Alex Germer in the Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Alex Germer in the Portal

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:16 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Alex Germer in the Portal

Post by tetoncat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:52 pm

Doesn't surprise with low playing time. Such a good shooter in high school, curious why his playing time was so low.

Sports is not bigger than life

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:42 pm

I thought he would give it one more year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:59 pm

There are many honest discussions between players and coaches on their roles for next season and where they need to develop. These are good for both sides.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:13 pm

I was hoping he could develop into a solid depth player or even eventual starter…. But not surprised to see him leave. Good luck

FTG- GO CATS GO!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 pm

The day of the MT D1 player unfortunately no longer exists. I hope he can land somewhere that he can enjoy the game. Good luck and thanks for all he hard work.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:10 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 pm
The day of the MT D1 player unfortunately no longer exists. I hope he can land somewhere that he can enjoy the game. Good luck and thanks for all he hard work.
I don’t think the days of Montana D1 basketball players are over but I do agree it is becoming increasingly rare. This state will produce some and when it happens the Cats need to be in (and win) the recruitment battle. This increasingly includes out of state competition. Talent is not “hidden” these days.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:12 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Rollie Worster plays for Utah and he is doing okay.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:12 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Raequan Evans from Billings Skyview started 26 of 27 games for Florida State last year as well. Tres Tinkle started all 4 years in the PAC 12.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:49 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Raequan Evans from Billings Skyview started 26 of 27 games for Florida State last year as well. Tres Tinkle started all 4 years in the PAC 12.
Josh Huestis at Stanford

Edit
The Manuel kid from Skyview played at OSU and started for UM.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 am

I would love to see him go to a JC and give it a year of actual playing and then trying to go somewhere I know the whole transfer deal, but he needs playing time. Either that or go to Tech and he could be a solid pick up for them to make another run next year. I was pulling for him especially to knock the griz fans since he was raised a griz.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:34 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:49 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Josh Huestis at Stanford

Edit
The Manuel kid from Skyview played at OSU and started for UM.
I'm pretty sure there was another kid from Skyview that also played for OSU. He was only a year or two older or younger than Manuel. At one time, both of them and Tinkle were all on the OSU roster at the same time. It's pretty amazing that a Pac 12 team had 3 Montana kids on their roster, 2 from the same school.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:38 pm

I just looked it up...it was Daine Muller. He was a junior for OSU when Tinkle and Manuel were freshmen.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:32 pm

Are there any underclassmen in MT on Cat or Griz radar. Seems like this year a lot of NAIA signings. Are Cats and Griz not willing to take a shot on top 1 or 2 guys each year such as Dick, Robinson, Peebles from this year's class and similar other years. If they don't work out will transfer in couple years. Would tie up 3 or so scholarships, but we usually only go 8 or 9 deep of meaningful playing time any ways.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:36 pm

I don't feel like this year had any legit D1 guys. 2 of the 3 you mentioned are committed to NAIA programs and I feel they are great fits at that level. The last one has NAIA interest in both bball and fball so it'll be interesting which way he goes. Next year I think there might be a guy or two who could be fringe D1...have to see how they develop over the next 10-12 months.

Edit:
Germer to College of Idaho

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 pm

Germer commits to NAIA National Champs College of Idaho. He joins a former Idaho/Montana Select AAU coach in Colby Blaine and only adds talent to the best NAIA school in the country at the moment. This is a great move to learn and develop even more from a coach who’s knows Alex’s strengths.
Wish him the best and don’t diminish this move. Blaine is one of the bigger names at the NAIA level and will go as high as he wants in the coaching realm.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 pm
Germer commits to NAIA National Champs College of Idaho. He joins a former Idaho/Montana Select AAU coach in Colby Blaine and only adds talent to the best NAIA school in the country at the moment. This is a great move to learn and develop even more from a coach who’s knows Alex’s strengths.
Wish him the best and don’t diminish this move. Blaine is one of the bigger names at the NAIA level and will go as high as he wants in the coaching realm.
They'll have four Montana high school kids next year as Peoples is also joining the two on the team now.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:54 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Blaine is one of the bigger names at the NAIA level and will go as high as he wants in the coaching realm.

Former Montana Tech coach Kelvin Samson now at Houston?

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:33 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:47 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
They'll have four Montana high school kids next year as Peoples is also joining the two on the team now.
Also worth noting that with the addition of Germer and Peoples there are now at least 6 guys on CoI’s roster who played under the Select Basketball umbrella. These guys like Coach Blaine and it shows.
If Coach Sprinkle were to take a bigger job in the next couple years Leon Costello’s first phone call better be to Colby Blaine…

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:33 pm

Makes sense with him playing Select. As they College of Idaho builds momentum and Select having most of top MT players they will probably get more. Tech wasn't far off and layed tourney without best guy