WBB versus Arizona State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB versus Arizona State

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:43 pm

I can't believe Treasure Hunt #12.
Must be about 6' 5" 210 lbs. with a "Cleopatra" hair do. Stands out at the 3 pt circle (doing her nails or texting) turns around gets a pass and drains it...then goes back to texting!

I'd like to know exactly what our post players are looking at when they turn around to shoot near the basket. Everything looks good until they shoot it. They must have their eyes closed. I can't believe how many close in shots they miss.

2024 Resume dominance

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:01 pm
I lose sight of them as soon as they enter mid court. Should have come up with an alternate home color besides white...or some kind of stripe so you can see them.
I'm not sold on the new court...might look good in person, but annoying on TV.
C'mon Cats make it respectable. Use your invisibility!
Looks fine on. My screen

Sports is not bigger than life

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:02 pm

We could not make a shot first quarter but got a lot of good ones. Played pretty well rest of game. Much more aggressive in second half. We will be really good.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:12 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:02 pm
We could not make a shot first quarter but got a lot of good ones. Played pretty well rest of game. Much more aggressive in second half. We will be really good.
Yep, that's just one really really bad quarter tonight. Hopefully that's the last time it happens. MSU is deep with talent.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:46 pm

Really disappointing. We get a Pac-12 team in here, and frankly, not a very good Pac-12 team, and completely lay an egg in that first quarter. It was like Stanford all over again. Coach needs to figure out how to get this team to play with some confidence and swagger against these teams. After going down 20-0 or whatever it was we played them pretty even. If not for leaving 10 points on the table from the line and only making 2 three pointers it would have been a game. We just couldn't get over the 15 point hump in that 3rd quarter despite lots of opportunities. We should do better against North Dakota on Friday.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:17 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:46 pm
Really disappointing. We get a Pac-12 team in here, and frankly, not a very good Pac-12 team, and completely lay an egg in that first quarter. It was like Stanford all over again. Coach needs to figure out how to get this team to play with some confidence and swagger against these teams. After going down 20-0 or whatever it was we played them pretty even. If not for leaving 10 points on the table from the line and only making 2 three pointers it would have been a game. We just couldn't get over the 15 point hump in that 3rd quarter despite lots of opportunities. We should do better against North Dakota on Friday.
Lot different than Stanford in my opinion. There we could hardly get shots, tons of turnovers,and physically outmatched. Last night we had several good, open looks inside and out and could not make a shot. Just a few fall, way different game.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:41 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:43 pm
Must be about 6' 5" 210 lbs. with a "Cleopatra" hair do. Stands out at the 3 pt circle (doing her nails or texting) turns around gets a pass and drains it...then goes back to texting!

I'd like to know exactly what our post players are looking at when they turn around to shoot near the basket. Everything looks good until they shoot it. They must have their eyes closed. I can't believe how many close in shots they miss.
This has me scratching my head, too. Tough to see on TV if shots are being partially blocked, they are getting fouled with no call, or they are flat misses. Seems like no one gets off the floor and goes up strong. We had some nearly automatic turn-around jumper shooters two seasons back. I’m hard-pressed to remember a make since then. Shooting in the paint really needs work.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:46 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I agree with you 100%! Seems like when we step out on the court that we’re instantly intimidated against teams that are suppose to be better. Bad Bear and Janssen aren’t bring it at all. Between the two of them, 6 rebounds the whole game. I don’t know how Binford can get attitude out of some of the bigs, but Janssen wasted a lot of minutes on the floor. Her defense was weak and she tried to hide on offense. I’m only saying this because out of all our players she might be the best athlete. She has got to step it up. I keep hearing this team is going to be great and the talent level is high. I agree on paper, but disagree on the court. You don’t get behind by 20 points before you score a point. Yes they did fight back after the first quarter, but it was already too late. I guess the question is ……. Who is our alpha dog on the court? Who can go out and make a shot when we need one. Who thinks every rebound is theirs? Do we have that player?

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:56 am

nevadacat wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:41 am
Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:43 pm

This has me scratching my head, too. Tough to see on TV if shots are being partially blocked, they are getting fouled with no call, or they are flat misses. Seems like no one gets off the floor and goes up strong. We had some nearly automatic turn-around jumper shooters two seasons back. I’m hard-pressed to remember a make since then. Shooting in the paint really needs work.
I am out spoken on this, but, other than layups, absolutely none of these players use the glass with any frequency.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:37 am

Catlady wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:46 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I agree with you 100%! Seems like when we step out on the court that we’re instantly intimidated against teams that are suppose to be better. Bad Bear and Janssen aren’t bring it at all. Between the two of them, 6 rebounds the whole game. I don’t know how Binford can get attitude out of some of the bigs, but Janssen wasted a lot of minutes on the floor. Her defense was weak and she tried to hide on offense. I’m only saying this because out of all our players she might be the best athlete. She has got to step it up. I keep hearing this team is going to be great and the talent level is high. I agree on paper, but disagree on the court. You don’t get behind by 20 points before you score a point. Yes they did fight back after the first quarter, but it was already too late. I guess the question is ……. Who is our alpha dog on the court? Who can go out and make a shot when we need one. Who thinks every rebound is theirs? Do we have that player?
At least last night, they looked a heck of a lot better with Hein and Dykstra out there than any other combo.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 am

Last night I saw Fallyn Freije at the game. Now...THERE was a go-to player who had swagger and who made shots. As has been pointed out NAU lost to ASU 69-68, so ASU was not some kind of top 10 team that we could not compete with. We had them at home and our team simply did not come close to stepping up. We shot 20 % for the game plus missed 10 free throws. The players did not appear to be in the game mentally or physically. Certainly not the team I expected to see. Very very disappointing effort in front of the home crowd

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:53 pm

I thought we hustled, but our shooting was atrocious. What was very disappointing was that we had very little trouble getting good, open looks…but then we would miss every time. I remember a couple years ago we played Gonzaga at home and we had trouble with their size to get off many shots. But ASU, even though big, did nothing special to stop us from getting good shots. We should have won this game with even an average shooting night.

This is my first time seeing the lady Cats except for their scrimmage. My impression is that we may not be starting the right people. Kola, Darian, and Katelynn should start for sure. I love Leah Beatties hustle and grit, but she needs to knock down open shots. If she does not do that better consistently, I wonder if Grace Beasley should be starting with Darian. And sorry to Cat Lady, but Jansen is just not athletic at all. She can bring some offense off the bench with her shooting at times, but her defense and rebounding are liabilities. She is just not a very good inside player. After watching freshman Marah Dykstra and her rebounding, she may be starting soon. Lindsey Hein is still a work in progress, but she certainly has lots of potential with her size and raw ability.

I was also super impressed with Dylan Phillips. As a freshman she did not seem to be intimidated at all in this game. We really have at least 4 very good guards and I think Dylan may be Darian’s replacement next year (unless Darian stays one more year).

hoopsforhope
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hoopsforhope » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:34 pm

If they had hit those first two threes - it would have been a different game.
The bench looks deep. The crowd was nice.
Lets go bobcats - you shoot better than this.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Lots has already been posted about the many disappointments from this game and most of them have some true merit. There are many things that we know are positive with this team even if they weren't all visible last night. First and foremost, this entire team fought to the very end and to see that in a game like last night's should tell us that their fight will always be there. More good news is that was the worst shooting they've ever had and it's not likely it'll ever be that bad again. We know the good quality of all the returners, and it looks like every one of the new players is good with some of them being young and look to have very high ceilings to what they can develop into. I'm very excited to see them on Friday night and the rest of the season.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:57 pm

aucat wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 am
Last night I saw Fallyn Freije at the game. Now...THERE was a go-to player who had swagger and who made shots. As has been pointed out NAU lost to ASU 69-68, so ASU was not some kind of top 10 team that we could not compete with. We had them at home and our team simply did not come close to stepping up. We shot 20 % for the game plus missed 10 free throws. The players did not appear to be in the game mentally or physically. Certainly not the team I expected to see. Very very disappointing effort in front of the home crowd
Wow, that team had too many alpha dogs! Freije, Braxton, Squires, Smith and Martell……… maybe that’s the problem, we’ve gotten spoiled and expect that from every team! I think Bad Bear has it in her, but didn’t see it last night. Adversity is part of the game and you’re going to miss shots, but we looked inept in the first quarter. I’m starting to think our starters are too comfortable. We use to dominate on the offensive boards…… now not a blip. Hope Binford shakes things up and make the starters earn their spots based on performance……. Not last year. When Janssen is aggressive she can dominate, but another lost summer not in the weight room. Her turnovers are purely from lack of strength.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:36 am

nevadacat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:36 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:42 pm
I just turned it on late and apparently I haven't seen a women's game yet this year. Who is this new announcer? She barely says anything. I hate to be critical of somebody doing a job I can't do, but yikes. I'm getting lonely here.
Same gal who did volleyball. Actually wasn’t too bad at that. I have a feeling she’s very new at all of this.
Terrible. James Harden while the game is going on? And a very poorly modulated voice. No strategy info (man or zone even), no interpretation of official’s calls. I can’t do this job, no way, but I can be critical because quite frankly, she cannot do the job either.

I tuned in the radio broadcast on the Radio Pup app, easily synched it to ESPN+ by pausing the TV for about three seconds and really enjoyed the radio call of the new voice of women’s basketball (and manager of operations) Daniel Sallee. A real pro! Do this and you can enjoy ESPN+ again. Why, oh why, are they (Learfield?) wasting the resources to have two voice streams? Put Daniel Sallee on ESPN+, problem solved.

bobcat2651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat2651 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:39 pm

i think the announcer should talk about the players and the game instead of going on minutes long tangents about hockey players etc. nobody knows or cares about during the game