Danny Sprinkle & the MSU Turnaround

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Danny Sprinkle & the MSU Turnaround

Post by Common Cat » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:49 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:21 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:39 pm
CatBot wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:58 pm
I'm hoping this is a Jim Boeheim or Mark Few situation we're in with Danny. I'd like to see a 30+ year career in Bozeman with steady progress toward becoming the next Gonzaga story. It's not completely out of the question.
Man that would be amazing! I think there is a reality where that could happen, but it would take vision and a dedication to the long story and less money in the immediate. Bozeman could become such a great basketball program.
Seriously? C'mon man, Bozeman isn't a state...
Dude you gotta chill.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:58 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:49 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:21 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:39 pm
CatBot wrote:
I'm hoping this is a Jim Boeheim or Mark Few situation we're in with Danny. I'd like to see a 30+ year career in Bozeman with steady progress toward becoming the next Gonzaga story. It's not completely out of the question.
Man that would be amazing! I think there is a reality where that could happen, but it would take vision and a dedication to the long story and less money in the immediate. Bozeman could become such a great basketball program.
Seriously? C'mon man, Bozeman isn't a state...
Dude you gotta chill.
I would rather we refer to MSU as Bozeman than the dumbf--k on Reddit who is a diehard Cat homer and refers to us as just "Montana"

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:57 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:24 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:26 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:16 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:02 pm
CatBot wrote:
I hope we don't do to Danny what Syracuse did to Boeheim... Talk about a gut punch.
That is the feeling most are having, but I read it differently. Boeheim was messing with the media and purposely being difficult. I think Syracuse saw that and said well this guy doesn’t want to come back, so let’s give him what he wants and move on. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I thought when I watched the press conference.
From what I understand he wanted to come back but was told he should retire. If it's not that it's a pretty weird situation, he had to be a year or two from retiring on his own. I would think the University would want to keep his legacy intact, but this could blemish it.

I do agree what Catbot was asserting though, I hope Danny coaches at MSU for 47 years.
He’s incredibly cantankerous on a good day, old as can be, and his teams haven’t been as good as they should have been the last few years. Ideally he’d read the tea leaves and willingly retire, but he chose not to. The university could have handled this better for sure, but the majority of the blame lies on Boeheim.
And he has skated through a number of player behavior situations and NCAA rules violations by the skin of his teeth. He’s rubbed a little tarnish on his own image over the years. Institutions seem to often handle these situations in the worst way possible — but I’m not sure there was a best way possible. Better, quite likely.