WBB at NAU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: WBB at NAU

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:54 am

nevadacat wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:54 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:05 pm
This was supposed to be The Year of the Bobcat. Juniors and seniors. Three and four years of experience. Yet somehow, they seem to have taken a step back. Forcing the ball inside, even against numbers. Sub-par ball movement leading to poor looks and forced shots. A well-oiled machine without the oil.

But I wonder if tonight they weren’t still feeling the effects of the illness that apparently affected several / many of the players, combined with the elevation? I didn’t keep track all game, but when was the last time they stayed in a zone defense a lot or all of the game? Sounds like a team that had no legs, perhaps. That switching man-to-man they usually play requires a lot of effort and focus.

Go, ‘Cats. I think they’ll get it back together. 💙 💛 😺
I was thinking the same thing. We need to get over the “sophomore slump” that arrived one and two years late. There are two veterans — starters — whose performance of late has been consistently underwhelming. As much as Coach Binford substitutes, altitude should not have been an issue. Jackson was one who had been ill lately, but she seemed to have had a decent game. This appears more so mental, than physical.

Twenty-three turnovers!
One is definitely Limardo (underwhelming for most of 2 ½ years IMHO), is your other White?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 am

Definitely a head scratcher…

Huge game regarding the conf title chase…. and to not even show up is pretty disappointing.

Hopefully they can bounce back!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:42 am

I believe Loree has been in this individual's clinics. 27 of the 70 shots NAU took last night were threes and by and large, the rest were layups.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/04/f ... aily-cover

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:34 pm

I was thinking about our offense while I was watching the game last night. After the Stockton year, just three years ago in the Fallyn Frieje year of 2019-2020 (covid tournament) when Darian was a freshman, we ran off a streak of four games where we averaged over 100 points per game. Coach Bin wanted a shot (if one was there) within 10 seconds in transition to beat the defense, and then they ran their motion offense to perfection. Good shots (and good shooting) resulted. Starting with Stockton, they did this for several years.

Now the offense has morphed back toward the dribble-drive they had previously. And it’s not working.

There has been a high churn rate in assistant coaches. I don’t really know much about our assistants now, but every time we lost a Julian Assibey, a Nate Stewart (right name?), a Kati Burrows Mobley, a Blaire Braxton it has seemed like a small step backwards. Peyton Ferris came and went quickly.

Okay, I’m not really being a grumpy old fan. I’m just old, far from grumpy. And they are still in first place in the conference. But I think like all of us, I am concerned. The terrible starts in some games have been out of character, in fact a reversal to the hot starts we had so often. And the “what happened to the real ‘Cats?” 29-point loss in Flagstaff is unprecedented in the last nine years.

Since a lot of it (aside from my concerns about the offense which I have voiced before) seems mental, what is happening? Are there locker room splits? I hope not. I truly do. But something has seemed off all year. I think we’ve all felt it. I’m just concerned. They were such a joyous bunch for a few years — for the players’ sake I hope they aren’t losing the fun factor. Go, ‘Cats! 💙💛😺

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm

Just a thought here....maybe all the top talent we seem to be getting is causing the team to lack hunger. Maybe we have too much potential and not enough "get it done now".

2024 Resume dominance

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:48 am

The last time I went to the big sky tournament we were expected to do well but both our teams were one and done. I’m starting to get anxious

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:32 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm
Just a thought here....maybe all the top talent we seem to be getting is causing the team to lack hunger. Maybe we have too much potential and not enough "get it done now".
A team can have all the hunger and desire in the world and will still come out and lay an egg once in a while like they did on Thursday. Flagstaff is probably the last place you want to go play coming off a tough weekend where you had to fight through illness and a very strong opponent in Sac State to get your two wins.

This is still a first place team with a pretty favorable remaining schedule and a history from last year of playing their best basketball at the most important times. Doubting them after one loss will likely go about as well as it did for those who proclaimed doom for MSU football after their game against NAU.

bobcat2651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat2651 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:54 pm

thought it would be harder to make nau look like stanford

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:55 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:32 am
Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm
A team can have all the hunger and desire in the world and will still come out and lay an egg once in a while like they did on Thursday. Flagstaff is probably the last place you want to go play coming off a tough weekend where you had to fight through illness and a very strong opponent in Sac State to get your two wins.

This is still a first place team with a pretty favorable remaining schedule and a history from last year of playing their best basketball at the most important times. Doubting them after one loss will likely go about as well as it did for those who proclaimed doom for MSU football after their game against NAU.
I was just thinking that Limardo, White, and Bad Bear especially don't seem as effective tive as they were in the past couple of years. I noticed that they don't take good shots mostly because the offense doesn't get them into good position and they just throw something up on the run or take a three with someone in their face. NAU was getting open looks for 3 and uncontested layups all during the game. The tournament is going to be grueling and we have a lot of depth. Fatigue should not be a factor. White should be able to stop Skenk (sp) from getting all the points. The open looks at 3 should be contested.
Also the talent level is getting a lot more even with the portal.

2024 Resume dominance