously these gals could really end up being something special this year and for years to come. Finally I don't always understand what she's doing but I love watching coach Binford work the game. I have no doubt she will get the best out of the talent she has to work with. I don't know where this team will ultimately end up in conference play but I do believe they will end up better than their experience level and talent would suggest they should end up.

Your opinion of this team maybe different than mine but you're wrong and I'm right and that's that. :)

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:37 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:48 am
Well this post could get a little long. I was out with friends for dinner and drinks so couldn't watch the game live, looked at the game posts and decided I had to watch the game right away. I wasn't disappointed. So here are some random thoughts on individual players in no particular order and the team overall.
MJ Hall good for you that you came back to play one more year but GREAT for the team that you came back, I mean you've always been a very good player but this year it's like you're everything, absolutely special!
Janssen, love how you're stepping up with the absence of Lexi you're overall a more complete player this year, great eye for passing to the open player and that three point shot of yours is sweet, keep it up.
KJ Limardo, every bit of your play this year is a step above what it's always been. Your body control, focus, and play in general is at a new high level.
Dykstra, here's a player that is doing so much, so many of the little things that kind of go unnoticed but add up to so much and I keep getting the feeling that we haven't seen anything yet. I keep expecting see her go crazy in one of these games.
Berry, love your hard work on defense and how you're gaining confidence on offense. Keep working girl and you'll become one of the best ever.
Hein, moving towards becoming an absolute force on both defense and offense, for the amount of in game college experience she's had I'd say she's ahead of schedule and has a very high ceiling.
Bunyan, OMG we get 4 years of this basketball player!! YES
Picton, again punches above her weight, height and year. It's exciting to think what she could do with her 4 years here.
Then there's the gals on the bench because of injury or new to the program, there's so much talent and potential there.

One thing I really like about this team is that each player seems to be playing at near their personal best high level and that no-one seems to be depending on any one person for leadership and direction, but instead each player appears to be ready to provide a small piece of leadership when needed. Having said that I want to go back and say man are we fortunate that Madison Hall came back for another year.
I like how they're passing the ball around, and not just to pass it around but rather to break down the defense. I also like how they are moving with and without the ball, again to break down the defense, and they're looking to make the pass or receive the pass. They look to be very in sync as a team of 5 players whatever 5 are on the floor at the time.

Yeah there's lots of things they need to work on and get better at but seriously these gals could really end up being something special this year and for years to come. Finally I don't always understand what she's doing but I love watching coach Binford work the game. I have no doubt she will get the best out of the talent she has to work with. I don't know where this team will ultimately end up in conference play but I do believe they will end up better than their experience level and talent would suggest they should end up.

Your opinion of this team maybe different than mine but you're wrong and I'm right and that's that. :)
:thumbup: I totally agree with your opinions. Also, regarding Binford, it's always perplexed me when she often subs out a player with the hot hand over the years but what do I know.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:40 am

bobcatfan15 wrote:
I'm not sure she's a Big Sky player. Time will tell but she was a good but not great player at Laurel.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:44 am

Picton made two great passes on the play. The first one was totally flubbed by Janssen - I think it surprised her which should never happen - the 2nd one found the mark and Madison was very ready for it.

We had no offense all night in the low post and ISU's defense was extended to prevent easy 3's. We need more out of Dykstra, Janssen and Hein in the low post.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:02 am
aucat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:35 am
Try looking back for some perspective. When these players were freshmen, there were plenty of times that it looked very doubtful that they’d be the stars of 2023-24. I think we have a couple of younger players who are playing as well or maybe better than this trio did back then. Development takes potential + time. I see some real potential, but I’m worried about depth. Only six Bobcats scored tonight. But it’s way too soon to start worrying about next year. 💙 💛 😺
Will Deden be back next year? If so, that might alleviate some of your worries about next year.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:47 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:40 am
bobcatfan15 wrote:
I'm not sure she's a Big Sky player. Time will tell but she was a good but not great player at Laurel.
She made a few shots and played okay against Cats. Wouldn't have hurt with her being on floor for Cats vs against them.

Sports is not bigger than life