New Men's Basketball Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: New Men's Basketball Coach

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:47 pm

I assume Great Osobor will follow Coach Haslem to USU. Has anybody heard otherwise? I also wonder if Luca Colceag will stay.

I wish Coach Haslem the best of luck at USU. The few people I know directly associated with the program like and respect him. My interactions with him were brief, but I found him pleasant and well-informed. I will miss seeing him on the sideline. And I will miss the great European players he recruited for the Cats.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:10 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:47 pm
I assume Great Osobor will follow Coach Haslem to USU. Has anybody heard otherwise? I also wonder if Luca Colceag will stay.

I wish Coach Haslem the best of luck at USU. The few people I know directly associated with the program like and respect him. My interactions with him were brief, but I found him pleasant and well-informed. I will miss seeing him on the sideline. And I will miss the great European players he recruited for the Cats.
All the more reason to stress the great skiing at both Bridger and Big Sky. Take the lady ski team on recruiting trips to Norway, Sweden...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:56 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:47 pm

Haslam has definitely had some hits and misses with the European players, but boy have the hits been good particularly with Harald Frey and Jubrile Belo. I won't be surprised to see the new coach bring in another assistant with international connections, although perhaps enough teams have caught on that recruiting in Europe is no longer quite the market inefficiency that it has been in the past.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:33 am

Capko may be the guy...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:02 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:33 am
Capko may be the guy...

Over the weekend I watched a few of Capko's interviews on YouTube. He reminds me a lot of the guy he'd be replacing so I can't say I'm surprised if the search goes this way.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:16 pm

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:34 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:42 pm
vike_king wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:17 pm
How many players are left for a potential coach to meet?
8. Pending any additional departures McMahon, Osobor, Patterson, Ash, Ford, Colceag, Miller, and Lecholat are still on the roster.
6 and counting...ugh

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 am

I think this was the 2nd best hire of the names I heard. The P5 assistants are always attractive names but Logie's rise has been impressive, starting at the bottom rung. Ben McCollum would have been the coup but he makes more at his D2 school then MSU will ever be able to offer him in the Big Sky.

I would have been fine with Capko but Logie just seems like a rising star.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:47 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 am
I think this was the 2nd best hire of the names I heard. The P5 assistants are always attractive names but Logie's rise has been impressive, starting at the bottom rung. Ben McCollum would have been the coup but he makes more at his D2 school then MSU will ever be able to offer him in the Big Sky.

I would have been fine with Capko but Logie just seems like a rising star.
Yeah, as soon as I saw that McCollum turned down 300K from Buffalo last year I knew he wasn't coming to MSU. Logie has an impressive resume on paper and is exactly the type of coach a low/mid-major program like MSU can expect to hire. Young, talented, motivated...just like the last guy.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:43 pm

aucat wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:39 pm
lutecat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:02 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:29 pm
Really bad week for Bobcat basketball all around. :(
What else happened?
I'm assuming that is referring to losing both of the guards (Beattie and Beasley) that were projected to start
for our women's team next year. Big losses with Darin White gone. Some optimistic fans think we can easily
replace those two, but there's no substitute for experience, so I'm not one of them.
Yeah that was it. Turns out the next week was even worse. :(

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:05 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:20 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:01 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:57 pm
Give Sprinkle a chance to coach in a 2-4 bid league, and get ready to watch him every year in the NCAA Tournament.
Looking forward to it! If he gets there next year I'd prefer it not be with anyone named Great, Raequan, or Darius.
I’m not convinced anyone other than Battle would start at Utah State next season on a team competing for a tournament spot.
I completely whiffed on this one. Could have been a special season in Bozeman but unfortunately, good, young coaches if successful at MSU are going to move to bigger jobs, which is both a good and bad thing and limits how much money it is worth spending to improve the facilities/program if every good player leaves when their coach leaves.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:03 am

Logie is adding some wins to his total now. Even if we get the traditional spring collapse, I'm impressed with how competitive he has made this team

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:16 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:03 am
Logie is adding some wins to his total now. Even if we get the traditional spring collapse, I'm impressed with how competitive he has made this team

Considering how the team was gutted after sprinkle left….. this has been very impressive to watch.

Really excited to see what he can do these next couple years as he builds the program.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Oh crap that's right. It's almost February. Sprinkle almost made me forget about the annual Bobcat basketball February swoon...

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Oh crap that's right. It's almost February. Sprinkle almost made me forget about the annual Bobcat basketball February swoon...
=; :-$ Don’t speak it back in to existence.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:42 pm

kmax wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:47 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
=; :-$ Don’t speak it back in to existence.