Big Sky Women’s Basketball Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Big Sky Women’s Basketball Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:41 pm

Goodbye Weber!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Women’s Basketball Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:43 pm

Idaho State lost Callie Bourne to an ACL injury in practice this week so is playing shorthanded against PSU. Have to like the matchup here for MSU tomorrow no matter who wins.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:48 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:43 pm
Idaho State lost Callie Bourne to an ACL injury in practice this week so is playing shorthanded against PSU. Have to like the matchup here for MSU tomorrow no matter who wins.
I agree. Bad news for Callie, getting injured right before the tournament. I won’t miss her roughhouse style, though.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:07 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:48 pm
MSU01 wrote:
I agree. Bad news for Callie, getting injured right before the tournament. I won’t miss her roughhouse style, though.
I hate to see the kids end their career on a tough note like that.

On another note, NAU leading scorer for most of the season Montana Oltrogee, who suffered a bad knee injury “did” return to the line up and played about 14 minutes the last two games of the season. If you watched the game in which she was injured I would not have bet on her returning. Will be interesting to see how much she can contribute during the tourney.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:11 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:07 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:48 pm
MSU01 wrote:
I hate to see the kids end their career on a tough note like that.

On another note, NAU leading scorer for most of the season Montana Oltrogee, who suffered a bad knee injury “did” return to the line up and played about 14 minutes the last two games of the season. If you watched the game in which she was injured I would not have bet on her returning. Will be interesting to see how much she can contribute during the tourney.
If it’s an MCL it will hurt like blazes, but (theoretically) not much more harm can be done. I’m guessing she’s playing with a big brace.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:41 pm

Watching EWU vs lady griz. Looks like um rented a local high school band instead of bringing their own. So lame. EWU about to win. They’re pretty darn good. Definitely a dark horse to win this thing.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:44 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:41 pm
Watching EWU vs lady griz. Looks like um rented a local high school band instead of bringing their own. So lame. EWU about to win. They’re pretty darn good. Definitely a dark horse to win this thing.
What a shame to see UM go one-and-done yet again after eGriz happily celebrated MSU losing yesterday. NAU vs EWU will be a fun one.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:50 pm

EWU 72 lg 64. Both Montana teams bounced. The rest of the league is probably happy about that.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:15 pm

Sac leading Idaho 38-28 at halftime. Sac has 3 or 4 of the best players in the league but no depth. Not sure they have the gas to win three in a row. Dean was already sucking wind.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:58 pm

Sac State pretty much controlled Idaho from the tip. UI did get it to two at one point in the 3rd quarter, but then Sac reestablished themselves and ended up winning going away. I think Sac will destroy Portland State. They know how to defend the three ball much better than the Bobcats. I hope Binford and Smallwood work on that this off-season.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:44 pm

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:59 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:58 pm
Sac State pretty much controlled Idaho from the tip. UI did get it to two at one point in the 3rd quarter, but then Sac reestablished themselves and ended up winning going away. I think Sac will destroy Portland State. They know how to defend the three ball much better than the Bobcats. I hope Binford and Smallwood work on that this off-season.
Just to clarify, is it true that Sunny is the defensive coach or coordinator or whatever? I think Chris works with “bigs” and Katie (and Trish) work with the “littles”. I still believe that what seems to be an inevitable revolving door of assistant coaches influences the season’s results as much as anything.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:08 pm

NAU pulls away in the second half and will go to the championship. Looks like it could be their year, I'll be rooting for them as I've always liked Loree Payne as a coach and they've got some great players on that team.

Interesting stat, if Sac State wins the second semifinal it will be the first time either their men's or women's team has ever advanced to the Big Sky championship game.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:18 pm

Today Portland State went 3-14 from three against Sac State instead of making 15 against the Bobcats. Unbelievable. PSU didn't even get 15 threes up today, let along make that many. I'm just really disappointed in Binford's lack of adjustments in that game. Everybody knew PSU's only chance was if they made a lot of threes-and we let them do it.

Sac State vs NAU in the final should be a good one. I think NAU wins with fresher legs and more depth, but a Sac win wouldn't be a huge surprise. Sac's first ever trip to a Big Sky title game in basketball-men's or women. I don't think that coach is going to be there very long.

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:43 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:18 pm
Today Portland State went 3-14 from three against Sac State instead of making 15 against the Bobcats. Unbelievable. PSU didn't even get 15 threes up today, let along make that many. I'm just really disappointed in Binford's lack of adjustments in that game. Everybody knew PSU's only chance was if they made a lot of threes-and we let them do it.

Sac State vs NAU in the final should be a good one. I think NAU wins with fresher legs and more depth, but a Sac win wouldn't be a huge surprise. Sac's first ever trip to a Big Sky title game in basketball-men's or women. I don't think that coach is going to be there very long.
Yes, I thought the same exact thing. The other two number one seeds, NAU and Sac State, showed up. We didn't. It's one thing when your shots are not falling, but playing intense defense is simply a matter of pride, effort and coaching, and we didn't get it done against PSU.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:38 pm

Sac State is very impressive in this title game. They’re just stomping NAU. This team has some serious talent and might make some noise in the tournament if manage to not be a 16 seed.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:21 pm

Congrats to Sac State, they were clearly the best team by the end of the year. So tough for women's teams out of the Big Sky to do much in the NCAAs since the first round is played in home arenas of the top seeds. The good news is that Sac is #89 in the Net rankings so should avoid the dreaded 16 seed like MSU had last year.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:49 pm

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:15 pm

I come away from the women's tournament concerned that the rest of the conference is leaving us behind. The size and skill of bigs on most other teams will be significantly superior to ours next year. Our guard play is and will likely remain lackluster. Most concerning is the coaching staff's inability to put together game plans that put our players in a position do well and to make in game adjustments that are successful. Hope I'm missing something.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:03 pm

As I watched Sac State today I was very impressed by their perimeter shooting and really outstanding post play. I agree that at the end of the season they are definitely the best team in the Big Sky. Our MSU lady Cats did indeed defeat Sac State once this year and we also had a very good record. For some reason we seemed to peak a bit too early. We had the great win AT Portland State, defeating them by 29 points, but then really fell off the last two games. I too, am really concerned about where we will fit in the Big Sky next year and going forward. From what I understand some of those great players at Sac State were obtained in the portal. We better be looking to do the same.