Sprinkle mentioned as candidate for NM ST

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Sprinkle mentioned as candidate for NM ST

Post by Willneal » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:52 pm

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sprinkle mentioned as candidate for NM ST

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Willneal wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:52 pm
https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-spo ... all-coach/

Hope the link works
I expect Danny will have better options than NMSU. NMSU is going to be a tough job for any new coach. Chance of failure is way higher than the opportunity to succeed.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:47 pm

I suspect the rumor mill will be churning for a while. Having a coach in these conversations is a good thing.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm

Lol..... not a chance. That's where coaching careers go to die.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:39 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Lol..... not a chance. That's where coaching careers go to die.
Not really, their last 4 head coaches before this year left to go to the Sacramento Kings, UNLV, New Mexico, and Mississippi State in that order. It's an absolute dumpster fire at the moment though so I really can't see Sprinkle leaving MSU to go there after he turned down San Diego last year which is a much more desirable job on paper.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:04 pm

MSU01 block me please. Thanks.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:28 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:04 pm
MSU01 block me please. Thanks.
No thanks, I only block Griz trolls.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 am

No doubt Sprink is going to get offers....sign of a good program. I wonder how Gonzaga keeps Few? Is the Alumni base contributing more $$ for the program? What can Bobcat fans do to keep Sprink in Bozeman? Is it a matter of just more donations to the 6th man club?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:19 am

Willneal wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:52 pm
https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-spo ... all-coach/

Hope the link works
His name has come up for the USC coach as well along with CSU-Fullerton head coach Dedrique Taylor (both USC & NMSU). I bring up Taylor because Danny was an assistant at CSUF under Taylor when we hired him. If Taylor were to hired by someone else you know that CSUF would be very interested in Sprinkle. I also heard his name come up for a D-1 coaching position in Wisconson, but I can not remember, (and I am too lazy to look back up).

While we are on the subject, I want to say something about this. Sprinkle is one of the hot D-1 coaches right now. His reputation is one of Winning, building programs (the right way), and being a coach that players love to play for and parents love him. If I was a betting man (and I am not) I would say the chances are better than not that Danny will get an offer that he simply can not turn down. I think we as Bobcat Basketball fans need to show Danny nothing but love if he does accept an offer that allows him to move up the coaching ladder. Danny has come to Montana State and did exactly what we wanted him to do & what he promised to do. If he were to leave tomorrow he filled his part of the bargain in spades. Tell me who of us, no matter how much we love our job, would turn down a doubling, tripling, or better of our salary, not to mention, a job that increased your national prestige. Given his track record since being hired, I have the utmost confidence that Leon Costello will hire the next great coach at Montana State. Danny has proven you can build a winning program at Montana State. You have fantastic support from the fans, athletic department, university brass, and the community. Montana State is a place to start building your career. We need to just plain get behind Sprinkle whether it is as a Bobcat coach next year or if he does indeed get the fantastic opportunity to fulfill his dream of moving up the coaches ladder. Danny Sprinkle is a Bobcat and will always be a Bobcat whether here or somewhere else, or as I always say Once a Bobcat always a Bobcat!

BTW: I am going to be very surprised if Assistant coach Haslam does not get an opportunity to move up the coaching ladder also.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:56 am

I share your concern about losing Haslam. He will be harder to replace than Sprinkle.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 am

Has he been here long enough with a pool of assistants that one of them is in line for head job if Danny leaves.

Regionally Colby Blaine of College of Idaho just won NAIA national championship, I think he is main coach with Select teams as well. Would he be an option.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:59 am

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 am
Has he been here long enough with a pool of assistants that one of them is in line for head job if Danny leaves.

Regionally Colby Blaine of College of Idaho just won NAIA national championship, I think he is main coach with Select teams as well. Would he be an option.
I can see either Chris Haslam or Andy Hill getting a serious look if Danny moves on. Hill has only been at MSU for a year but is around the same age as Danny and has a 20+ year resume as an assistant working mainly under Larry Krystkowiak at Montana & Utah.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:03 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:59 am
tetoncat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:37 am

I can see either Chris Haslam or Andy Hill getting a serious look if Danny moves on. Hill has only been at MSU for a year but is around the same age as Danny and has a 20+ year resume as an assistant working mainly under Larry Krystkowiak at Montana & Utah.
Hill was under serious consideration when Danny and Fish were interviewed hired.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 pm

EWU is making a great run in the NIT.
I really would be surprised if Sprinkle leaves this early. He has only been a head coach for a short time.

Of course, if some big time school wants to take a chance on someone with his limited time, then
we'll see what happens. I just think it's too early.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:49 pm

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... LgaYEacyDQ

Per Jeff Goodman
New Mexico State names, source told @stadium.

Danny Sprinkle (Montana State)
Preston Spradlin (Morehead State)
Jason Hooten (Sam Houston State)
Austin Claunch (Nicholls State)
Josh Pastner (formerly at Georgia Tech)

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:40 am

Willneal wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:49 pm
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... LgaYEacyDQ

Per Jeff Goodman
New Mexico State names, source told @stadium.

Danny Sprinkle (Montana State)
Preston Spradlin (Morehead State)
Jason Hooten (Sam Houston State)
Austin Claunch (Nicholls State)
Josh Pastner (formerly at Georgia Tech)
One bullet dodged! New Mexico State has hired Jason Hooten formerly of Sam Houston State

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 am

Not a lot of jobs open right now that would seem to be potential moves for Coach Sprinkle. Cal is rumored to be looking at hiring the UC-Santa Barbara coach, so perhaps if he leaves then UCSB could be interested in Danny. Would be at least a doubling in base salary and Danny coached for years in the Big West as an assistant.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:57 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:01 am
Not a lot of jobs open right now that would seem to be potential moves for Coach Sprinkle. Cal is rumored to be looking at hiring the UC-Santa Barbara coach, so perhaps if he leaves then UCSB could be interested in Danny. Would be at least a doubling in base salary and Danny coached for years in the Big West as an assistant.
Better be at least twice as much:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... Barbara_CA

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:25 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:57 am
MSU01 wrote:

From what I am hearing the UCSB head coach's salary is in the $185-210K

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:06 pm

mslacat wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:25 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:57 am
MSU01 wrote:

From what I am hearing the UCSB head coach's salary is in the $185-210K
At that salary he may be able to rent a room in some other of those homes.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.