New Men's Basketball Coach

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

New Men's Basketball Coach

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:28 am

So do we hire from within or go with a national search? Haslam and Hill have the credentials to move up. I have a feeling Haslam and possibly Hill will move with Sprinkle unless they get the HC job.

Let the transferring begin! I think it is going to be brutal!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: New Men's Basketball Coach

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:33 am

I got to think promoting Haslam would provide the least amount of change and turnover.0

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:33 am

If there has ever been a situation to promote from within this would seem to be it. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Utah State pays its assistants as much or more than what the head coach gets at MSU, so I can see the entire staff moving on if Danny wants to retain them all.

Fortunately MSU is a much more attractive job in 2023 than it was the last few times it has been open.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 am

Don’t forget about Dan Russell who was an assistant under Sprinkle and now is at Weber.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:02 am

Haslam w/out question if they chose to hire internal

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:06 am

Okay Mr. Costello get to work, no Easter break for you. Just kidding. Everything that Leon touches seems to turn out great so let's hope he can work his magic on this one.
I sure hope Danny made the Aggies pay up big time to get him cause he's worth a million $$ a year.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 am

I have always gotten the feeling from visiting with Haslem that he is very content with recruiting and coaching and developing big guys. I really like the idea of Dan Russell, but I believe he moved because the cost of living was so high. I think Hill could be a solid choice, but I think Leon will go after someone with the ability to grow the program even further. We are now to a point where those people will apply.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:11 am

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 am
Don’t forget about Dan Russell who was an assistant under Sprinkle and now is at Weber.
That's who popped into my head

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:15 am

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 am
I have always gotten the feeling from visiting with Haslem that he is very content with recruiting and coaching and developing big guys. I really like the idea of Dan Russell, but I believe he moved because the cost of living was so high. I think Hill could be a solid choice, but I think Leon will go after someone with the ability to grow the program even further. We are now to a point where those people will apply.
100%!! Dan Russell is a proven winning HC. Sprinks tapped him from one the top JC’s in the country.

As far as cost of living. The University and HC can make sure that assistants don’t have to make the choice to leave a winning program because of the high cost of housing.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:22 am

HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:15 am
superbobcat wrote:
100%!! Dan Russell is a proven winning HC. Sprinks tapped him from one the top JC’s in the country.

As far as cost of living. The University and HC can make sure that assistants don’t have to make the choice to leave a winning program because of the high cost of housing.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... yhEALw_wcB

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:24 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:22 am
HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:15 am
superbobcat wrote:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... yhEALw_wcB
😂 Chump change!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:26 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:11 am
Common Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 am
That's who popped into my head
Mine too, although I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as an assistant to Danny at USU rather than coming back to MSU as head coach. Will be interesting to see which names surface as the process moves forward.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:31 am

I am hoping that Halsam or they bring Dan back. I mean really we can't afford to lose Haslam as he has brought in some great players and is the euro connection. I just hope we retain the rest of the guys. I also really hope that Danny doesn't poach Ray or Great. That would piss me off.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:44 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:31 am
I am hoping that Halsam or they bring Dan back. I mean really we can't afford to lose Haslam as he has brought in some great players and is the euro connection. I just hope we retain the rest of the guys. I also really hope that Danny doesn't poach Ray or Great. That would piss me off.
Or Rob or Darius.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:50 am

I’ve said this before but will repeat it lol
Internal hires
1. Haslam
2. A Hill

Outside
Justin Wetzel- current NBA coach,former MSU assistant and has head coaching experience in College and professional

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:51 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:44 am
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Or Rob or Darius.
Robert Ford? I don’t think that’s a concern.

If players decide to leave MSU for Utah State, then good for them. It’s not poaching. It’s the opportunity to play at a bigger and better level. That’s fair of them to do too.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:53 am

superbobcat wrote:
But he would go from assistant to head coach salary and bonus structure

Sports is not bigger than life

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:00 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:51 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Or Rob or Darius.

If players decide to leave MSU for Utah State, then good for them. It’s not poaching. It’s the opportunity to play at a bigger and better level. That’s fair of them to do too.
Is USU a bigger and better level. Conference wise they will get more teams into NCAA. Coaching hire doesn't even make front page of espn website. They lost to Weber.

Sports is not bigger than life

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:15 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:00 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:51 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Or Rob or Darius.

Is USU a bigger and better level. Conference wise they will get more teams into NCAA. Coaching hire doesn't even make front page of espn website. They lost to Weber.
They play in a conference that gets 2-4 bids each year, and has been getting better and better every year. The MW was the 4th highest rated conference this season. They played in the conference title game this year and are regularly at the top of the standings. So yes USU is bigger and better.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:29 pm

Really bad week for Bobcat basketball all around. :(

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz