Summer Updates on WBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Summer Updates on WBB

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Kinda dull over here on the basketball forum for WBB…..

Just updates that probably most everyone has seen already……

> Summer camps for the school kids start in June. Our ladies do a great job helping lead the camps….and have a little fun with the kids too.

> Gabby Mocchi….finished her degree in exercise science and has been accepted into a Chiropractor program in Minnesota. I asked and she said she is foregoing her last year of BB at this time because of workload and school demands. She said her first semester school will be something like 30 hours…..I couldn’t have done that…could you have done that?

> Ashley VanSickle….finishes her Masters Degree program at MSU this summer. She has been accepted at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado to play her last year of college BB. I think most people know she is from Arvada which abuts Golden so almost like going home. Ashley going to CSM will join her sister on that team! Thats kinda a neat way to finish out her career!

Thanks again to Gabby and Ashley for your contributions to the WBB program at MSU!

> Kenzie Stumne has moved to the position of student assistant for the coaching staff.

> Rhema Gardner is leaving the coaching staff returning closer to her roots. She has accepted a position as DOBO at UC Santa Barbara.

> Looking forward to the start of summer workouts a bit later with new players Beasley, Olson, Philip and Dykstra joining the team as well as redshirt Hein returning after her injury year. Will be interesting to see how the new group fits and if it changes the dynamics with the very strong returning core players. Just on paper this looks like another strong team.

> And Over the Hill in Grisville people already were aware that Sophia Stiles has entered the portal. She was a key cog in the program and former Montana Gatorade Player of the year from Malta.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Summer Updates on WBB

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:36 pm

@BobcatDel Thank you very much for the good update. Good stuff. The worst thing about being a remote fan is, well, being remote. I really enjoy catching up on the personal side. Happy for Ashley. Kind of a bittersweet until the news of getting to play with her sister. That’s a lifetime deal and I hope she has a great season. As her career went on I could see why Trish recruited her in the first place. She was really a smart player (will she coach?), came up big in clutch times, and was a full-on competitor! Good on ball defender and a really good passer — fun to watch. Gabby is brave, going into school like that. She’ll be successful at whatever she tries. I cringe at a class load like that. I know it’s a washout technique, but still — every time my doctor makes a mistake I wonder if he was a walking zombie during that part of his education.

Seems like a big entry class after having six new ones two years ago. I think key is will they meld and become a team because the talent is there in bunches it seems. Trish will figure it out. I hope we can keep a stable coaching staff for a few years.

Thanks again.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 pm

Thanks for the news BobcatDel.

Interesting move for Stumne. I assume she’s retiring early and this isn’t some sort of player/coach scenario?

It looks like recruit Marah Dykstra is busy this June playing for the Canadian national U18 team. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/ca ... -1.6470985. I am really excited to see her in the blue & gold.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 pm

Last semester the WBB posted a 3.51 team GPA.
Four players on the President’s list.
Four players on the Dean’s list.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:44 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 pm

Interesting move for Stumne. I assume she’s retiring early and this isn’t some sort of player/coach scenario?

It looks like recruit Marah Dykstra is busy this June playing for the Canadian national U18 team. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/ca ... -1.6470985. I am really excited to see her in the blue & gold.
Heady stuff. Looks like the all-Ontario team. Marah must have made a big impression to get invited from Vancouver.

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:38 pm

Daniel Salle named director of operations.

https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/6/10/w ... staff.aspx

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:43 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:44 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 pm

Heady stuff. Looks like the all-Ontario team. Marah must have made a big impression to get invited from Vancouver.
https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/6/10/w ... squad.aspx

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:44 am

imacat wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:38 pm
Daniel Salle named director of operations.

https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/6/10/w ... staff.aspx
Welcome Daniel!!! Looking forward to your support and help with the Bobcat WBB program!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:48 am

imacat wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 pm
Last semester the WBB posted a 3.51 team GPA.
Four players on the President’s list.
Four players on the Dean’s list.
=D^ =D^ \:D/ Nice work ladies! You excelled at the “Student” part of the term “Student Athlete” just putting icing on top of the “Athlete” performance winning the Big Sky tourney this year.

Bobcat4Ever

Re: Summer Updates on WBB — Marah Dykstra

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:12 pm

Looks like we can watch Marah Dykstra play (via YouTube) for the Canadian National U18 Team in the FIBA tournament in Buenos Aires. Let’s give her a good Bobcat turnout (if you’re not driving down for the game)! 💙💛😺

To help with the time: This was localized to my PDT timezone. So MDT (GMT-6) would only be three hours ahead, which would be 3 p.m. Monday afternoon.

Complete tournament info: https://www.fiba.basketball/americas/u18women/2022

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 pm

That’s great information! Can’t wait to watch. Thanks Bobcat4Ever!
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:12 pm
Looks like we can watch Marah Dykstra play (via YouTube) for the Canadian National U18 Team in the FIBA tournament in Buenos Aires. Let’s give her a good Bobcat turnout (if you’re not driving down for the game)! 💙💛😺

To help with the time: This was localized to my PDT timezone. So MDT (GMT-6) would only be three hours ahead, which would be 3 p.m. Monday afternoon.

imacat

Post by imacat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:31 pm

=D^ =D^ \:D/ Nice work ladies! You excelled at the “Student” part of the term “Student Athlete” just putting icing on top of the “Athlete” performance winning the Big Sky tourney this year.
[/quote]

Binford’s teams have a long history of academic success.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:07 pm

4Mare wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

The game just ended on YouTube. All I can say is good job, Coach Binford. She also has a long history of athletic excellence and awards and Marah will fit in just fine! Big Sky basketball is exactly approximately 3.141592 ** 34th times rougher than the FIBA game was (not criticizing FIBA, it was good) so she’ll need to strengthen but that’s true of every high school player. The experience Marah is getting playing with the Canada U18 team is invaluable.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:21 am

Can't wait to see the team play next year! With ISU's major losses in the transfer portal that MSU avoided, the Bobcats will almost certainly be the pre-season title pick. I'll be interested to see what the schedule looks like and in particular the non-conference games. MSU's poor performance in its month-long road trip last year to start the season really hurt its seeding come NCAA Tournament time, so hopefully we see a few more home games this time around.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:20 pm

It hurt the seeding but helped us win the championship.

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:06 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:20 pm
It hurt the seeding but helped us win the championship.
Exactly. But I think they listened to me (haha 😂) and you might get the best of both worlds — aren’t the women hosting an early-season tournament?

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:47 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:07 pm
4Mare wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

The game just ended on YouTube. All I can say is good job, Coach Binford. She also has a long history of athletic excellence and awards and Marah will fit in just fine! Big Sky basketball is exactly approximately 3.141592 ** 34th times rougher than the FIBA game was (not criticizing FIBA, it was good) so she’ll need to strengthen but that’s true of every high school player. The experience Marah is getting playing with the Canada U18 team is invaluable.
I’ve watched the better part of the first two games and Binford’s descriptions of Dykstra are spot on. She can guard any where on the court, makes her teammates look good, and is a relentless rebounder. I was hoping for a better scoring show out of her but that might be a result of what the coaches are asking from her on this all star team.

hoopsforhope
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hoopsforhope » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:31 pm

Marah dropped 13 points and grabbed 13 boards to go along with three assists, earning her @toyotacanada Drive of the Game honours!
Double double and top rebounder in whole tournament after day 3.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:44 pm

hoopsforhope wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:31 pm
Marah dropped 13 points and grabbed 13 boards to go along with three assists, earning her @toyotacanada Drive of the Game honours!
Double double and top rebounder in whole tournament after day 3.
I was very pleased with her passing. That’s what makes the Bobcat’s offense go.

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am

Gold medal game vs. America was on Sunday. The US blew out every country by an average of 58.8 points in 5 games but Canada was not an easy win. US won by only 5 points last night (82-77). The US was led by Kiki Rice (UCLA), Grace Van Slooten (Oregon), Isuneh Brady (UCONN), Cotie McMahon (Ohio State) & Londynn Jones (UCLA).

Marah Dykstra held her own against the US, defended the bigs and helped chase on the perimeter. She also demonstrated her floor vision and passing skills with 4 assists, 11 points, 1 block & 5 boards in 25 mins. I agree, it doesn’t look like her role on the Canadian team was a scorer but she can still get a bucket if her team needs it and find open teammates. Finished 1st in rebounds p/game and 4th in efficiency for the tournament. Great experience for the rookie before coming into the Big Sky.