Danny Sprinkle & the MSU Turnaround

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Danny Sprinkle & the MSU Turnaround

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:25 am

MSU with Danny Sprinkle as a player (1996 - 1999): 5-3 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 2 Championship appearances, 1 NCAA Tournament

The next 20 seasons (2000 - 2019): 3-15 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 1 Championship appearance, 0 NCAA Tournaments

MSU with Danny Sprinkle as head coach: (2020 - 2023): 8-1 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 3 consecutive Championship appearances, 2 NCAA Tournaments

It's probably unrealistic to hope that Danny won't be snapped up by a much bigger school in the next few years, but I sure hope Leon and Waded can keep him around as long as possible!
Last edited by MSU01 on Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Danny Sprinkle & the MSU Turnaround

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:51 am

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:36 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:25 am
MSU with Danny Sprinkle as a player (1996 - 1999): 5-3 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 2 Championship appearances, 1 NCAA Tournament

The next 20 seasons (2000 - 2019): 3-15 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 1 Championship appearance, 0 NCAA Tournaments

MSU with Danny Sprinkle as head coach: (2020 - 2023): 7-1 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 3 consecutive Championship appearances, 1 NCAA Tournament

It's probably unrealistic to hope that Danny won't be snapped up by a much bigger school in the next few years, but I sure hope Leon and Waded can keep him around as long as possible!
This is all the more reason I'm warming up to the idea of all MSU athletics making a move up to higher level of competition, whenever the dust settles with all of the conference realignment. At this point, there's no reason MSU couldn't be a decent mid-major basketball school. The support is there, leadership is there and at this point are staying put, facilities are improving. This could possibly allow MSU to retain excellent coaches (and assistant coaches, which is also very important for the sake of continuity). So long as there is still a shot at participating in a national championship tournament for all sports, I'd be all for it. Football is obviously the key to all of this.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:52 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:36 am
MSU01 wrote:

MSU with Danny Sprinkle as head coach: (2020 - 2023): 7-1 record in the Big Sky Tournament, 3 consecutive Championship appearances, 1 NCAA Tournament

This is all the more reason I'm warming up to the idea of all MSU athletics making a move up to higher level of competition, whenever the dust settles with all of the conference realignment. At this point, there's no reason MSU couldn't be a decent mid-major basketball school. The support is there, leadership is there and at this point are staying put, facilities are improving. This could possibly allow MSU to retain excellent coaches (and assistant coaches, which is also very important for the sake of continuity). So long as there is still a shot at participating in a national championship tournament for all sports, I'd be all for it. Football is obviously the key to all of this.
Well in hoops, I’d say the chances of winning it all, regardless of what level/conference we’re in, 1 in a million….. at least for the next few decades. For FB, same deal at the highest level, so I like the FCS for now, unless they move to a mid tier playoff system for FBS.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:52 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:36 am
MSU01 wrote:

Well in hoops, I’d say the chances of winning it all, regardless of what level/conference we’re in, 1 in a million….. at least for the next few decades. For FB, same deal at the highest level, so I like the FCS for now, unless they move to a mid tier playoff system for FBS.
Yep that's what I'm talking about. And say what you will about MBB, but technically, if they win the conference tournament, MSU has a shot at a national championship, however minute that may be. I'd take a sweet 16 run at this point. That would be a tremendously successful season for any BSC team.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:58 pm

I'm hoping this is a Jim Boeheim or Mark Few situation we're in with Danny. I'd like to see a 30+ year career in Bozeman with steady progress toward becoming the next Gonzaga story. It's not completely out of the question.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 pm

CatBot wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:58 pm
I'm hoping this is a Jim Boeheim or Mark Few situation we're in with Danny. I'd like to see a 30+ year career in Bozeman with steady progress toward becoming the next Gonzaga story. It's not completely out of the question.
I hope we don't do to Danny what Syracuse did to Boeheim... Talk about a gut punch.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:16 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 pm
CatBot wrote:
I hope we don't do to Danny what Syracuse did to Boeheim... Talk about a gut punch.
That is the feeling most are having, but I read it differently. Boeheim was messing with the media and purposely being difficult. I think Syracuse saw that and said well this guy doesn’t want to come back, so let’s give him what he wants and move on. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I thought when I watched the press conference.

If your left, you aren’t right.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:26 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:16 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
That is the feeling most are having, but I read it differently. Boeheim was messing with the media and purposely being difficult. I think Syracuse saw that and said well this guy doesn’t want to come back, so let’s give him what he wants and move on. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I thought when I watched the press conference.
From what I understand he wanted to come back but was told he should retire. If it's not that it's a pretty weird situation, he had to be a year or two from retiring on his own. I would think the University would want to keep his legacy intact, but this could blemish it.

I do agree what Catbot was asserting though, I hope Danny coaches at MSU for 47 years.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:24 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:26 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
From what I understand he wanted to come back but was told he should retire. If it's not that it's a pretty weird situation, he had to be a year or two from retiring on his own. I would think the University would want to keep his legacy intact, but this could blemish it.

I do agree what Catbot was asserting though, I hope Danny coaches at MSU for 47 years.
He’s incredibly cantankerous on a good day, old as can be, and his teams haven’t been as good as they should have been the last few years. Ideally he’d read the tea leaves and willingly retire, but he chose not to. The university could have handled this better for sure, but the majority of the blame lies on Boeheim.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:33 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:26 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
CatBot wrote:

I'd love to see Danny stick around for a long time but 47 years seems a bit much given that he'd be 90 years old at the beginning of Year 47. :lol:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:06 pm

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

CatBot wrote:
Boeheim made $2.5 million last year and Few made $1.4 million in a bargain for Gonzaga.

Enjoy Danny while he's here because I doubt it will be for long. He can make $1 million at a high mid-major and buy a summer home in Montana if he wants.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:40 pm

CatBot wrote:
No it's not out of the question. With what many are saying is the imminent collapse of the pac (corner schools to the Big 12 and Washington to the Big 10), Few's take on leaving Gonzaga was prophetic:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/0 ... hot-clicks

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:59 pm

Two of the three wins in the 20 year span was Brad Huse’s team that made it to the championship game. I wonder if Sprinkle was on his staff that season?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:14 pm

imacat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:59 pm
Two of the three wins in the 20 year span was Brad Huse’s team that made it to the championship game. I wonder if Sprinkle was on his staff that season?
Nope, Danny left Huse's staff to go back to California after the '08 season.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:16 pm

imacat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:59 pm
I don’t think so?? I believe Danny was only on Brads staff his first 2 years as HC…2006-2008 if I remember correctly

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 pm

https://www.outkick.com/wisconsin-greg- ... t-options/ Sprinkle's name pops up here for... Wisconsin.

The writer has some ties it seems:

"I used to actually work within the Montana State basketball department, and I can tell you from firsthand experience how dysfunctional it was at one point. I enjoyed my time there, but it wasn’t a well-run program. That’s just a fact. That’s no longer the case. Sprinkle has turned Montana State into a small school that has to be feared."

- David Hookstead

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:39 pm

CatBot wrote:
Man that would be amazing! I think there is a reality where that could happen, but it would take vision and a dedication to the long story and less money in the immediate. Bozeman could become such a great basketball program.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:21 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:39 pm
CatBot wrote:
Man that would be amazing! I think there is a reality where that could happen, but it would take vision and a dedication to the long story and less money in the immediate. Bozeman could become such a great basketball program.
Seriously? C'mon man, Bozeman isn't a state...