Mbb Scrimmage vs. CS-Fullerton 10/15

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Mbb Scrimmage vs. CS-Fullerton 10/15

Post by lv2hoop » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:57 pm

The Bobcat men will be at UNLV this Saturday to scrimmage CS-Fullerton. The home opening exhibition is on Sunday, 10/30 vs. the MSU-B men. Official season opening game is on Monday, Nov. 7th as the Bobcats travel to Phoenix to play at Grand Canyon. This is the second game at Grand Canyon during Coach Sprinkle's tenure. GCU, although fairly new to D1, is becoming known as a strong program out West and especially noted for their strong home crowd support.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Mbb Scrimmage vs. CS-Fullerton 10/15

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:06 am

So who is the starting five this year. I would love to see some of the younger guys get some more playing time, but the guys Sprinkle has brought in look like right away contributors. Hoping we have enough minutes to keep them all happy as these guys should be very good this year.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:06 am
So who is the starting five this year. I would love to see some of the younger guys get some more playing time, but the guys Sprinkle has brought in look like right away contributors. Hoping we have enough minutes to keep them all happy as these guys should be very good this year.
Good question, I'm interested to see if Sprinkle will start both Belo and Osobor, as teams seemed to have quite a bit of trouble defending them when he started playing them together towards the end of last season. I'd guess Darius Brown will start at PG with Patterson keeping his starting spot and Raequan Battle moving in, unless Sprinkle would prefer to keep using him as the 6th man scoring weapon off the bench. Gazelas also came on strong at the end of the season especially against UNC in the regular season finale, and could easily start.

They do certainly have a lot of players to spread minutes around to, hopefully the 2nd year players (Lecholat, McMahon, Germer) are ready for a larger role and the minutes are there for them.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:49 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Good question, I'm interested to see if Sprinkle will start both Belo and Osobor, as teams seemed to have quite a bit of trouble defending them when he started playing them together towards the end of last season. I'd guess Darius Brown will start at PG with Patterson keeping his starting spot and Raequan Battle moving in, unless Sprinkle would prefer to keep using him as the 6th man scoring weapon off the bench. Gazelas also came on strong at the end of the season especially against UNC in the regular season finale, and could easily start.

They do certainly have a lot of players to spread minutes around to, hopefully the 2nd year players (Lecholat, McMahon, Germer) are ready for a larger role and the minutes are there for them.
I agree with those 2nd year guys and they should get some playing time and I hope its enough to keep them around as those three could be starters the following year I believe. I think Germer will be another year or so out as with redshirting last year. They will be solid and shouldn't lose any strength on substitution. I just hope Tyler can get into a good shooting streak as if he can they will really spread out this office and allow the big guys to power in and Ray to be able to have open lanes to drive in to the hoop. Man I am excited for Bobcat Basketball.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:27 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
The only person I feel 100% about starting is Belo.

I think Battle will start but I would not 100% guarantee it

Sprinkle recruit to the team three transfers who were all conference for their previous leagues, so you have to count them very much into the mix.

At Point Guard will be a battle between transfers Brown and Ford. Brown seems to have an edge over ford based on the European trip, but I hear Ford was not 100% this summer so if healthy I would not count him out for a starting spot. That said though I see both playing a lot of minutes and I see them playing together also. As such I could see a scenario where both could start.

At the wings I really see Battle taking one of those spots, but again not guaranteed. Patterson returns and his defense and shooting are to something that Sprinkle really values. That said though I really think transfer Caleb Fuller is a player to watch this year and it may be tough to keep him out of the starting lineup. Let’s also not forget Gazelas. If Gazelas does not start I think he will be a prime contented for BSC 6-man by the end of the season. At the wings it could come down to who worked harder in the off season!

The 4 spot (not necessarily the power forward spot) I see Osobor as a future star in the Big Sky Conference but is this year or next. We are going to see Sprinkle go with 4 guards (PG & 3 wings if you prefer) and in such a case I could see would see Patterson at the four spot (possibly Fuller as well). Believe it or not I think the key to Osobor starting will be the development of Lecholat. If Sprinkle has confidence, he can get quality minutes as part of the rotation that may give him the confidence Sprinkle can play Osobor and Belo together major minutes.

As far as young players:
Miller (true freshman) had a great European trip, looked great and was dead eye from deep beyond the three-point line. I want to, though, see what he can do against D-1 Caliber talent and most of all speed.
Germer (RS Freshman) also had a good trip. He will play the 4 spot for the Bobcats but could really stretch the floor with his shooting ability.
McMahon Sprinkle has always been high on. I think Sprinkle is looking for him to play significant minutes or red-shirt him and save eligibility.
Colceag, I know almost nothing about him, so I am curious to see his talent level. Good candidate for a redshirt, but I will be tickled to death if he proves me wrong

CascadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CascadeCat » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:56 pm

Any feedback on the scrimmage anyone?

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:25 am

I haven't heard anything on how the scrimmage went either.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:04 am

Did they do an open scrimmage the weekend of homecoming with ex players in attendance. Thought I read that somewhere

Sports is not bigger than life