2024 men’s basketball offers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2024 men’s basketball offers

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:24 am

I know I don't have anything really earth-shattering to share but I thought I would just pass along a thought.

Its Homecoming weekend and next to the Gold Rush game it has historically been one of the biggest weekends for recruiting. I have not heard of anyone coming in this weekend but I would expect (hope) we will have a player (for Logie or Binford) or two in for a recruiting visit. If I hear of anything I will pass it along. If anyone hears anything and feels comfortable passing it along please do.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:08 am

Well, it's a home football game this weekend, typically when the basketball coaches would bring in recruits for official visits, but I am not hearing/seeing anything about recruits coming in this weekend. Again that does not mean none will be coming in just what I have been able to dig up. The only confirmed or rumored official visits I know of were 3 scheduled during the Gold Rush game. Two of those actually made the trip. the third committed to another school day before he was supposed to visit. Of the two that did come in one (Trap Johnson) committed to the Bobcats the other to Colorado State. Another prospect who was reported to have shortlisted the Bobcats and is said to have taken an unofficial visit to MSU over the summer also committed to Colorado State. There are 2-3 other guys whom it said the Bobcats were showing a lot of interest in have committed elsewhere this week, but I don't know if they even visited campus. Technically we have only 3 scholarships to offer, so the coaches may be holding back until the spring signing period to see what they have and what they may need on the roster.

Sorry, that's all I have. If anyone hears anything let us know.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:41 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:08 am
Well, it's a home football game this weekend, typically when the basketball coaches would bring in recruits for official visits, but I am not hearing/seeing anything about recruits coming in this weekend. Again that does not mean none will be coming in just what I have been able to dig up. The only confirmed or rumored official visits I know of were 3 scheduled during the Gold Rush game. Two of those actually made the trip. the third committed to another school day before he was supposed to visit. Of the two that did come in one (Trap Johnson) committed to the Bobcats the other to Colorado State. Another prospect who was reported to have shortlisted the Bobcats and is said to have taken an unofficial visit to MSU over the summer also committed to Colorado State. There are 2-3 other guys whom it said the Bobcats were showing a lot of interest in have committed elsewhere this week, but I don't know if they even visited campus. Technically we have only 3 scholarships to offer, so the coaches may be holding back until the spring signing period to see what they have and what they may need on the roster.

Sorry, that's all I have. If anyone hears anything let us know.
Hoping one of those spots goes to Fisher Brown from Lewistown, who is playing at a prep school in Utah this season in the hopes of boosting D-1 interest.

centralmtfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by centralmtfan » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:28 pm

Don’t get your hopes up. Been pretty disappointed in the new Cats staff’s efforts to get to know him. Sounds like they haven’t even called him or communicated with him.

Fischer started last weekend for Wasatch and had 28 and seven boards one night and 16 the next day. His step dad told me his defense is really improving and they want him to shoot more. He said Fischer really likes his new coaches and teammates and is “thriving” from the competition in practice.

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:52 pm

I know nothing, but I do know that most, if not all, programs are going the transfer portal route. So much easier for them to see what kids can do against D1 (or comparable) competition rather than risking one of their 13 full rides on prep prospects.

Having said that, I just looked at the Wasatch Academy team website. They will play plenty of elite prospects and it looks as if their own roster is loaded too. If he continues to post big numbers and more importantly looks the part at that level, he'll likely have Pac 12, Mountain West, WCC type of offers right out of Wasatch. I could even see BYU, Pepperdine, Utah St. level for him.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:34 pm

lv2hoop wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:52 pm
I know nothing, but I do know that most, if not all, programs are going the transfer portal route. So much easier for them to see what kids can do against D1 (or comparable) competition rather than risking one of their 13 full rides on prep prospects.

Having said that, I just looked at the Wasatch Academy team website. They will play plenty of elite prospects and it looks as if their own roster is loaded too. If he continues to post big numbers and more importantly looks the part at that level, he'll likely have Pac 12, Mountain West, WCC type of offers right out of Wasatch. I could even see BYU, Pepperdine, Utah St. level for him.
Danny Sprinkle certainly knows him.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:04 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:34 pm
lv2hoop wrote:

I would love to see Brown at MSU. He has the skill, but he needs to bulk up. Hopefully that will be a priority at Wasatch.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:01 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
lv2hoop wrote:

If that's the case, then it seems like maybe it isn't the worst thing for MSU to be looking at more realistic recruiting targets instead.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:14 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:01 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
lv2hoop wrote:

If that's the case, then it seems like maybe it isn't the worst thing for MSU to be looking at more realistic recruiting targets instead.
And if Danny does why doesn't Fischer have an offer and felt he needed to go to prep school to get offers.

Sports is not bigger than life

centralmtfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by centralmtfan » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:01 am

Fischer Brown and Wasatch(11) played Mount Verde (1) and Cooper Flagg last night . Mount Verde dominated the game as they should have with probably 4 NBA caliber players in the starting lineup. Brown played solid minutes hit a deep three and made a nice back door cut to the basket. He is the first guard off the bench. Considering the competition his defense was solid. He had a blocked shot on the big center and drew a nice charge on the good point guard.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:25 pm

Looks like on January 5th we extended an offer to Bryce Zephir, a 6-4 guard from SLCC. He once played for North Texas.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 pm

And he's committed!

msu_agfan wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:25 pm
Looks like on January 5th we extended an offer to Bryce Zephir, a 6-4 guard from SLCC. He once played for North Texas.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

Bryce has 7 other offers. I think he is going to be a great addition to help with the loss of Ford next year.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/bryce-zephir

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm
Bryce has 7 other offers. I think he is going to be a great addition to help with the loss of Ford next year.

How much eligibility?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 pm
msu_agfan wrote:

How much eligibility?
Looks like he played one year at North Texas, sat out the '22-'23 season and played for SLCC this past year. He should have two years of eligibility left without an available redshirt.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:36 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 pm
msu_agfan wrote:

How much eligibility?
Looks like he played one year at North Texas, sat out the '22-'23 season and played for SLCC this past year. He should have two years of eligibility left without an available redshirt.
and he had a covid year. played whole season at JC.
https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens ... ephir/5383

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:31 am

Thank you.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:26 pm

Someone said somewhere that the Texas kid has a brother who maybe available as well. I can't seem to find anything on that as of now.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:32 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:26 pm
Someone said somewhere that the Texas kid has a brother who maybe available as well. I can't seem to find anything on that as of now.
This is Trap Johnson's older brother: https://lipscombsports.com/sports/mens- ... hnson/5656

He was at Lipscomb for two years (redshirted and played one year) and entered the Transfer Portal on Monday. Would have three years of eligibility left.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:09 am

Fischer Brown, son of former Bobcat Justin Brown, from Lewistown has committed to Western Carolina. Great for him to be going D-1. I wonder if he was anywhere on our board.