Van Sickle

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Van Sickle

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:58 pm

A little surprised to see Ashley in the transfer portal, but wish her the best and appreciate her contributions to Bobcats WBB!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Van Sickle

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 am

I was under the impression that she wasn’t going to play another year. But she may as well, since she can. I suspect she has seen Grace on the 2-deep and knows she needs to move to get minutes. She was excellent this year, playing behind or beside Darian — often sort of getting the team settled down. And she is a great passer. I will miss her. She’s grown her game and her person as a ‘Cat.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 am

I agree Ashley has grown very well as a player through her career at MSU. She was a great leader this year and contributed to the teams success in several ways! Sorry to see her go, but somewhat not surprised. The coaches recruit and make offers from a three - four year window. I"m sure they didn't see the extra Covid eligibility year coming. With a limit on scholarships there's a limit to what they can do when a curve ball like Covid presents itself.
As for Ashley, I'm guessing it was a tough decision but getting a full year of grad school paid and using the extra year makes a lot of sense.
She will be an asset to any team that picks her up; I just hope it's at a school that has a great grad program.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 am
I agree Ashley has grown very well as a player through her career at MSU. She was a great leader this year and contributed to the teams success in several ways! Sorry to see her go, but somewhat not surprised. The coaches recruit and make offers from a three - four year window. I"m sure they didn't see the extra Covid eligibility year coming. With a limit on scholarships there's a limit to what they can do when a curve ball like Covid presents itself.
As for Ashley, I'm guessing it was a tough decision but getting a full year of grad school paid and using the extra year makes a lot of sense.
She will be an asset to any team that picks her up; I just hope it's at a school that has a great grad program.
Yep, this seems like one of those transfers that will benefit both the team and player involved, MSU can free up a scholarship for its incoming players and Ashley can start on a Master's Degree and play one more year of basketball under scholarship if she gets picked up by another school. Best of luck to her!

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:53 am

Hint: If Binford is going to have a player(s) honored on Senior Day, the last regular season game, then it’s highly likely that player(s) is not returning for another season, regardless of their eligibility status.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:56 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:53 am
Hint: If Binford is going to have a player(s) honored on Senior Day, the last regular season game, then it’s highly likely that player(s) is not returning for another season, regardless of their eligibility status.
I disagree, Ashley is a senior, she is graduating, if she were to stay with the team it would have been as a grad student so delaying her 'senior' day recognition would not have made sense.
I think coach Bin didn't have to make a decision until recently as sometimes players fall through and a scholarship opens up; but when the time comes she had to chose a direction.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:13 pm

It may be Montana State does not have the graduate degree option Ashley is looking for.

I wish her all the best. Thanks for representing the Bobcats well, on and off the court.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:00 pm

CatRowdy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:56 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:53 am
I disagree, Ashley is a senior, she is graduating, if she were to stay with the team it would have been as a grad student so delaying her 'senior' day recognition would not have made sense.
I think coach Bin didn't have to make a decision until recently as sometimes players fall through and a scholarship opens up; but when the time comes she had to chose a direction.
To rehash, again, this just completed season was Van Sickle's 5th year in the program and she graduated last spring and is currently a grad student. To recap:
2017-2018 Freshman
2018-2019 Sophomore
2019-2020 Injury redshirt
2020-2021 Free Covid year (she graduated)
2021-2022 Junior (grad student)

This past season, she was listed as a senior on the roster, but she was a junior NCAA eligibility wise, and academically a graduate student.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Got to interact with Ashley a little bit at the Big Sky tournament. She was really cool. I wish her nothing but the best in whatever she does.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:33 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:00 pm

This past season, she was listed as a senior on the roster, but she was a junior NCAA eligibility wise, and academically a graduate student.
You are right and your point is well taken. I sit (at the moment) corrected.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:15 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:33 pm
arvcat2 wrote:

It would be beneficial if Binford would publicly clarify her position on the Covid year. Although it’s a small sample size, to date, it appears she’s not on board with extending a year of eligibility to her players who played in 2020-2021 season. Last year, Martell left with a year of eligibility remaining & Zieske with two years remaining (maybe an exception because both of them were excellent students and were ready to get on with there life’s). This year Van Sickle and it appears Mocchi will be finished as Bobcats with a year of eligibility left.

Possibly a teaser or a misspeak by Binford, last fall in the “Inside the Brick” clip between White & Binford, coach referred to Darian as a sophomore about mid-way through the segment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2EoOvbScw
Last edited by arvcat2 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:05 am

Mocchi said she wants to pursue a graduate degree, but certain things would have to fall in place for that to be at MSU.

“If I can get another year and my body can handle it, I would love to do it, but I don’t know,” she said. “We’ll see how the season goes.”

Van Sickle is also open to the conversation, but in some ways she feels ready to move on.

“I don’t want to cut off any ties too soon, but I think that my time here has happened,” she said. “I’ve actually started applying for teaching positions, so I’m kind of looking into the future.”
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 67618.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:21 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:15 am
CatRowdy wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:

It would be beneficial if Binford would publicly clarify her position on the Covid year. Although it’s a small sample size, to date, it appears she’s not on board with extending a year of eligibility to her players who played in 2020-2021 season. Last year, Martell left with a year of eligibility remaining & Zieske with two years remaining (maybe an exception because both of them were excellent students and were ready to get on with there life’s). This year Van Sickle and it appears Mocchi will be finished as Bobcats with a year of eligibility left.

Possibly a teaser or a misspeak by Binford, last fall in the “Inside the Brick” clip between White & Binford, coach referred to Darian as a sophomore about mid-way through the segment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2EoOvbScw
I don't think Binford has a set position on the Covid year and shouldn't. Some players are ready to move on in there chosen profession once they obtain there degree, some need to be be done to open spots for incoming freshman, and some (Darian) I'm sure will have to opportunity to play an extra year.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:43 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:21 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:

I don't think Binford has a set position on the Covid year and shouldn't. Some players are ready to move on in there chosen profession once they obtain there degree, some need to be be done to open spots for incoming freshman, and some (Darian) I'm sure will have to opportunity to play an extra year.
As the head coach, yes, it’s certainly Binford’s prerogative to pick & choose who she will extend an extra year of Bobcat eligibility to resulting from the 2020-2021 Covid season. But just as this thread shows, people are confused as to what eligibility year a player is and I would point to MSU’s published roster as the reason. So, maybe for next season, how about this :D :
  • Last Name YR.
    White - Sr. but maybe a Jr.
    Hughes - So.
    Ranson - Jr. but maybe a So.
    Bad Bear - Sr. but maybe a Jr.
    Limardo - Jr. but maybe a So.
    Beattie - Jr. but maybe a So.
    Jackson - Sr. but maybe a Jr.
    Deden - Jr. but maybe a So.
    Janssen - Jr. but maybe a So.
    Stumne - R-Jr. but maybe a R-So.
    Hein - So. but maybe a R-Fr.
    Dykstra - Fr.
    Philip - Fr.
    Olson - Fr.
    Beasley - ???

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:19 am

I'm pretty sure roster limits are back to normal next year. Pick 2 of the new recruits that you wouldn't sign.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:36 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:43 am
rivercat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:

As the head coach, yes, it’s certainly Binford’s prerogative to pick & choose who she will extend an extra year of Bobcat eligibility to resulting from the 2020-2021 Covid season. But just as this thread shows, people are confused as to what eligibility year a player is and I would point to MSU’s published roster as the reason. So, maybe for next season, how about this :D :
  • Last Name YR.
    Hughes - So.
    Dykstra - Fr.
    Philip - Fr.
    Olson - Fr.
    Beasley - ???
I look at it as undetermined more than confusing. Coach Binford has to weigh the benefit of keeping a player for a 5th year and against the cost foregoing a scholarship to a freshman or transfer. So each player will be a unique cost benefit analysis and those decisions may be a year or two down the road. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just stating that the status of a senior with an additional year of eligibility won't probably known until after they play their 4th year.

As for Hein, I would guess last year would qualify as a medical redshirt and she could be listed as a R-F.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:21 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:36 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:43 am
rivercat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:

• Last Name YR.
    Hughes - So.
    Dykstra - Fr.
    Philip - Fr.
    Olson - Fr.
    Beasley - ???
I look at it as undetermined more than confusing. Coach Binford has to weigh the benefit of keeping a player for a 5th year and against the cost foregoing a scholarship to a freshman or transfer. So each player will be a unique cost benefit analysis and those decisions may be a year or two down the road. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just stating that the status of a senior with an additional year of eligibility won't probably known until after they play their 4th year.

As for Hein, I would guess last year would qualify as a medical redshirt and she could be listed as a R-F.
First regarding Hein…I asked coach and Lindsey did not play enough to burn her redshirt so as rivercat says she is a R-Fr.

Second, yes coach has to get back to NCAA guidelines for scholarship numbers this fall.

Third, WBB is allowed 15 scholarships, 2 more than MBB, thus with Ashley leaving, the team is at guidelines now.

Finally, after the season and a bit of a “breather”, Coach Bin holds one on one discussions with each player talking about the player’s aspirations/plans and of course those can change as life happens…. but at least it sets a plan to work around. Also discussed is where they fit on the team from all the Coachs’ perspective and sometimes those are not comfortable discussions but they need to happen as a team keeps building and bringing in new and better talent. For those players that are staying they also develop improvement plans to work on in their summer program.