WBB vs PSU in Boise

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB vs PSU in Boise

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:14 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 pm
Thank You seniors. It's been great watching you play over the years. Not the way we wanted to see you go out. Lov ya all. Go Cats!
I can’t say it any better.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:25 pm

Hopefully this makes the seniors want to come back for one more year.

Bummer to go out like that.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:38 pm

Such a disappointment. I can't put my finger on it. Something was just missing down the stretch. Combination of playing bad and our opponent playing incredible today, but we just lacked belief or something. I don't know. Upsets do happen-look at the men's bracket with EWU and NAU. I just hate it for these players that have been so special for so long.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:44 pm

Bobcat seniors etched unforgettable careers despite disappointing final Big Sky exit
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcat-seni ... -sky-exit/

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:17 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:44 pm
Bobcat seniors etched unforgettable careers despite disappointing final Big Sky exit
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcat-seni ... -sky-exit/
Nice article Colter. Thanks!

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:53 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:38 pm
Such a disappointment. I can't put my finger on it. Something was just missing down the stretch. Combination of playing bad and our opponent playing incredible today, but we just lacked belief or something. I don't know. Upsets do happen-look at the men's bracket with EWU and NAU. I just hate it for these players that have been so special for so long.
A contributing factor might be that the playing time of two very energetic freshman, Dykstra & Philip, all but vanished down the stretch.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am

This one is on Trucia. She was flat out out coached. It was obvious early on that our switching every time was fundamental to PSU's success. They screened until one of our bigs were on their two best three point shooters. The big didn't guard them closely and they had wide open threes. Tricia never changed her switching strategy nor did she try Dykstra or any other option off the bench. Coach, you are better than that and the team deserved more as they played hard.

Thanks to the seniors for some great basketball while you were here. Looking forward to next year.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:30 am

I was pretty upset with this one, this was an unacceptable loss in my book. Reminds me of all those men's years where we'd have a good regular season but trip up in February, limp into the tournament and then be one and done. It wasn't to that level in the regular season but the women lost 2 of the last 3 in the regular season, including getting smoked at home on senior night that would have clinched the Big Sky title, and then get boat-raced in the first game by the 7 seed, a team we handled fairly easily twice this season. Dropped 3 of the last 4 to end it.

Bad way for the seniors to go out.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:08 am

Both the coach and players said it "was between the ears" that they weren't "mentally ready." What does that mean?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:10 pm

aucat wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:08 am
Both the coach and players said it "was between the ears" that they weren't "mentally ready." What does that mean?
It means they should have had Jubrile Belo deliver the pre-game inspirational message. No kidding.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:30 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am
This one is on Trucia. She was flat out out coached. It was obvious early on that our switching every time was fundamental to PSU's success. They screened until one of our bigs were on their two best three point shooters. The big didn't guard them closely and they had wide open threes. Tricia never changed her switching strategy nor did she try Dykstra or any other option off the bench. Coach, you are better than that and the team deserved more as they played hard.

Thanks to the seniors for some great basketball while you were here. Looking forward to next year.
PSU was also content to go to end of shot clock then get that switch and not much time to adjust. If they shoot even 35 % we are right in it at half. We missed some shots inside as well. When we held them to 34 or whatever it was they couldn't hit a shot.

Sports is not bigger than life

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:34 pm

After listening to press conference and my own experience coaching youth softball two thing came to mind.

Regarding Coach Binford- somewhere along the line during the season struggled to find the balance of trying to get the girls doing the right thing and overthinking and not playing free.

Players- girls are naturally insanely hard on themselves especially when the journey to win a championship meant so much to them. Forgot how to play in the moment and tried to be perfect at everything versus playing fast and fun like in years past.

Could have used a pep talk from Sprinkle.

Sprinkle in his press conference coached his team up for this moment from day 1 and talked about it with team. Men’s team played loose.

Something to consider.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:12 pm

A side note is that PSU’s assistant coach Keithan Gregg is from Cut Bank and married to the head coach. I believe he won a couple state B titles and played for UGF. I always like to see the small town kids make some waves outside of MT.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:12 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:34 pm
After listening to press conference and my own experience coaching youth softball two thing came to mind.

Regarding Coach Binford- somewhere along the line during the season struggled to find the balance of trying to get the girls doing the right thing and overthinking and not playing free.

Players- girls are naturally insanely hard on themselves especially when the journey to win a championship meant so much to them. Forgot how to play in the moment and tried to be perfect at everything versus playing fast and fun like in years past.

Could have used a pep talk from Sprinkle.

Sprinkle in his press conference coached his team up for this moment from day 1 and talked about it with team. Men’s team played loose.

Something to consider.

Young women being hard on themselves is such a perceptive point and a trend in Big Sky women's hoops. I can think of three other times that the defending tournament champion brought back a large portion of their roster, including league headliners, repeated as league champions or co champions and got drilled in their first game of the tournament. It happened to Idaho State last year.

Since the tournament moved to a neutral site, there has not been a repeat tournament champion.