Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Post by SACCAT » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:36 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:26 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:31 pm
The commitment yesterday is odd. Seems like a kid looking to come here would wait until coach made his decision
My thoughts as well. Seems like, just maybe, Sprinkle is staying. I have no idea if he is or not, but it seems strange that he would recruit these kids (transfers included) and then leave.
He has to keep recruiting though in case the job isn't his. If he waits to long this kid could have jump else where and then what? I think he is gone unfortunately, but he isn't leaving the kitchen bare. I think he would have talked to the guys below him and said hey this kid is what we are looking for if I leave or stay. I would have liked to have poached the kid over the hill that just dumped his name into the portal though, but his kid looks to be solid. Either way we will be fine and hopefully our AD realizes we have two guys on the bench that would be great candidates for replacement. Russell or Haslam would both be great head coaches I believe. I just don't see both staying though if they were both to apply for the position and one gets it and the other doesn't. Time will tell!
I get that. Just seems strange to me, that is all. I agree that the cupboard isn't bare, and MSU is a stepping stone job no matter what we wish, just hope he doesn't leave quit yet (even though I wouldn't blame him one bit).

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:04 pm

If you look at Wikipedia, no head coach since the mid 50's has had a record much above 50% and the only recognizable name is Bernie Bickerstaff. Doesn't look like much of an opportunity for success that would advance your career. I hope Danny is after more than a check.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 pm

MSU needs to step the F@&K up and pay it’s coaches.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:16 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:36 pm
SACCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
The commitment yesterday is odd. Seems like a kid looking to come here would wait until coach made his decision
My thoughts as well. Seems like, just maybe, Sprinkle is staying. I have no idea if he is or not, but it seems strange that he would recruit these kids (transfers included) and then leave.
He has to keep recruiting though in case the job isn't his. If he waits to long this kid could have jump else where and then what? I think he is gone unfortunately, but he isn't leaving the kitchen bare. I think he would have talked to the guys below him and said hey this kid is what we are looking for if I leave or stay. I would have liked to have poached the kid over the hill that just dumped his name into the portal though, but his kid looks to be solid. Either way we will be fine and hopefully our AD realizes we have two guys on the bench that would be great candidates for replacement. Russell or Haslam would both be great head coaches I believe. I just don't see both staying though if they were both to apply for the position and one gets it and the other doesn't. Time will tell!
I get that. Just seems strange to me, that is all. I agree that the cupboard isn't bare, and MSU is a stepping stone job no matter what we wish, just hope he doesn't leave quit yet (even though I wouldn't blame him one bit).
I agree he needs to keep recruiting. I think my surprise is more on the recruits side. If it was my kid and there is info out there, but sure I would have them commit. But his other opportunities may close also.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:24 pm

SACCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
There's not much risk involved if the CSUN transfer has just verbally committed but hasn't signed his official LOI yet, which would seem to be the case since MSU hasn't announced or commented on the transfer. Perhaps the player is also more interested in committing to the school over committing to the coach - it's worth remembering that MSU's reigning Big Sky MVP was just about the only guy left on the team who was originally signed by Brian Fish!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:43 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:04 pm
If you look at Wikipedia, no head coach since the mid 50's has had a record much above 50% and the only recognizable name is Bernie Bickerstaff. Doesn't look like much of an opportunity for success that would advance your career. I hope Danny is after more than a check.
And how many Bobcat coaches have gone on to do big things in the same time span?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 pm

I think this clearly illustrates the fact that when we see these kinds of seasons happening for football and basketball, or any sport at this level in Bozeman…we have to simply enjoy it.

The days of coaches staying put has long since past except in the case of those who make stupid money at their schools. Bozeman is not that place, and I don’t see it happening any time soon. So, we celebrate the season, and when we hear the term “program”…we have to put the caveat in that states, “program lasts until the coach leaves”. This may sound harsh, but I think it’s honest.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:17 am

College sports is a business. Montana State hired Sprinkle to do a job and he did it very well. Although I’d hate to see him leave, I’d like to thank him for pulling the program from the depths of the BSC. I believe in Costello and feel confident that if necessary he’ll select the right replacement and we’ll continue on the right path. Earning power is a crazy thing and right now Sprinkle’s earning power is very high. He would be a fool to remain at Montana State if he found a program that offered him personal, financial and professional growth. Danny isn’t just a great Coach, but a great person too. I think this can be a win for MSU and Coach Sprinkle! Don’t want to see him go, but understand it’s a business decision. I’m sure Binford has had a lot of inquiries……… appreciate her commitment to Bozeman!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 pm
I think this clearly illustrates the fact that when we see these kinds of seasons happening for football and basketball, or any sport at this level in Bozeman…we have to simply enjoy it.

The days of coaches staying put has long since past except in the case of those who make stupid money at their schools. Bozeman is not that place, and I don’t see it happening any time soon. So, we celebrate the season, and when we hear the term “program”…we have to put the caveat in that states, “program lasts until the coach leaves”. This may sound harsh, but I think it’s honest.
Haven't we have had Binford for something like 20 years now.

And how long has DeCuire been at UM?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:34 am

Hoping we hear definitive news about Danny one way or the other today or I may set the Guinness World Record for most Twitter refreshes in a week.
wapiti wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:19 pm

Haven't we have had Binford for something like 20 years now.
Pretty close, her first season at MSU was 2005-06.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 am

If these rumors are true and this actually goes down, I think you all are being way to easy on Coach Sprinkle. Personally, I will have lost some respect for him.

The situation as I see it. The guy was an assistant coach for 20 years with no head coaching experience nor any head coaching job opportunities until his alma mater (“an old friend”) gives him a once in a lifetime opportunity to jump straight into a division 1 head coaching job. He comes back to his home state and does a fantastic job, but for only three years, with really only one good to great year, before deciding to move on.

I would like to think if I was in the same situation, I would have more loyalty to “my old friend” who gave me an unbelievable opportunity when nobody else did. I’m not saying he needs to stay here forever, but I’d like to see him at least build something that could have a lasting/sustaining success before leaving. One good year is not enough. It seems extremely self-centered, millennialish to jump ship after your first successful season, to the first school that offers you more money, one in which you have no allegiance too nor has any additional prestige to it than your current job, away from your alma matter who has given you two of the greatest opportunities of your life. Seriously, at some point, principle over money.

Again, I don’t know if any of this even has legs. Maybe it’s all hogwash and judgement should be held.

I also don’t like what it says about MSU’s commitment to success in basketball. I understand losing football coaches when you compete at a lower level, but I don’t understand how you lose a basketball coach to another fledgling mid-major basketball school. Especially, a coach that’s from your state and graduated from your school and has brought success so quickly.

If not this year?.........When?

dwainegf
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dwainegf » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:32 am

The Universities in Montana are hand cuffed by the legislature. All the salaries have to go through them and get their approval. We as boosters need to pony up any extra income above the coaches salaries to make it "harder" for coaches to leave. Getting a 3x pay raise to do a job similar to your current job, is a no brainer that almost everyone would jump at.
Anyone have the expertise to start such a booster's fund? I'll gladly pay $500/year to help keep Coach Sprinkle.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:43 am

Slackjaw wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 am
If these rumors are true and this actually goes down, I think you all are being way to easy on Coach Sprinkle. Personally, I will have lost some respect for him.

The situation as I see it. The guy was an assistant coach for 20 years with no head coaching experience nor any head coaching job opportunities until his alma mater (“an old friend”) gives him a once in a lifetime opportunity to jump straight into a division 1 head coaching job. He comes back to his home state and does a fantastic job, but for only three years, with really only one good to great year, before deciding to move on.

I would like to think if I was in the same situation, I would have more loyalty to “my old friend” who gave me an unbelievable opportunity when nobody else did. I’m not saying he needs to stay here forever, but I’d like to see him at least build something that could have a lasting/sustaining success before leaving. One good year is not enough. It seems extremely self-centered, millennialish to jump ship after your first successful season, to the first school that offers you more money, one in which you have no allegiance too nor has any additional prestige to it than your current job, away from your alma matter who has given you two of the greatest opportunities of your life. Seriously, at some point, principle over money.

Again, I don’t know if any of this even has legs. Maybe it’s all hogwash and judgement should be held.

I also don’t like what it says about MSU’s commitment to success in basketball. I understand losing football coaches when you compete at a lower level, but I don’t understand how you lose a basketball coach to another fledgling mid-major basketball school. Especially, a coach that’s from your state and graduated from your school and has brought success so quickly.
Easy to say when you aren't the one turning down the doubled salary and objectively upward move in the hierarchy of college basketball conferences. Danny is a phenomenal coach and could be a star in the profession, but he's well into his 40s and doesn't have a decade to turn down jobs to stay at MSU before moving up if he has ambitions of being a power conference head coach.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:52 am

With the current economic situation (to be kind) a sizable income leap is almost a no-brainer. Maybe they are offering an inflation-plus clause.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:03 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:43 am
Slackjaw wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 am

Easy to say when you aren't the one turning down the doubled salary and objectively upward move in the hierarchy of college basketball conferences. Danny is a phenomenal coach and could be a star in the profession, but he's well into his 40s and doesn't have a decade to turn down jobs to stay at MSU before moving up if he has ambitions of being a power conference head coach.
You're absolutely right in saying it's easy to say when you aren't the one and that's why I prefaced it with "I would like to think if I was in the same situation". But lets talk about this situation; it's not some dire situation where he's just scraping by to make ends meat, nor is it that he's spent some lengthy amount of time here where his coaching career is risking deceleration. Rather, I'd say MSU provided him his first opportunity to really accelerate his career in the 20 years he's been in the profession and I'd like to believe that that is worth seeing something through a little further than one year of success. If he is truly a great coach, which I think he is, he still has plenty of time to "cash-in". I guess I just don't like the fact that he's cashing in on a single year of success, after only three years, at the expense of the alma mater that gave him what looks like his only chance.

If not this year?.........When?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:50 pm

St Peter head coach, 4 years, 1st appearance in ncaa, in 10 years, 54-32 overall, 64 wins in 4 years, but he is going to his Alma mater Seton hall. And he was the associate head coach there before went to st Peter's. Would he have gotten that without having coached there before and being an alum. Sprinkle could have two more good years and still not get opportunity. Many can double their income moving out of state but chose to live in Montana. He makes good money, it will get better. But he also talks a lot about plans and him seeing them way back. If he has that and it includes head coach in CA or certain conferences he is gone when that job comes.

Sports is not bigger than life

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 pm

I just wonder how much success you can really expect at USD. They are always going to be behind BYU, USM, and Gonzaga in their conference at least and I feel like USC and USF also have quite the leg up on them now.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:11 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 pm
I just wonder how much success you can really expect at USD. They are always going to be behind BYU, USM, and Gonzaga in their conference at least and I feel like USC and USF also have quite the leg up on them now.
If Danny's ultimate goal is to be a major conference head coach, I don't think he necessarily needs to catch up to Gonzaga or even St. Mary's to achieve that if he has the extra exposure afforded by coaching in the WCC. Look at USF, who finished 4th in the WCC this year with an at-large NCAA bid - that was good enough to get their coach the Florida job.

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:43 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 pm
That was the conventional wisdom when Shantay Leggens hopped from EWU to Portland at this time a year ago. And now a year later, he has already upped their Kenpom ranking from somewhere in the 300's to somewhere around 160 in the country. Lots of room for improvement when you take over a program that hasn't been healthy.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:28 pm

I had friends move from Bozeman for jobs at the University of San Diego. It’s a pretty sweet school. Smallish, but plays in a conference that gets a lot of respect. No reason the right coach could not be successful there.