New MBB asst

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

New MBB asst

Post by Willneal » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:53 pm

Andy Hill former Griz and Utah and U of New Mexico Asst is joint the Cata staff

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: New MBB asst

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 pm

Wow, pretty impressive by Danny to get a guy who was currently employed in the Mountain West. Must be a good year for MSU and assistants named Hill!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:40 pm

Wow! Looks to be a great hire!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:20 pm

This is his bio from the Lobos athletics page. Welcome Coach Hill!

https://golobos.com/coach/andy-hill/

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm

Why is it that he’s available? From Utah to UNM to MSU. Coaching changes? Sounds like a great addition to the staff.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:05 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm
Why is it that he’s available? From Utah to UNM to MSU. Coaching changes? Sounds like a great addition to the staff.
Lobo fans were speculating he wanted to “go home”. They were wishing him well.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:07 pm

imacat wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:05 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm
Lobo fans were speculating he wanted to “go home”. They were wishing him well.
If he truly wants to "go home" MSU basketball is a perfect place for him. His resume reads like he's ready to be a head coach, and being on Sprinkle's staff may put him in a great position to get there soon.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:55 am

For those of us with a little (some cases a lot) of grey hair in our profesional line of work some times "Fit" is more of a motivating factor in choosing where you want to work. Some times the right "Fit" can help you advance better in your profesional carrier than the more obviuos (or lucerative) choice can. You roll the dice, bet on yourself (and the company).

I do not know why Andy Hill decided to join the Bobcat staff, but remember he was asked personally by Coustello to apply for the Bobcat basketball head coaching job when Fish was let go. I am just tickled to death, he wanted to join our staff. This is such a huge positive reflection of what other coaches feel about what Sprinkle is doing here at MSU. Now, I am not sure how long we will be able to keep him here, as the Bobcat program continues to succeed, but MSU could be a place where young talented coaches want to be to further their success!

Go Cats Go!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:55 am
For those of us with a little (some cases a lot) of grey hair in our profesional line of work some times "Fit" is more of a motivating factor in choosing where you want to work. Some times the right "Fit" can help you advance better in your profesional carrier than the more obviuos (or lucerative) choice can. You roll the dice, bet on yourself (and the company).

I do not know why Andy Hill decided to join the Bobcat staff, but remember he was asked personally by Coustello to apply for the Bobcat basketball head coaching job when Fish was let go. I am just tickled to death, he wanted to join our staff. This is such a huge positive reflection of what other coaches feel about what Sprinkle is doing here at MSU. Now, I am not sure how long we will be able to keep him here, as the Bobcat program continues to succeed, but MSU could be a place where young talented coaches want to be to further their success!

Go Cats Go!
I like your thinking! We realistically probably can never get to the point of paying enough to keep coaches long term unless we find someone like Trish Binford who may move on some day also when her kids are out of school. But getting a reputation of having a winning program in a good location and solid leadership like Costello and Cruzado will attract a lot of good people.

A true story. I worked for a guy one time who always had good people working for him. He never tried to "hoard" his best performers like some bosses do. I watched kinda in awe for a couple years. He would bring people in, give them responsible jobs for 2 to 3 years then HE would push them and sell them to better jobs up the food chain. I always wondered why he did that because losing those good folks obviously going to hurt the organization right?!.... but then I watched another young guy or gal come in behind them that was obviously a "high flyer" and he would repeat the cycle. He developed a reputation where if you wanted to get ahead you would take a job with him and he would push you up and develop you well. Fun.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:50 am

But will he be able to afford a house. :twisted:

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 pm

After this market shakeup (and interest rate increase) trickles down housing will be a lot cheaper, if anyone has money left to pay for one. May your shorts be long.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:29 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 pm
After this market shakeup (and interest rate increase) trickles down housing will be a lot cheaper, if anyone has money left to pay for one. May your shorts be long.
I tend to agree with you although I have heard differenting opinions on the matter. If you/me are correct though, those people in Missoula, Bozeman and the Kalispell arear that have bought homes in the past 2-3 years are going to be really bad spot!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:23 pm

Do you mean in a bad spot because values will drop. If they locked in a fixed rate, and intended to stay in the house, shouldn't be impacted.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:10 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:23 pm
Do you mean in a bad spot because values will drop. If they locked in a fixed rate, and intended to stay in the house, shouldn't be impacted.
If prices come back down some, those who bought when they were higher could find themselves upside down in their mortgage. Owe more than the house is worth.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:42 pm

mslacat wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:10 pm
tetoncat wrote:
If prices come back down some, those who bought when they were higher could find themselves upside down in their mortgage. Owe more than the house is worth.
Stories abound of out-of-state buyers snapping up 4-5 houses for cash, hoping to hold them a year or two and sell them for huge gains. And that perhaps explains some of the Airbnbs and VRBOs that came on the market. It’s like buying a quickly appreciating equity that pays good dividends, too. (I heard this in person from my cousin who is married to a successful broker in ND. I’ve no reason to doubt her.) New coaches may find themselves in a buyer’s market in the foreseeable future.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:14 pm

mslacat wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:10 pm
tetoncat wrote:

It's like any other investment, only lose if you sell. So might be upside down for a while, but their ability to afford the payment hasn't changed if they locked in. Keep the house and at some point should come back. Only issue is if they did variable rate and that increases.